• Similar Content

• By Plectropomus
      Hi there brains trust.
      For years I have wondered why pictures of big mulloway often show a pink area of bruising on the flanks. In contrast, I have never seen this on underwater footage of NSW/Qld mulloway taken by divers and spearos. I am really curious to see if anyone knows more. I even began to collect images to see if the bruising was limited to one side, or the other, and if it occurred only on largest fish. 
      Early indications are it is mainly surf-caught, bigger fish, and often down the side toward the vent. See examples below, and the one with a yellow circle.
      The only things I have shortlisted from a range of possibilities are (a) a parasitic infection of some sort on the skin under the scales, (b) sand rubbing the fish when it is being landed, (c) some sort of contact with the line during the  typical way mulloway fight, and (c) "spawning behaviour" where males might nudge females.
      As a semi-retired fish biologist, this is one of those questions that buzzes around in my head begging for an answer!! I don't think it is anything sinister.
      Apologies if the photos below are yours! I just Googled them off various FaceBook forums and the net.
      Any ideas or observations??
      Thanks

• By ljackway
      Hi i'm doing an assignment for Uni where im making a fishing magazine however im struggling to find a high definition photo that i can use for the cover.
      If anyone has any good photos of you with a nice fish that you think would look good for a magazine, please post below or personally message me!
      None of this will be posted anywhere, simply for my uni assignment
      Thanks in advanced!!
    • By bjorn2fish
      Just a reminder for those who aren't already following OnkaStompa on Facebook... Onkastompa is on this weekend!!!
      The Strike & Hook crew will be manning the BBQ so come and grab a snag and a drink and help raise fund for The Childhood Cancer Association 👍
      Onkastompa Fishing Competition 13 (Onkaparinga City Council Community Event of The Year Winner 2018) 
      Date - Sunday 11th November
      Time - 7am - 12pm followed by presentations
      Location - Perrys Bend Onkaparinga River (Noarlunga Downs)
      Entry Fee - Donation to Childhood Cancer of your choice (Generosity encouraged for this great cause)
      Registration - Upon Arrival
      Rules and Fishable Area - explained upon registration but due to past numbers I am restricting fishing to 1 rod per person as I cannot extend the fishable area as in Onkastompa 12
      Everyone who attends and donates receives a ticket into the many random draws for prizes.
      Categories -
      Biggest Overall Bream (Onkastompa Champion)
      Biggest Bream Men
      Biggest Bream Women
      Biggest Bream Junior 15<
      Biggest Mulloway (Open Class)
      Biggest "Other Fish" Senior
      Biggest "Other Fish Junior 15<
      BBQ and Drinks available with every cent going to the cause so please bring your thirst and hunger
      For Sale Table - Fishing and other goods will be for sale at AMAZING prices, again with every cent going to the cause. Card facilities available
      Merchandise - Polo and Hoody designs released soon 👍
      Animal Relocation and Education will have a couple of pythons and a Freshwater Croc to handle and get pics with on the day 🤪🤪For the kids, however was popular with the adults last year also 👍
    • By samboman
      With great weather forecast i made the tow to Yorkes with a couple of mates, one who is a wizz with a camera..  What a day we had...
      Watch in HD

• By bjorn2fish
      Metro
      Some nice squid have been coming from West Beach, Semaphore, Largs and east of the Black Pole. Whiting are being caught at Black Pole, Norma, Bower Road ground, Grange and bigger fish out from West Beach. Crabs are slowing but there is still a good feed to be had at the Silt grounds, Semaphore and Largs. Snapper are being caught around the shipping channel, near the John Robb, ballast ground, the Broadway and out from O'Sullivan's around the barge. Port river has plenty of salmon trout from the North Arm through to the St Kilda breakwater. Some nice bream are being caught near the North Arm wrecks, Port Adelaide sailing club and north towards the Port bridges. West Lakes has mullet, bream and some small mulloway. For the jetty and beach anglers there are still some mullet and tommies and squid off Brighton, Grange and Semaphore jetties.
      Yorke Peninsula
      Snapper are coming from Ardrossan, Port Hughes, Chinamans, Corny Point, Edithburgh, out wide from Port Broughton and north of the Orontes. Whiting have picked up at Port Hughes, Balgowan, Port Vic, Edithburgh and Stansbury. Down the bottom of the foot there are salmon and mullet. Marion Bay jetty has squid and tommies. Butlers has salmon and mullet. Squid are coming from Port Vincent, south of Ardrossan, Pine Point, Stansbury, Point Turton, Hardwick Bay, Port Vic, port Hughes and Wallaroo. Crabs are still doing well at Clinton, Ardrossan, Port Vincent, Black Point and Port Broughton.

South
      Salmon are coming from Waitpinga and Salt Creek. Rapid Bay has squid, tommies and some garfish. Second Valley has squid and tommies. Bluff jetty has some squid. Mulloway are still coming from Salt Creek beaches and the Coorong has mullet, bream near the Mondoo Channel and small mulloway near the dredge and east towards Mundoo.

Freshwater
      Some nice size callop are coming from Cobdogla, Big Bend, Castles Landing, Blanchetown and around Cadel.

Tight lines from The Dorsal Fin Team