BIG Tuna in the South-East

Just wondering if any of you folk have any information or theories as to why all of a sudden all these huge tuna are being caught in the south east?

I know SE has always had tuna but from what I have been told not the barrels that are being reported atm.

Certainly has something to do with water temp as there have been reports also of humpback whales down there, but looking at the BOM sea-surface temps certainly doesn't look like anything special?

Cheers.

Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 7.48.38 am.png

G'day

One thing I heard a couple of years ago is that the Japanese got caught in an Al Capone style forensic accounting sting taking 500% of their tuna quota.  Approximately 7 years ago international inspectors were placed on each ship in the fleet.  Since then the biomass passing through SA, as measured by the Port Lincoln tuna farmers has increased dramatically every year

Cheers

Rod

Honestly don't know but my prediction is some kind of ocean current is upwelling, bringing with it heaps of Krill and zooplankton and the like, followed by the whales. This is followed by pelagic baitfish (could explain the lack of metro st's) and hence in come the tuna.

I'm only guessing myself but I reckon you'd be spot on with your theory. Something is causing a lot of bait to be there and the big tuna are following.

From what I've heard from different people, I believe its definitely related to water temperature (and the bait with it). El Nino definitely has an impact as it is associated with sea surface temperatures in the certain parts of the Indian & Pacific oceans. Apparently the barrel tuna like the colder water which is unseasonally closer to our southern coastline for this time of year. Some reckon these fish are on the way back, but in normal years would be in the colder water of depths of 2000m or so out of range of boats. It has been ridiculous how many barrels have been caught this season (have heard 1000). Something that probably needs some regulation in the future...?