2015 Daiwa ballistic EX

Hi Everyone

I'm new to this site but manly fish in the river and a bit of surf fishing.

I'm looking at buying a new reel in 2500 size and have be suggested to get a Daiwa ballistic ex. I haven't been able to find one in a shop to play with so any opinions would be good. My other option is to get a Stradic let me know your thoughts.

Cheers Southy

I have a Stradic CI4+ in the 3000 size (2500 body with a larger spool). Fantastic little reel, great drag. I have used it mainly to cast SP over reefs and bombies to catch all sorts of emperor in the tropics. I have mistakenly hooked some large trevally and probably some GTs as well and I stands up to that abuse pretty well before they wipe me off on the coral. I'm not keen on the smaller Daiwas but others swear by them. I had a few duds that I gave away.

I have heard and felt that after a few sessions the last model of Ballistic reels became very crunchy and grindy and not smooth at all...  

Just my opinion, however I have a Daiwa Caldia and I really like it, its a nice reel.... But I also love my Shimano stradic ci4 1000, had it for years and its still smooth as from the day i bought it... 

What your budget? and what are you going to target?

i have a stradic ci4+ and hate it. As for the ballisytic great reels as are the new 2015 freams!

I'll take it off your hands if I must; I'm all for helping out fellow fishos.

What don't you like about it Fishingmad? Have heard some have issues with flex in the reel stem?

His Stradic has problems staying on the land, it wants to go and swim with fish all the time ;)

I've heard from a few customers who prefer the old Stradic Ci4 that Southie has over the new ones. They thinks it's not as good quality for what you pay. I've got the new Daiwa Caldia 2506 and I love mine, very smooth, light, etc.

I've got the current Ci4+ 1000 and so far so good, its landed fat 48cm salmon and was smooth but I could feel the flex people talk about. I still rate my tired old bashed fi 1000 stradic, that thing has been dunked, dropped, scrapped has caught mullies, bream and snapper and is still going strong. I wish I had bought a fj instead of the ci4+ especially considering they were cheaper too

Smashing the Kings Lee! I've heard the FK have some really nice gearing that makes reeling against load feel like normal or something similar.

Can testify for the "old" models (2008-2012)of light spin reels from Shimano. Bashed a Seido like you wouldn't believe in the back of a quad bike trailer 3 nights a week and have dunked the Symetre Fj in salt and quick rinse no worries.

Disappointing that the reels seem to be losing a little robustness. Alan Hawk seems to think the gap between the 2008 stella and the Stella SW is massive, in favour of the 2008 model.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Tom_Fishin
      Hi everyone,
      I have just bought a new reel and I'm currently looking for preferably looking for a daiwa rod to suit it for Bream fishing. I'm looking at a 1-3kg rod, with the price range being around $100. if anyone has any advice where to look, r even some suggestions, that would be great!

Tight lines,
      Tom
    • By bjorn2fish
      The August Salmon Comp is now on!

Post up a salmon report but a little bit different... with all the Strike & Hook gear out there we'd like to see pics of you all wearing your gear with your salmon catch. It can be a cap, beanie, t-shirt or hoodie.

This month's prize is a cool salmon combo. A Daiwa Megaforce 962MFS (9'6" and 3-5kg) matched with a Daiwa Revros MX 3000 and as always a SH cap and beanie! The Daiwa combo is a great way to get started with salmon lure flicking or an excellent second setup to flick around while another rod is soaking a bait or for when your non fisho or unorganised mate comes along.

As there has already been a week gone (sorry guys work is killing me) we'll run the comp into next month a little bit to make up for the missed time.

Don't forget the Strike & Hook Salmon Day this weekend, this could be your chance to get a photo and put up a report.

As a little incentive, I'll be taking a bunch of SH caps down to Waitpinga and giving away a cap to everyone who catches a salmon and gets a photo taken Only one cap per person and until we run out.

We picked up the Daiwa combo for a great price at Fishing Wholesalers. They always look after us so please head over to their website www.fishingwholesalers.com.au and check out their cool gear and if you're on Facebook head over there and like their facebook page www.facebook.com/fishingwholesalersaustralia.

I should add due to the nature of this prize it is going to be pickup only from Fishing Wholesalers at Lonsdale.

Good luck everyone

And yeah, I know I'm no fishing show host but there was this dude wondering around while filming that kinda distracted me. Especially when he walked right past the camera while I was filming 
    • By Fishing Wholesalers
      Hi Guys, Below are details on our new Salmon Competition.  First Prize is a Daiwa Saltiga Surf 6000 Reel combo with a Sensor Surf 13' 2 piece surf rod.  Valued at $725

Monthly prizes of Halco Lure packs and a huge end of comp BBQ with heaps of giveaways.

For further details, call into the shop or call us 8382 7382

James, Rick and Mark
      Fishing Wholesalers
      200 Dyson Rd
      Lonsdale SA 5160

PHONE 08 8382 7382

www.fishingwholesalers.com.au
      facebook fishingwholesalersaustralia