Landbased King outfit.

Alright all heres the story......

I'm on the hunt for an Landbased Kingfish Outfit that will throw lures/poppers/sliders aswell as baits....

Now heres the kicker, these kings are not rat kings we are talking fish of 30lb to 60lb plus and being landbased its going to be a hard task but Im up for the challenge.

I have a few ideas of what I wanna get but I thought I would get some discussion  of what other people would recommend or use.... The budget for rod and reel is around the 500 mark.....

So what would you get/use? 

Jettys? Or rocks? Might be a bit trickier from jettys with good kings, pylons don't mix with line well under tension.

Maybe a Salina 3 16000 and a decent casting (pe 8) rod like a Terez or Demon Blood (not sure if their is a casting option or budget blowing price)

Leaves $70 odd for braid and the like, okuma, although not refined as well as other reels, push massive drag pressure through the Salinas and the life time warranty is generally adhered to. So handy if the fishing is crash and bash tough on gear.

Not speaking from experience, but I looked into it a while ago and found something like that.

Fin Nor lethal 100 would be one of my top choices in reels. not too sure of the rods as that is a bit of a personal feel thing for me, just go to the local tackle shop and compare a few in your range

Fin nor lethal 100 ;)  & Selina 3 rod  has done me well as a jig livebait outfit

Scull drag 15-20kg Tuna Shame I haven't got anything bigger on it :rolleyes:

Rod wouldn't cast to well would need a bit more length,

$500 would leave a big range of rods 

How far do you want to cast the lures? On my dogfight use a Terez in the 40-100 lb range to cast lures at GTs, tuna etc. Occasionally I use it off the beach to catch big whalers, bull sharks etc and it casts a bait fairly well. They were around the low 200s. The longest one is around 2.3 metres. A rod like this would be ideal off a wharf or cliff.

I also have a Wilson Spin Land Based Game Rod, Live Fibre Spin 10' 10-24kg 1pce Rod. I use it with the dogfight as well for surf and rock work. Around $250. Places where I have found BIG kingies schooling up off rocks and cliffs during my diving don't require a long cast at all.

If I was to get a really dedicated rod it would be one of the 7'6" wilson venom spin rods. I have 2 shorter ones for spinning/jigging and bottom bouncing. They are a very impressive rod. I imagine they are in the same league as the demon blood. But I try to buy Aussie rods.

As for reels I have mates that have bought both the Lethal and the Quantam Cabo off of Alan Hawks advice and they reckon they are great reels. And if you don't end up casting too many lures maybe a good old overhead like a TLD 20 or 25 could work as well.

Well I have decided on what Im going to purchase rod wise! 

Will be grabbing a Wilson Aussie built 15-24kg rod. Still not sure on what length I will be getting, either 8ft or 10ft (probably leaning more towards the 10ft so i can use off the beach aswell)

And will more than likely be teaming it with an Okuma Salina 3 16000 mainly due to the high drag pressure, line capacity, lifetime warranty and I like the EVA handle knob. 

Then spooling up with some decent 50lb braid... It should be a serious fish puller and stop a few decent fish in its tracks!

Is the 8 foot one the RLF13?

I have got seven Live Fibre rods (i didn't now I had so many, oops), the two LBG rods, a  10-15kg spin, a 7 ft 15-24kg OH, a 8-15kg 5120 surf, a two piece 13ft 8-15 kg surf and a two piece 6kg 9 foot jobby for light beach fishing. I use the two LBG rods for exactly the same use as you plan to do but I like the length because I do use them off the beach regularly. The one thing to note with wilson rods, from my experience, is that the line ratings are a bit soft. So on the 24kg rods you wouldn't want to go much higher than that. That shot in the stopping rays thread is of the 10 ft 15-24kg OH rod and you can see the way the line is getting close to the blank.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Wilsons, just something to consider if you have used fast action full graphite rods a lot like a terez or a t-curve. The actions on the Wilsons aren't that fast.

Is the 8 foot one the RLF13?

I have got seven Live Fibre rods (i didn't now I had so many, oops), the two LBG rods, a  10-15kg spin, a 7 ft 15-24kg OH, a 8-15kg 5120 surf, a two piece 13ft 8-15 kg surf and a two piece 6kg 9 foot jobby for light beach fishing. I use the two LBG rods for exactly the same use as you plan to do but I like the length because I do use them off the beach regularly. The one thing to note with wilson rods, from my experience, is that the line ratings are a bit soft. So on the 24kg rods you wouldn't want to go much higher than that. That shot in the stopping rays thread is of the 10 ft 15-24kg OH rod and you can see the way the line is getting close to the blank.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Wilsons, just something to consider if you have used fast action full graphite rods a lot like a terez or a t-curve. The actions on the Wilsons aren't that fast.

i should have said some of them aren't that fast. The 5120 is fairly fast with all the action in the tip. The 8 footer would probably be fairly fast as well but i haven't had a feel of one. Come to think of it, I'd better not, I'd probably buy the bugger

Would probably be best to have a roll of the Salina before buying. I've had a feel of a few Okuma reels and they didn't feel very flash. Definitely preferred similarly priced or cheaper Daiwas, Fin Nor, Shimano etc. Going by feel alone.

I have never really liked okumas after one seized after only one year. It was a 2500 epix from memory. I still have one, a salina II which is still a nice little reel but I make sure I clean it regularly. After having all types of mid range spinning reels including daiwas I stick to Shimano only now. My baitrunners have been fantastic, especially the Thunnus 4000. They do flex a bit though. I'd also look at a Spheros or Saragossa in an appropriate size. I have one of the older Spheros 14000 FA and have used it to catch Yellow Fin and Dogtooth Tuna, big barracuda and sharks and rays off the beach. Plenty of uprgades for them as well, handles, drags, bearings etc. I run 80lb braid on it no worries. I might even sell it for cheap as it doesn't get used.

Use to work in a tackle store so I have had a play with all of them. like the feel of the Okuma salinas...... I do agree though that some of the lower priced Okumas are pretty average.... The guys that worked there went over to the montebello Islands chasing the big fish and took an expensive combo and a "mid range" combo and had no dramas whatsoever with them, pulling in the big GT's time after time. 

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, adamibinfishin said:

Hi knackers. In overhead mate. Managed to find one today mate.

15kg to 24kg wilson livefibre. Kind of sold me seeing what my mate has put his thru so pretty happy I found one. Thanks in anycase bud.

Cheers

I got one of those too in a fetching blue colour.  Nice rod as well.