smoking fish in a WEBER

If you're used to smoking them in a box, then the webber isn't gonna be any different, only the method will vary, coz now you'll be hot smoking instead of cold smoking, and that means the fish will actually cook as it smokes.I'd suggest soaking the woodchips in water, wine, etc, coz you'll find it will smoke up so much better and also provide a more mellow flavour.Cooking times will be different, and I can't offer any advice on that coz I use an electric hot smoker not a webber, but you'll get there through trial and error. I'd suggest checking it after about 45 mins, but it may take even longer.In regards to the fillets, I brine mine for 1-3 hours (1 part salt/8 parts water) then allow the fillets to dry thouroughly! And that's important with hot smoking, coz when ya cold smoke it tends to dry out the fish, but hot smoking locks in the moisture and ya dont want them too damp.I also sprinkle my fillets with brown sugar prior to smoking!Oh, and one last thing, don't tell everyone how good smoked slimey is, coz till now most of these blokes think they're just bait! ;)

I smoke large salmon trout/mullet/tommies and mullaway fillets often in a weber. Comments from Ranger are very similiar to my method. I give about 3 hours to dry fillets out after brining. I use 25 heat beads, light 45 mins before use so they are white, put sawdust/woodchips in an alfoil tray on botton rack, then spread fish over top rack. Cook for 45 mins. I also do chicken wings. Brine for 2 hours, dry for 4 hours, 36 heat beads, cook for 55 minutes. And no need to tell anyone your smoking fish, they just seem to turn up as you finished cooling them down!

Tyke, try a google search, coz there's plenty of websites out there dedicated to smoking!

Yeah,lots on giving up,selling patches or gum (Cough - I am a smoker) :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:Yup,I need to have a look.Which wood chips do you use and where to buy them???I must have 50 kilos of redgum sawdust next to my fire wood pile.

Which wood chips do you use and where to buy them???

The redgum you have would be perfect, but you can use any hardwood: gum, hickory, ash, anuka, etc, etc! Anyways, being a smoker yaself, you'd hardly notice the difference, so use what's available! ;)I purchase mine in small quantities for top dollar at tacklestores, hardware stores, etc, but sawdust is something that's readily available. Just make sure it's a hardwood, and that it isn't treated.Try soaking ya chips/sawdust in water, wine or beer before use too, and don't be afraid to experiment with ya favourite herbs and spices on the fish. Once ya have the technique down pat, the smoking is only limited by your imagination!

I seen a guy cutting up red wood on the side of the road one day on my way to work. On the way home I stopped and got me a couple of shopping bags full of saw dust for my smoker. My smoker is a metho burner and it takes a while to smoke large fillets such as salmon. My friend has a gas burner and does a good quick job. He also puts some herbs on his wood chips to give it some extra flavors. He smoked a very large frozen flathead and it tasted superb. I thought it would turn out dry, but he said because it was frozen and it slowly defrosted it kept the meat moist. size=600http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/bE2YSWwQ__Red_wood.jpg[/img]

hi allI smoke my fish with a mixture of red gum, box gum and a few pellets(brand name Bbq delight) of savory herb(oak wood, oregano, rosemary and thyme and they are magnificent. Have done them in the metho type smoker and the weber. Not much difference. Tried them brined and not brined, I prefer them unbrined, but enjoyed them all anyway.I buy the BBQ Delight pellets at Bunnings.If you use them in the metho type smoker crush them up before you use them as they work better.In the webber I just make up an envelope out of aluminium foil an put a small hole in the top of it. I suspend the foil envelope over the gas burners on a couple of bits of wire. Then smoke em up you only need 15 to 20 minutes to smoke small fillets like tommies. Webber only on low setting.Rocket

In an earlier thread I described smoking salmon trout using a red wine/herb marinade and red gum sawdust. Dry the fillets out, after marinading for three hours, so that the surface is just dry to the touch. Then smear lightly with olive oil. I use a large box smoker but place a portable gas ring under it instead of the metho burner. (The same gas ring as I use for my crab cooker) I only turn on the outer gas ring and as low as I can get it. I reckon that a gas webber will work really well as long as the sawdust tray is wide and long enough to cover most of the lower tray. One of the old steel, round cookie baking trays would be excellent. See what the missus or mums got stashed, usually in the compartment under the kitchen oven,or a couple of dollars from the supermarket/Cheap as Chips.This is making me hungry, I might have to drop down to Broughton and get a feed of Tommies tonight.RogerG