Badass Birthday Combo

After getting the heads up about the Fin-Nor Lethal 100 reel in another thread and reading the review by Alan Hawk, with a bit of birthday money in my pocket I decided it was time to pull the trigger on a big threadline outfit.

I picked up the Lethal at The Scene, a shop I had never been to before but one I will definitely be visiting again, good prices and great service, if you're in the Old Noarlunga area or headed past to Victor/Goolwa stop in and check them out.

The reel feels very solid, incredible value for money, and seems like heaps of nice smooth drag. Just need to load it with some 80lb braid and an appropriate wind-on. If you're looking for a big jigging /popping reel you'd do well to check it out.

I see myself using this reel in a couple possible ways, casting lures to tuna and kingies and deepwater jigging. As I have a tuna charter planned for later this Summer, I figured I'd first pair it with a rod that would cast bigger metals and surface lures. Someday soon I'd love to chase kingfish with it as well.

After looking around I chose an Ugly Stik Bluewater 7' 15-24kg rod, absolutely bulletproof blanks with top of the line Fuji guides and heavy duty reel seat. Another awesome value for money item, IMO. Eventually I'll get a jigging rod as well, most likely another Ugly Stik.

So for $300 I've got an awesome combo that should handle most things that swim in our waters. Once I get some use out of it I'll post my thoughts and some photos of the badass fish I catch. ;)

Let us know how you go spooling it up, assuming you are doing it yourself (winding it on).

Cheers

I assume you're referring to the difficulty of getting the braid packed onto the reel very tightly. I'll be using the phone book method, basically running the braid through a phone book with an appropriate amount of weight on top. The resistance from the weighted phone book in conjunction with the reel's drag does the job quite well. ;)

How much was the lethal? I'm looking to buy one.

$125 :)

Let us know how you go spooling it up, assuming you are doing it yourself (winding it on).

Cheers

I assume you're referring to the difficulty of getting the braid packed onto the reel very tightly. I'll be using the phone book method, basically running the braid through a phone book with an appropriate amount of weight on top. The resistance from the weighted phone book in conjunction with the reel's drag does the job quite well. ;)

How much was the lethal? I'm looking to buy one.

$125 :)

Ended up getting it from the guys on grand junction $129 unfortunately the scenes about an hours drive for me

Nah I mean how evenly it spools and what happens when you adapt it.

Went on nice and even, no need to use any of the adjusting washers. Not sure of the actual diameter of the braid I used, so others might get different results. I reckon it took at least 300m, probably a bit more, but more than enough either way. If I hook something that takes more line than that against the sort of drag this reel puts out I don't imagine I would have landed it anyway.

After reading a bit about how people rig for kingfish popping I've decided to skip the wind-on and use a shorter length of leader tied on with a bimini and albright combo, probably 80lb for tuna and a bit more if I get a chance at some kingies.

Cheers Plankton, maybe it is the heavier line. When I spooled up the stock reel it was very bottom heavy like Alan Hawk described, but unfortunately I found when i used the two thin adjustment washers as opposed to the single thick one the drag clicker didn't function.

Would really appreciate it if you could just try one or two adjustment washers minus the single thick one and see if the clicker works for you?

I had the same problem spooled up bottom heavy. I added 1 washer then 2 but it made it even worse it looked like a volcano. Took all 3 washers out respooled and its fairly even now. No problems with the drag clicker though. Stupid thing is the leaflet says to add more washers if its bottom heavy it should be the opposite way.

Nice looking reels for sure.. Those drilled slots on the spool remind me of my Z series Saltigas.

Anyway bring on the Tuna, sharks n rays!

Thanks: did it take 300m of the 90lb you bought? Hope you fellas get that line lay sorted

Yeah whole spool went on. The braid came in an easy spool pack so i couldn't use my regular line spooling device as the holes too big in the easy spool pack. I'm definitely catching a ray or two first to get the line packed on and get a good feel for the reel. Just saw the reports of tuna down Victor hopefully I'll be out within a few weeks for some tuna action.