Onkaparinga freshwater, Callop & cod

I have been doing volunteer work in the Onkaparinga NP for over 5 years and this is the first time I've ever heard of anything like that caught in the Onka itself. I guess it's a possibility in the Mt Bold reservoir. Do know of and seen some monster bright orange Goldfish in parts of the Onka Gorge though...and of course Carp

Just wish SA Water was reading this thread and feeling some sympathy for us.

Heard stories of big cod in the South Para Reservoir.

When divers went down to inspect the dam wall, they saw huge cod in the deeper water.

South Para is almost empty, so is the Warren, which in my opinion should be kept topped up if we have to pay to fish it.

I also heard of native fish being released in Chain of Ponds and Kangaroo Creek.

Dream of the day when we can fish there.

SA Water? Pretty sure its a French company. Pretty sure if they read this they'd be more like "They have CARP, CARP I TELL YOU! THE HOLY GRAIL OF FISH AND THEY WANT TO CATCH SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!"

"That is it! Lock up there waters 'till not a soul can look at a creek without trespassing, 'till the people can no longer access public land and until we own the rain itself from the moment it has fallen! mwahahaha"

So from what I gather SA Water's main arguments are: (correct me if I'm wrong?)

Driest State:

Protect the water from pollution. Conserve the water because we are limited....both OKAY arguments but nothing that certainly can't be worked around with cooperation. 

The only real argument I can see them pushing is one based on safety/protection from being sued etc. . Certainly for example..getting into Kangaroo Creek Reservoir for a fish at present would result in a few accidents/falls/broken ankles. All that can be fixed though with cooperation on their part ie. access routes. 

I admit I don't know a lot of the technicalities of what is going on and I'm sure others can elaborate on those aspects. What remains though is a pretty sorry state of affairs for rec fishing. 

I have heard rumors of fantastic fish coming out of the reservoirs/ SA water lands, particularly sections of Mt Bold and Kangaroo Creek. Would be nice to fish them no matter what the species in their are.  :D

In the driest state in Australia I'm sure there would be a lot of opposition to topping up reservoirs purely for the benefit of fishermen while home owners are facing huge and ever increasing water bills. Couple this with the problem of some fishermen who will inevitably pollute the catchment areas with refuse left behind after a session the chances of all our vital reservoirs being open for rec fishers is very low.

the lower the water the better the fishing in ressies.......so they say.

cheers b

Yes and no mate.

Yes it concentrates the fish in a smaller area, thereby increasing the chances of hookup.

No, because the competition for food increases and stunts the sizes of resident fish populations like redfin.

Little Para Reservoir has good sized redfin, but I only know this from stories from long time residents of where I live fishing the reservoir years ago.

Now it is fenced off like a concentration camp.

Because nobody fishes it, the big redfin eat the baby redfin on a never ending cycle, not like the Warren Reservoir where the big redfin have mostly been caught and all that is left is a stunted population of small redfin.

By the way, $300 fine if anyone is thinking of fishing in any offline reservoirs in SA.

South Para fishes great when the waters down.......if you can walk over the old bridge under the current road bridge, then the big reddies will be out to play

At least thats the rumour I've heard  :ph34r:

Further to this, drove over the south para about an hour ago, and she's barren, could barely see water from the road, and the old bridge is high and dry haha