Fun Frustration On The Carpies

Hi all. 

Last few days I have been targeting carp on the fly. Been having a hell of a time but fun all the same. 

I have managed to spot a Moby Dick of a carp in a spot down by the Torrens. I call him that because he is white in color with the markings of a Coi. Looks pretty cool. But he is a smart bastard. I swear he is working together with some of his friends swimming around. I'm starting to feel like captain Ahab chasing this one. 

For example...blind cast to where I last saw him on his beat up and down...slow strip and sink..watching the end of the line...Nothing..something catches my eye..another carp worth casting too...pick up my retrieve to cast to the spotted carp..and wouldn't you know it there is Moby Dick checking out my wooly bugger while I'm distracted setting up a cast to the other carp. Obviously the fast stip spooked him off and his gone for a few hours. 

Could go on but you get the picture. 

Believe it or not a quick google and I was surprised to see that Carp are rather intelligent fish with some degree of learning capacity. 

I'd like to say I'm smarter than a carp but at this stage they have got the better of me. HAHA  :P  :P

Marc

Not a fly guy myself yet, but I will give you the heads up on a scent I have been using with good results on shut down carp in the Warren Reservoir and Springbank.

Get your paws on some Ultrabite Trout / Freshwater Formula, been getting mine from Spot On Salisbury.

Works a treat on crawlers and tigers when bait fishing, and I am guessing it will get some on the fly.

Hope it helps you nail that albino carp of yours.

Not a fly guy myself yet, but I will give you the heads up on a scent I have been using with good results on shut down carp in the Warren Reservoir and Springbank.

Get your paws on some Ultrabite Trout / Freshwater Formula, been getting mine from Spot On Salisbury.

Works a treat on crawlers and tigers when bait fishing, and I am guessing it will get some on the fly.

Hope it helps you nail that albino carp of yours.

I will look into this Tinker. It feels a bit like cheating scenting up a fly..but if it makes the difference between no fish and ..A fish... well then I'm sold :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

all those years ago when i was fly fishing for bream I thought id try on Carp . Since my parents live still next to the torrens off i went . Seeing ive caught them on bread as a boy i  thought maybe . I bought bread flies off a site .

Off i trotted to the torrens in the western suburbs found a spot the ducks ddint come chucked in bread . Carp came not huge but fat things couldnt get them to hit a fly 

But they were there .

all those years ago when i was fly fishing for bream I thought id try on Carp . Since my parents live still next to the torrens off i went . Seeing ive caught them on bread as a boy i  thought maybe . I bought bread flies off a site .

Off i trotted to the torrens in the western suburbs found a spot the ducks ddint come chucked in bread . Carp came not huge but fat things couldnt get them to hit a fly 

But they were there .

Got to drop it right on their head more or less if they aren't taking it from a follow on. Iv'e seen it where 4 inches away doesn't get a bite but 2 inches away BOOM. It's on. Just need to be in that zone.