Daiwa Seajigger SJ 325L information required

G'day all,

I was after some info from anyone who uses Daiwa Seajigger rods, specifically the SJ325L. Just wanted to get an idea as to what sort of bait setups are being used with it .ie. how heavy the sinker and bait combinations people use are, what they generally target with it.

I’ve had a play with the Seajiggers in store and noticed that the L model is a lot more “whippy” and flexible than the heavier models. I’ve no doubt that it’d be great for casting light lures but I was would like to know about its potential for casting sinker/baits (within its designated weight range of course)?

Any insights or experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers

I have a Seajigger 325M, and have owned several other Daiwa rods. They have always overrated the weights their surf rods can throw effectively. My Seajigger is rated to 100g, but any more than 60g overloads the rod. Most Daiwa surf rods I have used work best in the lower half of their stated rating. Hope that helps.

Thanks for your responses plankton & Fishing Guru. I have come across that assessment before about Daiwa rods; that  their weight range is overstated.  I had hoped to cast up to a 2oz sinker with the L model, but it’s probably a little ambitious.  Although 45g would be workable.

Plankton, had you ever tried casting a lure (or soft plastic) that was below 30g?  I'm wondering how a 325M would go with a 3/4 to 1oz jighead; whether it would even load up with a weight under its rating.

Also, what was the largest fish either of you have pulled in with them?

Cheers

If you want to light baitfish as well as throw plastics I'd go with the 325m.

If you are casting 3/4 or 1oz jig heads the soft plastic 'tail' itself will weigh 10-40g depending on type. For example a 130mm squidgy fish weighs 27g by itself. Giving you a casting weight of 48 or 55g.

Would be perfect on 325m.

Fishing Guru: Jaysus! That’s a lot bigger than I would have expected it to be able to bring in. Maybe I’m underestimating these rods. Would have been an impressive battle I’m guessing.

And thanks for the response Shorejigger. That’s a good point you make. I’d always considered the weight of a plastic to be negligible or less than 5g, so it wouldn’t amount to much extra. Never thought they’d go 27g for a 130mm. Good to see someone else concerns themselves with the ‘details’ also haha.

Now you’ve given me more to think about.

Cheers

Plankton, had you ever tried casting a lure (or soft plastic) that was below 30g?  I'm wondering how a 325M would go with a 3/4 to 1oz jighead; whether it would even load up with a weight under its rating.

Also, what was the largest fish either of you have pulled in with them?

Cheers

The least I've cast with mine is 30g and it worked fine, so you'll be alright with 3/4 or 1oz jigheads, especially when you factor in the plastic as Shore Jigger mentioned.

So far I have only used mine for metro salmon fishing when the weather is snotty, and unfortunately the biggest I've pulled in was probably a mid 50's specimen.

Hi every one, newly purchased a seajigger 325M [initially wanna a 325H, but BCF was out of stock] 

I did a lot of bait fishing rather than lure, just curious, is it Ok to use the 325M as light bait fishing rod[coz Daiwa overrated stuff]? I mean, 2oz sinker + 2 piecs sliced pilchard [60-70g totally]? And, Is a 2oz sinker too light for fishing on a pier? coz some windy day, the swell will be pretty strong 

You should be fine casting that sort of weight. Whether that size sinker is enough would depend on the wind and water movement. If you don't need to cast far you could probably get away with a bit bigger sinker as long as it's just a gentle lob. Otherwise, if you need better grip try and find some 2oz grapnel sinkers, although I'm not sure they're readily available around here, Let's Go Fishin would be your best bet.

You should be fine casting that sort of weight. Whether that size sinker is enough would depend on the wind and water movement. If you don't need to cast far you could probably get away with a bit bigger sinker as long as it's just a gentle lob. Otherwise, if you need better grip try and find some 2oz grapnel sinkers, although I'm not sure they're readily available around here, Let's Go Fishin would be your best bet.

Thanks for all your reply~~~~helpful 

So after much deliberation trying to decide between the L or the M, my choice ended up being made for me. By the time i got down to BCF to take advantage of their sale, the only models left were the L’s. It was probably omgbonjo that snapped up the last M, hehe. Anyway, happy with it regardless and now just keen on hooking up something with it.

Thanks all for your responses and advice.

Cheers

Shorejigger: I have an FJ 4000 stradic with 15lb Power Pro for it.