The Morality of Fishing

With no context or introduction in your original post you got what should be expected in the responses.  ie a mixture due to confusion about the context of the question and people wondering what is your agenda. 

I didn't expect, nor do I believe that I should have expected some people to jump to these erroneous conclusions. It was just a question. Anyone who finds comfort in fishing, shouldn't feel threatened when questioned about the morality of it -- this may have caused them to draw conclusions about my motives, rather than simply answering what they personally think about the question itself.

Are you serious , Your'e university educated and you could not perceive that you're question

you posted on a fishing forum would not get the reaction it got ,especially you're first post .

No offence , but deep thought may not be you're thing or you need to visit more forum's co's you

came across like a TROLL with you're question .

With no context or introduction in your original post you got what should be expected in the responses.  ie a mixture due to confusion about the context of the question and people wondering what is your agenda. 

I didn't expect, nor do I believe that I should have expected some people to jump to these erroneous conclusions. It was just a question. Anyone who finds comfort in fishing, shouldn't feel threatened when questioned about the morality of it -- this may have caused them to draw conclusions about my motives, rather than simply answering what they personally think about the question itself.

TAT,

I think Rod is correct here. With no clear context people will wonder what your agenda is. So........ I can accept at the outset, that perhaps your initial approach was a little naive. However, having received all the responses above, to steadfastly maintain the position that people have jumped unnecessarily to conclusions is really naive. You are 'poking the bear' and are surprised when it bites you hand.

Your post has got a lot of hits for all the wrong reasons, but it's uncovered some latent wits, Pauline and Unicorns! Love it. She is/was also deluded.

For the sake of the intellectual and purely philosophical thoughts I assume your seeking I'll offer the following.

It's one of the few places I experience solitude, a rare commodity on a crowded earth, a time when I can reflect on what is really important in life, undistracted by someone trying to sell me something in a consumerist world.

It allows me to look at and appreciate nature at it's finest, dolphins, sea eagles, whales, sharks, fish and seabirds. The pastime influences the way I view the world.

When we fish, we are targetting table species. There is always a degree of bycatch that is inedible or undesirable. But they are thrown back. Some live and some die, usually from barotrauma. I don't like waste or unnecessary death, but I accept it as part of it. After filleting the fish we take, I always try and put the waste back in the water to become part of the food chain again. I foresee a future when some undesirables become table fare, travel to the mediterranean and you'll see that in action. A guy in an large Athen's fishmarket told me most of his fish was imported from New Zealand.

Any fish we keep are eaten and not wasted, unless my adolescent son unplugs the freezer to vacuum his car and doesn't turn it back on!!!!!!

With a little forethought and research of this website, you would have found lengthy discussions and 'conflict' of Rec's v Pro's v Govt v Greenies etc in the fishing fraternity. Personally I think the least damaging way to catch fish is with a line and hook and there are some Pro's that fish that way. The industrialisation of fishing is environmentally destructive in a way not possible by recreational fishers. An analogy...... farmer clears trees with an axe v Corporation uses bulldozers and fire to speed up the process and maximise profits.

Either way I'll be fishing till I can't get up or get it up. 

Whilst we're on philosophy. What about this once proud country becoming a nanny state. Rules and more rules pervading our society to extent that we need signs everywhere we go preventing us from imminent danger. How is that affecting the human gene pool buy robbing morons of their god given right to go kill themselves, sometimes after saying "hey watch this"????

What are your thoughts?

Bo

Thank you to those of you with sincere answers. To give some context to this thread. I have been fishing for the most part of my life, however, I recently finished my "Masters of Philosophy" degree, and it has made me think about things a bit differently. So I thought I'd ask some fellow South Australians a question, because some of you may have had similar thoughts at some point.

Cheers.

I'm interested to know in which discipline you gained your Masters, please

Thank you to those of you with sincere answers. To give some context to this thread. I have been fishing for the most part of my life, however, I recently finished my "Masters of Philosophy" degree, and it has made me think about things a bit differently. So I thought I'd ask some fellow South Australians a question, because some of you may have had similar thoughts at some point.

Cheers.

So you are one of those people wasting tax payers money on stupid uni courses that go nowhere.I bet you are doing an arts degree next.