Shimano Torium

The "medium-heavy" class of overheads, which those Toriums belong to, are definitely capable of doing all the things you mentioned. The bigger models, 20 and 30lb class reels, will easily handle small to medium tuna and sharks, possibly a bit of overkill on snapper but if paired with the right rod would work great, especially on deeper drops, and they make great surf casting reels.

I have no personal experience with the Torium series, I'm not a big fan of many of Shimano's reels, they look and feel cheap to me. The exceptions being the TLD series and their small threadlines.

One word of warning on the Torium for surf casting, or any casting really, the spool does not look to have much of a flange to it, so when trying to control it with your thumb you'll most likely burn the crap out of it because you have to apply pressure directly on the line. :o

A couple reels in the same class I would recommend for your purposes are the Penn Squall, or possibly the Fathom. I have a Squall 25N and use it for surf fishing for mullys and sharks, beautiful casting reel, strong, smooth drag, well made and reasonably priced.

http://pennfishing.com.au/product/squall-star-drag/

I also have a few Daiwa Sealine X reels which are brilliant, they are still sold by Daiwa in most other countries but not here.

The 16hg torium looks the goods to me, compact and holds plenty of 50lb braid,

I agree overkill for snapper, and i do have other combos that are more specifically suited, but with the chance of Sampsons at some new drops for me I'd rather the re-assurance

Hmmm thumbing the spool could be an intersting experience then if i put my back into a cast! Haha

Funnily enough i have just got a penn squall also, 30ld model, however i am a bit nervous with it only having 6kg of drag pressure max?

Whats the drag rating on the 25n plankton?

And by sharks i mean nothing too serious, gummies, schoolies, the odd bronzy and hammerhead but nothing over say 20kg max

Funnily enough i have just got a penn squall also, 30ld model, however i am a bit nervous with it only having 6kg of drag pressure max?

Whats the drag rating on the 25n plankton?

Penn says it's 9kg.

I also noticed that Daiwa is selling a version of the Sealine X here again, although it's a bit more expensive than the models I have.

http://daiwafishing.com.au/products/sealine-xg/

I'm a big fan of Shimano overheads. I have a TLD 15 and 25 for exactly what you want to do. Although my favourite reel in this class and purpose is an ABU 9000. I also have a Shimano Tyrnos 30 that I use for big stuff and it is bullet proof. I did have 3 daiwa overheads, a Sealine level wind 47H and from memory a sealine 400 or 450 and the bigger 900. They were really good for the price but the 47h used to chew through the level wind worm gear for some reason where my ABU 7000s never did. After using in the surf it got relegated to a boat only reel and it still chewed worm gears - ended up removing it.

" I'm not a big fan of many of Shimano's reels, they look and feel cheap to me"

Plankton, wash your mouth out! ;) This is probably the best looking overhead I've laid eyes on! I can't justify getting one though

http://www.shimanofish.com.au/products/fishing-reels/game/talica.html

I do admit the TLD do feel cheap, coz they are but they do the job.

One very good source for info on overhead reels is on Alan Tani's website. Warning though, if you get on it you might take hours just reading some of the tutorials, looking at how to's etc etc. 

Fair enough Knackers, to each their own I guess. I actually think the TLDs are the toughest feeling reel they make. It's the more compact overheads like Torsas and Toriums that Shimano tries to make look all blinged out with cheap looking and feeling plastic and metal parts that I'm talking about.

I don't have any experience with the Talica, but I reckon I'd rather buy an Accurate or Avet, now they're some sexy looking reels!

I do agree that the Tyrnos are good reels, basically a metal TLD.

You're also spot on about Abu making the only levelwind that can handle being on a beach.

And yes, anyone even remotely interested in overhead reels should have a look at Tani's site, an incredible wealth of free information.

I'd have to disagree with you on the torium there plankton, held one under quite a bit of fresh pressie and it was silky smooth and felt solid

I have 3 abu 7000's for the surf and they have stood up to the crap that I've given them over the last 6 or 7 years... the torium will replace one, I'll give it a go this weekend and see how it goes, I'm sure it's capable of being nice and smooth and also handling anything im likely to encounter (big rays, bronzies, gummies, salmon, mullies, snapper etc.)

Maybe I'll write up a bit of a review after say 6 months of use 😊

Just had a quick skim over that site... looks like I'll be doing a bit of study in my down time!

G'day plankton, just a quick heads up on how the weekend went..... seaweed everywhere! Caught the one shark, let him fight another day, the reel casted very smoothly once dialed in, I'll admit it requires an educated thumb though compared to others, all in all pretty happy with its performance hauling in weed monsters! Haha