Tides - no wonder we get confused.

So, tomorrow I'll be fishing in the morning and watched the news weather for winds etc.

But there are differences between C7 and other links.

Channel 7 (metro waters)

High tide  

9.20am / 1.64 m

Willy Weather (Pt Noarlunga)

High tide  

9.09am / 1.64 m

BOM (Pt Noarlunga)

High tide  

9.00am / 1.4 m

Tides4fishing (Pt Noarlunga)

High tide

9.05am / 1.3 m

ok, clutching at straws a little, as tides/times are not that far out, apart from C7 with a minimum 11 minutes 'out'.

But only c7 and WW have the same tide height.

It's not a big deal from a fishing point of view as what's 5 minutes here or there and .2mt difference in height, but I would have thought that all tides/times would have been obtained from BOM.

Just weird, that's all.

Think it's a lot to do with wind in this gulf... And the wind is a hard one to predict!

Sometimes it speeds the tide up going in or out, or the other way.

Or almost cancels it out even... And also makes it even higher or lower.

I only know from prawning that even the marine radio, the one that's apparently most accurate for us to go by for determining weather it's unfishable (over 25knots) and gives announces it afew hours before we go, is not eaven 80% accurate on a good day and so close to the time, so I'm guessing over a day, it's open to the induviduals interpretation of all the data they go off. And nowhere near an exact science.

But someone is always going to get it close to with so many different calls.

I guess better than all being wrong most of the time😋

But that's just my opinion

Yep, accept all the above, and that C7 seems to use outer harbor as their tide/time numbers - hence the time difference.

But for the rest of them, it should be the same.

Winds, yes, they could effect things, but when they are 'predicting' a time for high tide and a height days, months etc in advance, then they should be the same.

On the day in questions, if there is high winds, then yes maybe it can differ, but leading up to to the day it has to be the same.

As said, no big deal with it all, just seemed odd.

On the day in question I use the Fishing Log program which is based of the BOM site was

Outer Harbor 9.20 am - 1.64 mtrs

Pt Noarlunga 9.11 - 1.33

To me this is fairly normal as the tides change by time & height up & down the gulf, also west to east of the state

The only place that seams to get out of sync from time to time is Cape Elizabeth B)  

Why would you bother to go to any other site rather than the BOM for tides? Every other site gets their tides from the BOM. When you look at sites such as willy weather all you are getting is the BOM data and any finger faults that they may have made. And I have found they make all sorts of errors. There was another tide thread where I posted examples of willy weather mistakes.  From willy weather:

Data Sources
  • Weather information based on data supplied by the BoM
  •  

Why would you bother to go to any other site rather than the BOM for tides?

I find it much easier when the info is displayed graphically.  I can look through a months worth of tides and get a good idea of whats happening in about a minute.  BOM only provides (as far as I know) pages of numbers and would be almost impossible.  .  Here's just 2 days of each as an example.

Each to their own though

Cheers

Rod

Capture.JPGPublication1.jpg

I don't mind Willy Weather, I've never noticed the tides being far enough off to make a difference to me, and I fish the Onk a lot and the tides are wacky there anyway.

I also like the graphic representation you get on WW, which not only displays tides but wind, temp. and whatever else you want. Makes it easy to compare several weather variables and choose a good fishing time.

Of course when the forecast turns out to be incorrect everything goes out the window, but that's fishing, and over the years I've learned more when fishing in the "wrong" conditions.

Why would you bother to go to any other site rather than the BOM for tides?

I find it much easier when the info is displayed graphically.  I can look through a months worth of tides and get a good idea of whats happening in about a minute.  BOM only provides (as far as I know) pages of numbers and would be almost impossible.  .  Here's just 2 days of each as an example.

Each to their own though

Cheers

Rod

attachicon.gifCapture.JPGattachicon.gifPublication1.jpg

Rod, I get that and that is cool. But it is only as good as the data WW put in. I have found that their tide data, because they can't seem to copy from the BOM correctly, or use some crap data extraction it is consistently wrong. So with willy weather for me it is - they put shit in - they put shit out. People use it because it is a good app on an smartphone but I have found the data and forecasts on it to be consistently crap. Keep using it by all means but check the BOM from time to time to keep the em honest.

No worries knackers, I don't use willy weather either.  The program I use (wtides) I have found accurate enough to me and tide data is very important to my fishing.  Sorry if I'm repeating myself

Cheers

Rod

No worries. To be honest, at the risk of repeating as well, I do use the willy weather graphs up here in the NT as most of the ramps are only usable at a certain height of tide. If the tide data is right the graphs are usually accruate to 30 mins either side. Worst case was an hour later which put me retrieving in the dark. I always have a hard copy from the BOM website as well adjusted for the spot I'm fishing. I extract them from the BOM into excel and then add/subract to get the right tides.

BOM is the bomb!

The "meteye" section is brilliant, for detailed long range forecasting.

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/

Zoom into the map for your area. Click on your spot and look at the 3 hourly detailed forecast for the next 7 days .

Nobody beats that. Nobody beats their accuracy as they own the weather stations. They have first use of the freshest data.

I use Seabreeze for a graphical overview. But if you are serious, then tunnel into the detail on BOM.

Your life might depend on it one day!

Cheers, Des