Rod and reel suggestions

Hey guys,

Looking at getting a new rod and reel for land based small shark fishing. Also wouldn't mind if I could also use this rod for land based snapper fishing then also be able to take it out on the boat trawling for tuna. I've been looking at a Shimano Tyrnos 50 2 speed matched with a Wilson Live Fibre RLF19 but I think this may be overkill for what I want it for.

Looking forward to your suggestions,

Cheers Puds

I reckon the Tyrnos 50 2 speed is overkill for what you want.

What sort of size shark are you after? Do you plan to just drift out baits or do you want to be able to cast?

For my LB sharking I have a surf setup that can be cast and I usually use it for slidebaiting chasing small to medium size sharks (6' or less). The rod is a stout 11' model from the US and the reel is a Daiwa SL-X50. The same setup could be used for LB snapper, although a bit heavy, and the reel would do fine trolling for school bluefin but probably not enough for barrels.

I reckon you want a bigger, castable overhead and possibly a couple different rods to do everything you mentioned. Daiwa and Penn both make a few decent models like the saltist, sealine, squall and fathom. Shimano probably has a suitable reel, but I'm not as familiar with their stuff.

Good luck.

G'day Puds

Yeah you probably need something longer off the beach than will be practical in the boat.  I don't fish the beaches anymore when trolling for tuna off victor etc I don't think you need anything flash, mind you we've only caught up to 20kg.  Anyway, when trolling for tuna I use a variety of rods including the 7ft Penn 10-15 kg with 850 ssm from Ray and Annes for $109.  If you want to go to port mac etc for barrels well that's gunna require something a lot better.

If you want to go trawling for tuna you're going to need one of these   :)  ;)

Cheers

Rod

trawler.jpg

The 3 uses you mentioned may be a bit too far of a stretch for just one outfit, If you go for the LB small shark and snapper set up I'd recommend a 650c5 alvey or possibly a 550, the 650 will actually handle sharks up to the 10 foot mark due to its thousand metre line capacity, You'd also most likely want a surf rod in the 10-12 foot range for LB snapper (This is based on my local area only, your local area may have spots that don't need the casting distance for snapper)

One other option would be a fin-nor lethal 100 which would handle all 3 but again depending on your local area for the snapper you would need the longer rod and a spinning reel like this may affect your range for ballooning for sharks

If you go the overhead route a tyrnos 50 may be a bit large for what you plan to use it for, Not sure on castable overheads as I use alveys/spinning reels for casting but the overhead I use for smaller sharks as well as kings (Although I haven't caught either of those yet) is a penn senator 4/0 matched up to a 15kg 6 foot game rod, a shimano TLD25 may also do the job but again I don't have as much experience in overheads as I do with spinning/alveys

Overall though I'd say you may have to knock one of those targets off the list in order to get one to do the job unless you get 1 reel and 2 different rods. One capable of launching a bait out for snapper land based will be too long for tuna from a boat and one short enough for tuna from a boat would be too short for land based snapper in my opinion

Puds,

I have a Wilson Live Fibre RLF19 and it is not suitable for a 50 size reel or for casting. For what you want to do you would need 2 rods with an overhead. With a spinning reel and a decent rod you wouldn't need the 2 you would with an overhead.

If you are set on an overhead for smallish sharks and to go trolling in SA you wouldn't need any more than a 20 size reel. A TLD 20 would be ideal. You will get a load of 50lb braid on a 20 size reel. I have a TLD 15 and 25 and they cast okay. I also have a 30 tyrnos but I don't think they will cast as well as the TLDs.

With the money you save on not getting a 50 2 speed tyrnos get 2 rods with a 20 or 25 sized reel. If you want wilson get a RLF28 and the 19 and you'd be set for both. I have an RLF 28 and use it on the TLD25 for land based game fishing and it is great. Still a bit large for land based snapper though.

I've got a couple of overhead combos including a tld25 from ray and annes.  I find them annoying though, the handles are on the wrong side :o  ;)  :)

Cheers

Rod

I've got a couple of overhead combos including a tld25 from ray and annes. I find them annoying though, the handles are on the wrong side :o;):)

Cheers

Rod

Hey Rod,

Which one of those 2 combos should I get?

Depends on which rod you want, both will probably get the job done. Obviously, Shimano rates one of the rods a bit more than the other, hence the price difference. Personally I have never cared for any Shimano rod, the TLDs are great reels though.

I've got a couple of overhead combos including a tld25 from ray and annes. I find them annoying though, the handles are on the wrong side :o;):)

Cheers

Rod

Hey Rod,

Which one of those 2 combos should I get?

Dunno, they look pretty similar going by the write up?

Cheers

Rod