Coloured Gents / Maggots

Just wondering if anyone goes to the effort of colouring gents / maggots when say fishing for gar (or anything else).

If some fisho's use red or green plastic tubes by their hook to entice some fish to their bait (whether it works or not is another question), then why not with coloured gents/maggots.

The white/cream gents/maggots stand out nicely in the water and certainly does the trick in catching gar/tommies etc.

So has anyone tried / experimented with coloured gents/maggots.

Sheldons baits tried this out a few years back but I think the majority of fishers with gents like theirs white they only persisted with it for a few months.

when I used to chase KGW's years ago I tried the red & glow tubes with varying degrees off success but with some of my drops 10 metres+ & red turns to grey @ that depth (well at least to human eyes) who knows what a whiting is making of a piece of plastic tube?

Personally I dont seem the point for bread & butter fish. There are many baits that gar will respond to depending on the day such as gents dipped in their own excrement, cockle or squid slivers, whitefish, pilchard slivers, prawn pieces, garfish slivers so on & so forth. Have even caught them on cheese pieces.  The artificial gents I've tried also work on the odd occasion (when they are fully on the bite) but the small amount of fresh bait you need is insignificant so to me try different baits & see what works on the day. By far IMO the long life gents work the best. 

I also use a very small lumo bead or tube, mainly fluorescent green above the hook but unsure if this actually makes any difference. The tube however does help the line from getting as frayed if you are catching heaps than without. 

To me just change the baits until they start biting well & work out what depth & where the larger gar are at & then easy from there.

I was lucky enough to test out some of those Sheldon's gents with Banga and Kuerschie.

The Sheldon's Bait Neon's smashed em every time while everyone else was barely getting a touch. These babies worked a few sessions at different places too so I'm definitely a believer.

Here's Kuerschies write up on our session over at Yorkes last year. http://www.strikehook.com/index.php/topic/25422-epic-day-out/ 

• 3 weeks later...

Bjorn mentions above that he and the guys tried Sheldons neon (yellow) gents - with success.

I have seen them in tackle shops but this is their website and stockiest list - but whether they have the neon/yellow ones would be a matter of a visit/phone call.

http://www.sheldonsbait.com.au/gents-maggots/

stockists - http://www.sheldonsbait.com.au/south-australia/