Decided to try and make a camera mount to put on my yak for when I want to take photos and videos whilst I'm fishing. With a very limited budget and limited tools I was able to make up a simple and easy mount that slot's into one of my four flush mounted rod holders. This means that I can alter the angle that I want to shoot at.

First off I had to buy my mount pole which was simple enough, any pole type structure will do such as a PVC pipe. I bought a cheap prawning light that was plastic and the head of the pole was to be used as the ideal mounting point. Second thing to buy was a pool noodle, and that's all I had to buy. I run a GoPro Hero 3+ so I used a few spare mounts from that to secure my camera to the pole.

P1040315.JPG

Firstly I removed the globe and head casing of the light and then took out all the wiring and the crappy handle.

P1040318.JPG

P1040319.JPG

Next thing was to mount the GoPro mount using a few drilled holes. Hole wasn't quite big enough but a small square file got it to fit snugly. Secured the mount with a cable tie as I'd like it to be removable for when I take the camera underwater snorkelling.

P1040322.JPG

Once that was complete I was just a matter of attaching a small length of the pool noodle for floatation in case I capsize. Also the colour of the pool noodle helps other water users see a lowdown kayak when I'm out on the ocean or river.

P1040326.JPG

To finish off I added a PVC pipe with some drilled holes to be used as rungs to raise or lower the camera pole to change the view. All in all a nifty, cheap and simple way to have a video camera on board. There are other things to add to it or make it simple with just a PVC piping but I didn't have access to any at home. The only thing missing from it is a cleat to be able to use a leash to secure it to my kayak as well.

P1040327.JPG