Venus or Streaky Bay?

In about two years time I have the opportunity to take a year or two off of work. The wife and I were planning to travel around Australia towing the boat. On second thoughts we have been almost everywhere a few times except for the Cape and Gulf Country and could do this over a few short months regardless.

What has become more attractive is to settle in one spot for a while and watch the seasons go past. We were thinking of either Streaky or Venus Bay. I like the bays and jetties to fish when the weather is bad and for whiting, tommies, squid etc and be close to offshore grounds for bigger stuff. The option of being close to Coffins and Pt Lincoln to the SE and the FWC has its attractions as well without being too remote. We would live at Fowlers Bay but properties are hard to come by. Coffins is an option as well.

But which would you recommend out of Venus or Streaky. I have only dived for scallops at Streaky and only travelled through Venus quickly. Which would offer better fishing?

In about two years time I have the opportunity to take a year or two off of work. The wife and I were planning to travel around Australia towing the boat. On second thoughts we have been almost everywhere a few times except for the Cape and Gulf Country and could do this over a few short months regardless.

What has become more attractive is to settle in one spot for a while and watch the seasons go past. We were thinking of either Streaky or Venus Bay. I like the bays and jetties to fish when the weather is bad and for whiting, tommies, squid etc and be close to offshore grounds for bigger stuff. The option of being close to Coffins and Pt Lincoln to the SE and the FWC has its attractions as well without being too remote. We would live at Fowlers Bay but properties are hard to come by. Coffins is an option as well.

But which would you recommend out of Venus or Streaky. I have only dived for scallops at Streaky and only travelled through Venus quickly. Which would offer better fishing?

For Fowlers Bay properties, google Ceduna Properties, Real Estate icon will come up, this will show Folwers bay offers.

On New Years Bay there is the annual Folwers Bay sports day. Well worth a look as locals gather. There are properties that are available for rent that they do not advertise.

Cant go wrong with either in my opinion.

Two of my favourite places

Venus is a real layedback sleepy town with only really two shops

One at the caravan park and the general store that has been for sale for a long time.

I havnt been there for awhile but I did hear through the grape vine it is now shut (might just have been on holidays)

Streaky is a great place and still a country town but at least has a couple of servos, couple of supermarkets, bakery, cafes and a PUB and the owner is a good bloke too.

I love Venus nut would choose streaky just for the convenience of not having to drive there any time I needed something.

From my limited experience of both, I agree with keenfisho...

Venus, if you and the wife really want a quiet place and wonderful scenery and are prepared to get back to basics...

Streaky, if you both want a bit of that isolated West Coast feel, but still feel the need for the odd touch of "civilisation" to balance your lifestyle.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers

af