Okay so now i have my fishing mojo back and I am starting to broaden My Horizion again by Using "bait"

Just Wondering What people do with there bait..... Usually I buy the bait I want and take it with me, but When I finish I can't be bothered taking it home so i Give it to someone around me or I just throw it away..

So how do you fishos combat this?

I was thinking of buying bulk bait and then separating them into plastic takeaway containers and marking what it can be used for? 

What other methods have people used To  store and take Bait when out fishing?

I don't buy bait these days, squid catches are separated into hoods for the wife, tentacles & heads for bait.

Whiting heads & frames are kept for a berley grind up day or snapper bait

If I can get onto slimies, even better for bait

After a day of fishing all thawed out bait goes back in the bait freezer for the berley mix  

Every year I end up with about 10 2 ltr buckets of berley  B)

I usually buy bait in bulk up to 3 times a year or do a top up as needed.

• 4/5 blocks of pilchards
  • 20kg sack of cockles
  • 5kg blocks of squid
  • Packs of small prawns & large green prawns
  • Packs of whitebait & or frogmouth pilchards
  • Long life gents
  • Fish heads & frames from local fish monger
  • Buckets of pellets in different sizes from local grain store
  • Large bottles of tuna oil
  • Many packets of bloodworms (These are free of course)

All stored in a dedicated upright freezer in the garage with the bulk packs split into separate bags. Dont need to worry about bait this way when you want to go out. Works out cheaper this way as suppliers will provide a discount for bulk purchases. Other bait is caught such as mackeral, tommies, gar, squid (heads only kept)etc. Crab & prawn shells are also kept & frozen. Any bait left over is used for berley or salted or brined & re frozen or refrigerated. Just a habit I have had for many years. 

I separate all my bait into smaller lots and zip lock. In the boat I also have a smaller esky about 20 litres or so that fits into my chest freezer. I put all the bait and ice into this and chill it down overnight. This goes into my bigger esky with drinks, ice etc and i only get bait out as I need it. I often take home still frozen bait like squid and pillies.

I do the same when fishing from the shore but because I have about 300 amp hours of battery in the car and 200W of solar panels on the roof and a 140 watt folding panel I can run a 40 litre engel as a freezer and a 60 litre fridge. Pull small bits of bait out of the freezer as required whilst topping up my gin and tonic with copious amounts of ice.

The other thing I do when fishing for whiting is to shell all the cockles that have defrosted and put them in a container with salt that stays in the boat. A good way to save cockles, and the fish never know the difference.