Dear PIRSA Fisheries

G'day

I enjoy hearing about people involved in illegal fishing activities who get caught and pay a hefty penalty for it.  Go for it I say, take their boat and their car if it is being used to fish illegally for profit.

However, as a recreational fisher I don't like the fact that these low lifes who rape and pillage our seas, get called 'recreational fishers'

To my mind, once they cross the line from accidentally having an extra fish, to seriously abusing the limits, they become criminals and should be named as such, not called recreational fishers.

eg If someone is jogging along taking handbags would you call them a jogger or a bag snatcher?

If someone is driving a car that they have stolen, would you call them a 'motorist' or a car thief?

If someone goes in to a store and removes goods without paying for them, would you call them a 'shopper' or a shop lifter?

etc

So why punch us law abiding recreational fishers in the nose by calling these marine poacher scumbags 'recreational fishers'

I find it very offensive, please use an appropriate term

Cheers

Rod

I think coz they were fishing without a commercial licence, they therefore label them as recreationals.

And unfortunately, we all get tarred with the same brush.

What worries me most, is how many of these pricks don't get caught....what damage is being done to fish stocks that we don't know about??

Makes it even harder for those that do the right thing, who know and respect bag and boat limits.