The Morality of Fishing

Okay, I`ll bite - a manifestation of inherent human atavistic need which harks back to our origins and development as a species, and has not yet been totally subsumed in all people by urbanisation and "civilisation".

Exactly the same "need" to interact with the natural world that drives the desire in some (many?) to own pets, go camping and grow one`s own vegies. Merely on a different level.

The question itself, of course, infers some sort of reprehensibility in the pastime - which would logically make one wonder whether any person asking such a question would be ideologically inclined towards anthropomorphism - at the extreme end of the scale, typified by hardline animal rights activists who would maintain that even owning a pet is a form of slavery or compensation for some personal deficiency.

One could respond to such a question by seeking justification for asking the question in the first place, merely by saying;
"And I need to morally justify my fishing in the first instance...because?"
;)

I am presuming the thread starter was made with the intent of merely gathering opinions rather than engaging in further discussion, and on that basis I personally will continue merely watching this thread without further active participation.
:)

You are not chucking out a bait here yourself, are you?

How does one morally justify eating a piece of chicken, a steak or any other meat for that matter. I believe most people eat their catch and can justify fishing because of that.

However I do see that in the future it will be frowned upon to be seen posing for a photograph holding a large dead fish as a trophy. Look in the past, at one stage it was a champion effort to shoot a lion or elephant and stand next to it for a photo, and what about sharks, some years back to catch a large shark and hold its jaws open made for a good newspaper story. Try that now and see the reaction, it is viewed as barbaric by many.

Anyway, I go fishing and I only kill what I will eat and use, and it tastes good!

Well,as others have said,it provides food,sport and recreation........that is my 2c worth.

I suggest if you come onto a dedicated angling site and ask such a question (without any explanation,theory or justification) then you clearly have too much time on your hands!

Perhaps you should dedicate your energies to ridding the world of terrorists,rapists and pedophiles ( not sure how you justify them? ) before going after rec fisho's.

Just my opinion though........

Well,as others have said,it provides food,sport and recreation........that is my 2c worth.

I suggest if you come onto a dedicated angling site and ask such a question (without any explanation,theory or justification) then you clearly have too much time on your hands!

Perhaps you should dedicate your energies to ridding the world of terrorists,rapists and pedophiles ( not sure how you justify them? ) before going after rec fisho's.

Just my opinion though........

My opinion also.

Plus.....who the hell are you ?....hit and run is morally intolerable

If someone were to ask you "how would you morally justify fishing?", how would you respond to such a question?

Rather than postulate a hypothetical argument, I would seek clarification by answering "Why do you feel one needs to morally justify fishing?"

Then with some understanding on the perspective of one asking such question, a reasonable answer could be formulated.

Sounds like someone has had a mental blank on what a reasonable answer would be for an assignment......perhaps?

Soooo, you cant think for yourself, so why not get others to answer the question for you?

Smart, but lazy!

But once you get in to the real world, 'the work force' you'll need to think for yourself...... or drown!

If you had any interest in fishing, you'd come up with an answer.

Maybe get on a charter and figure it out for yourself.

First of all...first post , and why the  question..? What is your  point of asking this question..??? do you fish..???  do you eat fish ..????

Do you own a boat..??? If  this is about catching fish and eating then , great I love catching and eating my catch , and fish is good for you .

A bit weird if you ask me :huh: 

So I will ask do you eat , meat and or poultry...??? â€‹   I grow veggies , and pull them out the ground , and eat them yummy .

maybe a little more about , what you do and maybe I will see the point..... ;)

This may be a bit of an unusual topic for many of you, however, it's still something worth discussing -- and falls under the spectrum of "general fishing". 

If someone were to ask you "how would you morally justify fishing?", how would you respond to such a question?

I don't morally justify it.  It is not a moral issue.

This may be a bit of an unusual topic for many of you, however, it's still something worth discussing -- and falls under the spectrum of "general fishing". 

I don't morally justify it.  It is not a moral issue.

This ^^^^^^^

No more needs to be said

First of all, a big fat hearty welcome to our beloved fishing forum called Strike Hook.

Second, there are many of us on this site that practice catch and release. In fact, watching a fish swim away healthy is one of the aspects I enjoy most.

Thirdly, never piss on an electric fence, or play leapfrog with a unicorn.

I have a unicorn for sale if you want one.

First of all, a big fat hearty welcome to our beloved fishing forum called Strike Hook.

Second, there are many of us on this site that practice catch and release. In fact, watching a fish swim away healthy is one of the aspects I enjoy most.

Thirdly, never piss on an electric fence, or play leapfrog with a unicorn.

I have a unicorn for sale if you want one.

Sorry, I have just sold my unicorn to this lady who plans to breed them....

Apparently she used to work at the Crazy Horse.

That would have been very yucky.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

You put this question up as your first post, so what are your thoughts on the question.. I'm sure we'd all like to see what you have to say... :blink:

This is how I justify it. From a young boy my parents have had a holiday house on the Yorke Peninsula, they purchased the place as a result of them enjoying the life style that a quiet coastal towns offers.   I grew up in the dessert on the Nullarbor plain in South Australia and as a family we would visit our holiday house on the Yorke Peninsula during holiday periods.  During this time as a family we would participate in the hobby of fishing.  This activity would provide us with food as well as an activity that we could all participate in and enjoy as a family.  The rural town that our holiday house is in is a town that people who share similar interest congregate.  One of these interest is fishing, when I say fishing I mean the hobby that provides the participant with an adventure, social interaction, stimulation, a learning experience and a source of food, not the destructive, ruthless, activity that people like you try and promote.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is that fishing is a lot more to us then putting a hook in a fishes mouth. Take this forum for example, its a place that like minded guys can sit and have a chat, talk about things not just fishing related, make friends etc.

If people like yourself really want to make a difference channel your energy to topics that are really causing a detrimental affect on society. Drug addiction, peoples heath, child abuse, theft, jobs.

Thank you to those of you with sincere answers. To give some context to this thread. I have been fishing for the most part of my life, however, I recently finished my "Masters of Philosophy" degree, and it has made me think about things a bit differently. So I thought I'd ask some fellow South Australians a question, because some of you may have had similar thoughts at some point.

Cheers.

Well,if you were as smart as your Degree claims you to be,this should have been your first posting,followed by your question in the original post.

Then,you would have possibly received some more useful data.

Just what the world needs.........another do-gooder instead of another worker............

Thank you to those of you with sincere answers. To give some context to this thread. I have been fishing for the most part of my life, however, I recently finished my "Masters of Philosophy" degree, and it has made me think about things a bit differently. So I thought I'd ask some fellow South Australians a question, because some of you may have had similar thoughts at some point.

Cheers.

Now this makes a little bit of sense , unfortunately they have taught you at school , to do things backwards ...so next time you think differently , just turn it around .....and you should be fine...... ;)

G'day

I've seen 'first posts' a few times on fishing forums that contain agenda based questions by radical greenies.  You know, the kind that scream "murderers" to a man and his son fishing off a warf.  I suspect others have seen this type of thing.   With no context or introduction in your original post you got what should be expected in the responses.  ie a mixture due to confusion about the context of the question and people wondering what is your agenda.  Otherwise you would have got more "sincere responses" I suspect

Cheers
Rod

With no context or introduction in your original post you got what should be expected in the responses.  ie a mixture due to confusion about the context of the question and people wondering what is your agenda. 

I didn't expect, nor do I believe that I should have expected some people to jump to these erroneous conclusions. It was just a question. Anyone who finds comfort in fishing, shouldn't feel threatened when questioned about the morality of it -- this may have caused them to draw conclusions about my motives, rather than simply answering what they personally think about the question itself.

So if you did a bit of research on the website prior to asking a question that people (majority fisher people on the website, since its a fishing forum), you would have learnt that you introduce yourself first, tell us a bit about yourself, where your interest lies, then ask the question.

It's like a being an atheist and a Jehovah coming to your door preaching.

You're going to get 1 of 4 things happen

1-A door slammed in your face

2-You're ears bitten right off and being told to get stuffed

3-Depending on the person that opens the door, you may not be able to walk to the gate that you came in from or

4-Perhaps 1-5% will actually listen to what you have to say cos they were doing nothing at home

Did i just put my philosophizing hat on there?

I might have to reconsider going to uni if they are giving away degrees!!

I'm feeling philosophical so i might just answer part of your question.

In life, you tend to do things that you enjoy or like doing.

I like fishing, so i go fishing

I like watching and playing sport, so i watch and play sport.

I don't like watching boxing, but i like UFC

I don't like watching golf, but i'll play golf with mates.

I don't like any of the CSI / law and order bulls**t shows, as i believe they teach or provide the clues on how to kill / murder others, so i don't watch it.

Everything in life is a choice. 

Why did you choose philosophy as a degree and not marine biology? 

Its a choice.

I choose to go fishing because instead of buying fish from a market or shop (and only god knows where the hell they buy it from or how long its stayed in the shop for), i go catch myself a feed and spend quality time with my dad on the water relaxing and listening to the ocean....

You get the drift......... :boat:

We do feel defensive about our hobby not because we are struggling with the moral dilemma of killing a worm to catch a fish, but more so because our hobby is under attack from all sides none of which would be necessary if there were more like-minded people like us who love and enjoy protecting and being out in the environment.

I feel that(and i may be wrong)that if you spent more time at Uni discussing the real issues with your hairy unwashed colleagues instead of trying to entice a bunch of innocent fisho's into a mass debate that was doomed from the start you might of gained more of a feeling of superiority and intellect that you obviously crave.

cheers b

hehe *mass debate

p.s get lost