which Sunglasses to buy?

my old Maui Jims where the best sunnys ive ever owned glass lenzes are the go but most these days are plastic these days..ive gone back too ugly fish since i dropped my MJs of my head and broke 1 of the lenzes :( had a dummy spit at the time and put them under a gum tree (at pace) too find out later that the lenzes where replacable lol..so if u can afford it go glass mate ;)

I've heard that Tonics are average, I had a pair of Makos and loved them till the arm screw snapped and half is stuck in the arm. I've also had Oakleys which were my favourite till they got left on the roof of the car at Thompson when I drove off.

My current pair I got through my health insurance. I looked at maui jims as they have a lifetime warranty but where out of my budget. I ended up with Oakleys again and love them as they are light and very comfortable

My mate is selling these, new as they have only been tried on. Mako are excellent glasses and these are mega cheap:

For sale brand new pair of Mako Barra 2 (9475 model) sunglasses. Selling to fund a new 8wt rod. Matt black frame grey lense. Only been worn once for a short period and no marks on either the frame or lense. Comes with cleaning cloth and hard shell original case. RRP $280 selling $190 free post anywhere in aust. Feel free to inbox for photos either via email or sms. Cheers

G'day

Maui Jim's were recommended to us by national pharmacies optical.  Mrs got them first as she goes there for glasses, when I needed a new pair of sunnies 3 years ago she convinced me to have a look.  Got about $50 off as I'm a member ended up around $210 which I thought was a great price for such quality.  Best (and most expensive) sunnies I've bought.  Only thing I don't like about glass lenses is the fogging up on cold damp mornings.  Must find  a solution for that one day

Cheers

Rod

If boating is your main reason for sunnies then dont buy expensive. I have lost untold sunnies overboard on boats from leaning over, somebody swiping a rod or rope across my face and sunnies going skyward  with them. Boat sunnies are always getting cleaned because of salt, fish guts etc etc  so they become scratched pretty quick.

If money is no option then buy the expensive stuff, but if you are on a budget buy cheap as you wont have 'em for long are my findings

If you have health cover, even general extras, you can claim for optical. If you have not had an eye examination within the last two years you can organise one and it will not cost you a cent. If the examination determines that you require corrective lenses then you will be able to get prescription sunglasses made and the out of pocket cost to you will be not too much, depending on the frame you choose.

I have 4 or 5 sets of polarised sunnies lying around that I use in the boat, driving etc . Most Health Cover policies allow for a certain amount to be claimed each calender year. I get sunnies one year and normal specs the following. It is worth looking into, just find which optical suppliers are supported by your fund and then check them all out to find a good deal and the frame you want. I have Nike, Mako and Ray Ban frames on my sunnies.

Last last set of glasses I picked up were in December just gone, not sunnies, just normal specs. Just the frames were priced at $260 and the out of pocket expense to me after being fitted with corrective lenses was $40. This was from National Pharmacies at Findon. I joined up as a National Pharmacies Member, can't remember what the cost of that was but it gave me 20% and in the end I was better off than doing it the other way.

Spotters over Tonics for me.... i have a pair of tonics now and they are bad. I look after my sunnies and they are scratched to buggery. They dont clean well. Smear marks stay on there certainly not impressed.

Im a landbased fisho and the glass polarized lenses are a winner for sure!

Will be going back to spotters when someone has them on special....

I have had maui jims now for at least 12 years, maybe about a dozen pair. I always have a set with amber lenses for cloudy glary days and the grey lenses for bright days. I get the sport versions as they are light and stay on your nogging when you lean over. Before maui's it was Mako's for at least 5 pair. They are brilliant as well but the glass lenses make them heavy so a neck strap is a good investment as they do wnat to slide off when you look down. I found that they both are fairly scratch resistant and I usually destroy them completely before they get too scratched. I wait until I go overseas or the the US and buy a few pair on the cheap, although that is getting harder now.

How do I know I have been wearing them for at least 12 years? My wedding trip in 2003 wearing maui's.

i-jX8QJNw-X2.jpg

I've heard that Tonics are average,

Where did you hear that keenfisho?

Tonics crap on everything else, period!,   Does anyone know who originally made the brand spotters?  Doug  Phillips, who makes now tonics? Doug Phillips.  Interested to know if you had glass lenses Southie or poly?

I've heard that Tonics are average,

Where did you hear that keenfisho?

Tonics crap on everything else, period!,   Does anyone know who originally made the brand spotters?  Doug  Phillips, who makes now tonics? Doug Phillips.  Interested to know if you had glass lenses Southie or poly?

Glass mate.. The only reason i bought them was because of the exact reason of Doug Phillips... I dont know maybe i just was unlucky but certainly wasn't impressed

My two cents worth:

As a late-comer to the world of “higher-end” polarised sunglasses, I started off with some metal-framed Makos (can’t remember what model) which were OK without being remarkable. They served me reasonably well, until the left lens fell out (unnoticed) at the Paskeville Field Days one year. (I wondered why I was getting some rather strange looks from passers-by!)

On the way back from Paskeville, I picked up a pair of Spotters  Coyotes at Sportfishing Scene at Cavan. They have been quite good and although they have racked up quite a few Frequent Flyer points, they are still in excellent condition.

However, for my birthday last year I received (after considerable hinting) a pair of Tonic Youraniums. They are without a doubt the most comfortable eyewear I’ve ever worn and the optics are pin-sharp.

Hope this helps...

Cheers

af

There is a review of Gloryfy "unbreakable" sunnies in today's The Weekend Australian Magazine:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/weekend-australian-magazine/gloryfy-unbreakable-sunglasses-road-test/news-story/f6b6d88c8855da201e2cfb81db5723f8

Gloryfy website here:

http://gloryfysunglasses.com.au/?v=6cc98ba2045f

Cheers

af

• 2 years later...

I had a pair of Tonic Sunglasses given to me as a gift 1 month ago, I have looked after my glasses in past. I found the new sunglasses with glass lenses in me hip bag 3 days ago with a shattered lens, I can not work out how this had happened as I have the bag on my most of the time. I have always had sunglasses as I have had boats for 20 years and never broken a leans yet some have fallen out and scrached. I took them back to the supplier and they said there is not warranty on the lenses, I would not recommend the Tonic sunglasses. 

A pity about the tonic's reeftrip, but I'd say you would have buckley's chance of a successful warranty claim under those circumstances from any manufacturer.

I still have my maui jims and had new lenses fitted after I put them up on my head when I went in the shed and had a drink of water, hmmm, concrete and glass not good friends.

I recently went to national pharmacies and got a couple of pairs of the cancer council polarised sunnies, with 20% member discount $24.  They are plastic so good for those cold mornings and knock about type thing.   Actually not too bad either.  A spare pair in the boat and the car 

Cheers

Rod

Yeah agree with the Cancer Council sunnies 👍. Best thing is I know they've done all the work so I don't need to think about getting great eye protection.  All else fails, the $ always goes to a good cause.

Scored a pair of polarised photochromatic Spotters, courtesy of one of our S&H comps and site sponsor.  They are awesome.

I'm shortsighted and usually wear contact lenses out fishing. I'd love prescription lenses in high end sunnies but they are way too $$$.

Otherwise I'm sticking with the polarised pair from my '2 pairs for no out of pocket expense'.

10 hours ago, SurfcaztR said:

prescription lenses

I have just ordered wrap around frame with polarized lenses from optical superstore,frames are $88.

Important to wear polarized sunny's in preventing eye cancer,a friend of mine had khemo on a eye recently if it doesn't work they'll remove the eye.

What is the make & model of the frames?

I have 2 pairs of designated fishing spotters sunnies that i tried on and bought.

If your using them for fishing mainly, try them on. at some stage, you'll look down into the water and if they are not a 'snug fit' you'll lose them at some stage.

Bought my first pair atleast 6 years ago at Whitworths and the second pair, 3 years ago at the 4wd and boat show for 20% off. Virtually scratch resistant and cops salt water spray on a regular basis but after a clean, back to brand new. 

Sure, your looking at around $200 for a pair of sunnies but if you use them constantly, its a good investment.

Just wait for for someone to have a 20% off storewide sale 😎

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

I'm always scratching my good sunnies so have been using polarised safety glasses for everyday work etc and for land based fishing. They're good for cheap sunnies that don't mind scratching or losing but the plastic type lense is not as good as a nice clear glass type. Some of the cheaper ones also have distortions on the lense. However the amount of times I bash my head on a tree with the sunnies acting as a helmet I'm resigned to budget stuff haha.