daiwa saltist extreme rod question

Sorry, maybe should of put this in the similar thread already started, but........

I bought a secondhand Daiwa Demon Blood Saltist 2.4mtr 3 piece rod and tube a while back for travelling to Christmas and Cocos islands later this year. Haven't used it yet, but itching to do so. Seems like a great lightweight HD rod for shore or boat but am curious about one aspect of the rod sections.

Not sure if it matters much in terms of rod performance but the sections dont slide together all the way, there is a small section around 10mm  that does not push right up to the bindings. There is of course still a good 70mm that does slide into the next rod section so strength should not be an issue. Maybe it is designed that way allowing for wear/abrasion  over time and eventually the sections may meet up tight ?

I could sand off a bit but that may mean in time the sections may become a bit sloppy with wear ?

Pictures explains better

DSC_4756.JPG

DSC_4757.JPG

Think this is quite common in certain models of mass produced rods. Probably be ok but can be tweaked to fix. Trouble with 2 piece rods is eventually over time this becomes a wear point. I once bought a expensive smith popper rod that didn't even fit,hahaha. Took it back. It is Possible to very lightly sand and get it to fit better. Or if you would rather take it to a good rod builder to tweak it for you for reseating.I also use a rod ferrule wax which also helps with 2 piece rods too. Hope it helps.cheers

Thanks, one would expect for the price...$400.00 plus  new ...that it would be better refined, seems maybe not ?

Easy enough to lightly sand back to make a better look, but maybe not necessary, but purely for aesthetics. My concern is if I sand it back a little to fit nice and snug and pretty after a while of use it may become sloppy in the joins. Wonder if it is deliberately designed as it is to allow for future wear. Might try some ferrule wax even if to make the chance of jamming less of a worry.

Cheers

OK, just been doing some internet searches and it seems this is common, if not deliberate to allow for wear down the track enabling the rod to last longer. Seems sanding is not a good idea as was suspected it may in time lead to sloppy joints. I'll leave it be and just apply ferrule wax or graphite powder regularly

also helps if when you are assembling rod if you set the piece of rod about to be joined slightly off centre & then with a light twist & push as you line up the guides if you have done this correctly you will not be able to straight pull the that piece of rod of the other to remove just reverse the above procedure. do not put any lubricant on the joints this may jam the pieces of the rod together.

also helps if when you are assembling rod if you set the piece of rod about to be joined slightly off centre & then with a light twist & push as you line up the guides if you have done this correctly you will not be able to straight pull the that piece of rod of the other to remove just reverse the above procedure. do not put any lubricant on the joints this may jam the pieces of the rod together.

What about graphite powder or  similarly rub a bit of pencil on the male end

Yeah no problem there! Should be more worried about the big GT's and Tunas that this rod was designed for haha.

I Absolutely love demon blood rods they have served me very well.

Goodluck at Xmas Island man hope you get to tame some big ones with it.

Cheers, only 1 week on Christmas Island and 2 weeks on Cocos Islands ...should be able to give it a good test of it's worth