Hey just a confused one

I've posted this on another forum a couple of things that have confused me . As you may know I had a traumatic brain injury in October . I'm getting there slowly .

As an outing I was taken to a big Adelaide tackle shop I've shopped there for years .

I asked about a rod I saw on the Diawa fishing show next level on fox . Don't ask me which one except guides were the same materials as the rod . They knew the one took out another rod the one I showed interest in which wasn't there they said 700 bucks the one they stocked 600 bucks . Not sure if their prices are over the top or what .

Then they asked me about reels I said I use a 1000 Diawa and a 750 shimano .

Hmm what do you do I use soft plastics and hard bodies oh no no you shouldn't use reels that small use a 2500 .

I was like ok thanks .

I'm totally confused used both reels on both types of lures caught fish .

And they sold me the 1000 Diawa and were told what I'd use it for .

So yeah confusing but I'll keep using the small reels

hey good to hear from you again mickyj, dont worry to much over the size reel you are using as long as you happy with it. I have gone down the same path early days of lure fishing & braid line loved the 1000 size shimano's & others. I have upgraded in recent times & purchased a couple of 2500 sized reels somewhat for slightly heavier braids. Their has been a couple of write ups in the fishing mags over the last few months on why 2500 reels are better for light braids but I will stick to me 1000 sizes its a good buzz hearing those small spools spin on a good fish.  :)

hey good to hear from you again mickyj, dont worry to much over the size reel you are using as long as you happy with it. I have gone down the same path early days of lure fishing & braid line loved the 1000 size shimano's & others. I have upgraded in recent times & purchased a couple of 2500 sized reels somewhat for slightly heavier braids. Their has been a couple of write ups in the fishing mags over the last few months on why 2500 reels are better for light braids but I will stick to me 1000 sizes its a good buzz hearing those small spools spin on a good fish.  :)

Thanks projoe 

The amazing thing i watched an ET episode on the weekend he was fishing for Bass . He was sprouting use a light rod reel and line size of reel 1000 makes you think .

I was interested in that Rod but not for 600 or 700 bucks wages i should say leave wages stopped 3 or 4 weeks ago but im still employed 

I think the theory behind 2500 reals being better than 1000 is that they

A) have greater line capacity incase you hook a monster

B) the greater the spool width the less loops of line have to come off to get the same length of line off. That means less friction and fractionally longer casting distance.

I still use the little 1000 reels where I can, they are so much fun to use and are nice light.

Don't know about the rods mate sorry.

I think the theory behind 2500 reals being better than 1000 is that they

A) have greater line capacity incase you hook a monster

B) the greater the spool width the less loops of line have to come off to get the same length of line off. That means less friction and fractionally longer casting distance.

I still use the little 1000 reels where I can, they are so much fun to use and are nice light.

Don't know about the rods mate sorry.

If you notice my avatar on the side thats one of my 40 cm mullieway caught on a diawa aird 1500.

LArgest ive landed on a 100 or 750 is a 38cm bream still to land that 40cm 

Honestly using the 2500 feels to big like using a game reel to land bream just my thoughts 

And line size for bream 6lb braid 6lb leader any heavier they get spooked 

Spin flourocarbon i use 4lb 

When im healthy that is 

A 1000 size reel in my opinion is the best match for bream fishing which you do a lot of.

I found a 1500 size Shimano Symetre which is still fine, and casts a mile with 4lb braid.

But I think a 2500 is overkill for bream.

My 750 is a Symetre Tinker 

I know people think their a toy i wanna feel that big fish on small reel 

one thing in my life i want to do before i kick off i survived that last accident dont wish to sit and worry i wanna catch  a large fish on a small reel.

As i said before ET recomends a 1000 for estuary fishing 

Ages ago I used a 1000 Strafic FJ for pretty much everything. Big carp to 5kg, schoolies although small but to 55cm, all my bream, yfw, trout, etc.

It always felt nice and light in hand matched to a 1-3kg rod. I have moved up in gear quality since to a Daiwa 2004 Caldia and the normal reason why people suggest a 2500 size reel is because of the extra line capacity/drag. Most customers I sell light gear to always pick out a 2500 reel to cover all bases. 1000 tests your angler ability when you do hook a bigger fish but that's all part of the fun.

Yep, as everyone has said its simply more fun, more challenging and more comfortable of the little 1000 sized reels. I've landed near 3ft carp on a Symetre and 2-6lb rod. Was great fun and a challenge. The only difference I find is if, say I was fishing in the Onk or Coorong or similar and I caught a just legal ST. If I had my 1000 and 4lb line I'd be nervous if a metre plus mulloway steamed off to say the least, while if I had a 2500 with 200 yards of 8lb I'd still be sh!tting bricks but I'd be far more confident in landing it.

In summary, if you have two combo's for inshore fishing, have both and use the 1000 most of the time. If you only have 1 combo, a 2500 is probably more versatile even though it does feel like your winching in <35cm fish.

JMO

Morning Mickyj. It is all about the fishing experience. What works for you may not work for someone else. We both know that a 1000 reel is a great buzz when it sings even with the smaller local fish. Hooked up to a bruiser 2 weeks ago on my 1000. What a rush. Lost the fish but not because of the reel. It would not have mattered what size it was as a snag is a snag. I am more than happy to fish the local with a 1000/2004 reel but go up to a 2500 for the Onkaparinga just for the off chance of a bigger catch. Your experiences with what you use have been enjoyable so keep it up. Looking forward to seeing you back harrassing the fish again soon. Regards, HBt.

• 1 month later...

Lol, didn't see this post...

Yeah, covered the reel, I think the rods you're looking at are the AGS models.

Air. Guide. System.

It won ICAST awards, apparently improves casting distance by 30%... But after asking the guys in the know, they don't, and that's pretty much what makes them worth that extra 300-400$

They are much lighter, might create less friction... But it's all in the curve that makes them cast further Ive been told.

Basically (from what was explained to me) is it has two different curves.

That is to say, the way the rod flexes is different for a cast than for loaded up with a fish.

Not sure how it achieves this, but I have held one while it was fully loaded up by the guy explaining it to me, so far that I started squinting my eyes, waiting to hear a crack and trying to explain that I couldn't afford to replace it if he snapped it...

Very strong rod, and much like my majorcraft I bought from Miscreate on here, in that it seems to have no limit to its flex..

I haven't used one personally, but don't think I could spend that much when my majorcraft has a lighter both casting weight and line class rating of o,5-5g and 1-5lb (from memory)

But that's not accurate, as I've broken 8lb with it fully loaded up, and still think it could do up to 12 lb

That said, I did snap it, but from first tying it to a ute roll bar coming back from Wallaroo. Broke exactly where it was in contact with the bar, so I'm thinking it wore a weak point or chipped first.

Was around $300, and personally, I couldn't ask for anymore out of a rod than what that could do!

Only catch is, they don't seem to stock that model in Aus... But I could be wrong

• 2 weeks later...