Shark/ tuna overhead reel

As the title suggests, just purchased a 15kg overhead roller tip rod for tuna and sharks, looking to get a reliable reel at a budget price if there is such a thing

I have my eye on the fin nor biscayne in the 20 size, or the penn squall,

I think I'm going to go with 50lb braid for line with a topshot of mono

Any further suggestions from more experienced game fishos? Also coild be open to looking at second hand reels too, cheers

I haven't done much tuna or shark fishing, but I can certainly recommend the Penn Squall. Although I imagine you're thinking about the lever drag model, I have a Squall 25N star drag that is a brilliant reel, use it for heavy surfcasting and if I get a chance to do some tuna trolling I'm sure it would do well on smaller to medium tuna, just not enough capacity for barrels. I've been a lifelong fan of Penn reels, well built and the best drag in the business, IMO.

As the title suggests, just purchased a 15kg overhead roller tip rod for tuna and sharks, looking to get a reliable reel at a budget price if there is such a thing

I have my eye on the fin nor biscayne in the 20 size, or the penn squall,

I think I'm going to go with 50lb braid for line with a topshot of mono

Any further suggestions from more experienced game fishos? Also coild be open to looking at second hand reels too, cheers

Could probably pick up a penn senator around the 4/0 range for around the $100 mark, should match up quite nicely with the rod you have and you can't knock the trusty old senators

Heres two links I found on ebay, I don't know either of the sellers so can't really comment on the condition of the reels themselves but look to be in fairly good nick

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Penn-Senator-6-0-Big-Game-Reel-/172002184276?hash=item280c210c54:g:MRoAAOSwkZhWS5Y5

This one needs a few parts re added onto it but you should be able to source them, fairly cheap for a 6/0 senator as well

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Penn-Senator-Size-4-0-Never-Used-/381427762067?hash=item58ceddc393:g:HawAAOSwdvpWEeRD

I had a few of the old Daiwa Sealine reels, a 47H (level wind), 400 and a 900. I didn't realise until recently that they are considered as a generally bullet proof star drag reel with a metal body and stainless/brass gears. A lot of people rate them above the old senators for strength. Get some carbonetex drag washers and bobs your mothers brother.

Other that that I have caught some decent fish on my TLD25 and seen some huge fish (marlin) caught on TLD50s. I now have a Tyronos 30 for what you want to do and it is great. On special at BCF for less than $200 so I had to get it.