Carp Crab Bait

Anybody ever used Carp for Crab nets ? Planning on going out on the boat with my brother next week to try for some Blueys around Brighton/Glenelg region as there seems to be some in the area. Have to head down to Milang on lake Alexandrina tomorrow  and thought about trying to get a few carp to use as Crab bait...will it work OK, or am I wasting my time ?

Not only are carp smelly leaving a pungent scent trail, but they are tough old things that don't get broken down by crabs quickly.

Excellent crab bait, and by taking them out of the River, you are doing nature a favour.

Take your light bream gear and make some sport of it on the carp.

I tell you the best crab bait I have ever used was chicken frames until some over educated under worked moron came along and said we can no longer use them because they attract sharks.So we can use a big chunk of smelly carp soaked in tuna oil for bait but a chicken frame is a big no-no.The idiots have taken over the asylum In this once great state.

I have read elsewhere Carp are good crab bait but I don't have any personal intel on that.

I have a freezer full of KGW heads & frames and Squid heads/guts I need to soak before I need to chase Carp. Also any shitties trumpeters we catch get a quick knifing and into the nets. These all seem to work.

Use to use carp all the time with great success way better than other bait's

Ive tried ,you could buy it at tackle store's in pack's like tommies but I believe

they banned its use along with red meat from what I remember .

Carp didn't get banned with the land based animals and is still available at tackle shops.

And you're right it is a great crab bait

Cheers

Yorky

Hi Col , hey my brother has been getting crabs at the Broadway ,the northern side don't know the exact spot ,but 26 first day then 20 next day a then another 13, 3 days ago , he is getting then diving with a cray noose , around 8 ft of water ,and has told me he has seen big squid , and a lot of kgw , flounder and all sorts so hope you do well , maybe worth trying on the bottom for kgw , and a squid jig out     good luck   cheers

best bait u can use mate but getting the smell off ya hands takes a few weeks lol  plenty off crabs around atm we dumped all our garfish frames yesterday as know one had any room in there freezers also a gun bait ;)

Still got them Bobby gonna rearrange the freezers somehow (just thought, might end up in the Engel)

As far as crab bait I use Atlantic Salmon heads in my large nets (2 / net) and find them the ducks nuts. Cost $2 / head at Samtass but they do produce every time. Work great during winter too.

My advice get some and try carp and let us know what you find now that the crabs are running hard. Like I said found AS better by a country mile IMO

Cheers

Use to use carp all the time with great success way better than other bait's

Ive tried ,you could buy it at tackle store's in pack's like tommies but I believe

they banned its use along with red meat from what I remember .

Carp didn't get banned with the land based animals and is still available at tackle shops.

And you're right it is a great crab bait

Cheers

Yorky

That's good news Yorky ,It disappeared for a while around the time the meat and

chicken ban came in .We used to buy it at st Kilda but they told us it was no longer

available , it was almost 15 years ago now tho so maybe my memory is a little off .

I will be using it again for sure now tho .

About the only use for em anyway .

Mike

What rig you use for the carp

I use a basic patanosta with bread as bait my 5 yr old caught 13 in two day's last time were

up at mannum , the old Scottish guy fishing next to him was not impressed see'ing he caught 0

in same spot over the two day's ,Im hoping it continues when we get him on the whiting :) .

best bait u can use mate but getting the smell off ya hands takes a few weeks lol  plenty off crabs around atm we dumped all our garfish frames yesterday as know one had any room in there freezers also a gun bait ;)

Still got them Bobby gonna rearrange the freezers somehow (just thought, might end up in the Engel)

As far as crab bait I use Atlantic Salmon heads in my large nets (2 / net) and find them the ducks nuts. Cost $2 / head at Samtass but they do produce every time. Work great during winter too.

My advice get some and try carp and let us know what you find now that the crabs are running hard. Like I said found AS better by a country mile IMO

Cheers

No need to handle carp to bait the crab nets as you can use gloves or serrated fish pliers  ;)  ;) lol.

Have used carp almost exclusively & during winter as well.  Have always done very well. (no cost to me courtesy of a mate living on Hindmarsh Island - Plenty carp there)

Lately I have also used other fish scraps, frames, heads, squid pieces, cockle shells mixed with nuggets & tuna oil, el cheapo sardine tins pierced etc in other nets & all have produced. Whilst the crabs are running it seems any fish type bait will do. When crabs are less abundant then back to carp only :) :)

Just to give a different opinion, I've not done much crabbing but bought a net and gave it a go with carp because I thought it would be great bait. Had my net out off the end of Largs and kept moving it every so often about the area. Didn't get a single one. Old guy rocks up chucking his nets same places as mine loaded with whiting heads and started cleaning up pulling in legal sizes with regularity. We were fishing side by side for most of it covering the area and swapping spots but not one had a go at the carp while he left with several in his bucket. Only difference I could see was I had carp and he had whiting heads.

Just to give a different opinion, I've not done much crabbing but bought a net and gave it a go with carp because I thought it would be great bait. Had my net out off the end of Largs and kept moving it every so often about the area. Didn't get a single one. Old guy rocks up chucking his nets same places as mine loaded with whiting heads and started cleaning up pulling in legal sizes with regularity. We were fishing side by side for most of it covering the area and swapping spots but not one had a go at the carp while he left with several in his bucket. Only difference I could see was I had carp and he had whiting heads.

That's interesting, now I'm even more confused lol lol