Easy ramp to launch for beginner

I'm getting my license this weekend and with all the safety gear etc taken care of leaves me with my decision of where to launch her from for the first time(9.9hp 14ft tinny only 2 people max)...old pic in photo only has the 6hp on then.

The trailer sits maybe 40-50mm higher than most due to its design and 15" rims.....my car is also rear wheel drive only.....just a BA Falcon sedan so not looking to get the rear tires to wet if at all if that's possible?

The car has fully adjustable suspension all round I'm thinking raising the rear suspension will lower the rear of the trailer somewhat and aid in launching?

Trailer isn't on tow bar in the pic it comes up another 10-15mm from how pic shows....plus I can raise rear of car more.

Id really appreciate the tips from you seasoned boaters :)

I'm thinking somewhere around Garden Island to learn first off possibly?

Thankyou.

clean new boat.jpg

I  find O'Sullivans Beach excellent for many reasons and can launch at all tide times, but Garden Island is OK, just narrow lanes to back down and can get very busy, but the water is very sheltered, however the region is also shallow is spots.....but it's free :) Dont get too nervous about launch and retrieve, it's really very simple, just common sense...here's some advice..............

Tip, make yourself a basic list of procedures to follow so you forget nothing, it's easy to forget things when nervous and flustered, particularly if others are waiting to use the ramp.

LAUNCH............

1...check bung plugs are in place and secure

2... tilt motor up so it doesn't bottom out on the ramp or submerged obstacles when entering the water

3...Untie all tie down straps....but leave winch cable and/or safety chain attached so the boat wont accidentally slide off the trailer when backing down due to the slope of the ramp. { it does happen }

4...Attach a temp rope to a bow cleat, this will be to stop the boat drifting off when launched into the water, and will be the rope to do the first tie off to the wharf...needs to be approx 10 feet longer than trailer

5...Make sure you have a shorter rope ready to tie off the stern when against the wharf.

6...Back down the ramp to submerge the boat to at least the rear roller { your boat should slide off the trailer pretty easy as it's not a heavy craft so should be no need to submerge deeper }

7...Handbrake on, car in gear or park....a wheel chock at this point is a good safeguard to place behind your vehicle wheel just in case sliding on slime is of concern { cars dont float very well :rolleyes:  }

8...Release the safety chain and/or winch cable....but hang onto or secure the temp bow rope so when the boat goes in the water it is restrained by the rope.

9...Now simply push boat off trailer, usually requires pushing a bit of up and down jiggle on the bow to get it started

10...Once off, walk the boat via the bow rope to a mooring cleat on the dock, securing the bow and stern with a shorter rope.

11... Park trailer..........lower boat motor....start motor...check the motor telltale to make sure it's pumping water, if not turn it off immediately .....now go zooooom zoooom zooooooooom :lol::boat:

RETRIEVE........

Pretty much a reversal of launch procedure, unwind winch cable,  back the trailer into the water,  so approx 1/3 is submerged or at least so the rear roller is submerged { depending on trailer design } If you dont back in deep enough it will be harder to winch boat up, if not impossible. If you back in too deep the boat may float around quite a bit on the trailer and you may find it hard to keep it straight while winching. Use a wheel chock again if slipping backwards is of concern.

1...Tilt up the motor.... Untie boat from dock, use the temp bow rope to guide it to the back trailer roller, hopefully you can slide/drag the bow onto at least the rear roller

2...Clip on winch cable to bow hook

3...make sure boat is straight and aligned with rollers and bunks

4...Start winching keeping boat straight { sometimes another person can help do this while you crank away }

5...Once cranked up to the winch post secure boat with safety chain and now you can remove the temp bow rope.

6...That's it, just drive off and secure boat for the road

Cheers mate exactly the reply I was hoping for :)

I'm confident in it all but in the same breath very open to making sure the i's and t's are crossed so to speak.

Ill head down this weekend to the Outer Harbour ramp for a look at others after I do my license/course this Saturday....its held at West Adelaide F/C.

Oh also where is the best place to earth my battery out for my bilge pump?

great post col ;) yes have ya check list mate i still have a routine i go through after 30 years of boating ;)

garden island or outer harbor are both in protected waters mate..sounds like ur sensible and aint gonna go 10kms off shore in a inshore boat ;)

plenty on offer in the port or barkers inlet st kilda ect garfish tommys salmon trought crabs mullys ect the list goes on

always re-check the weather report before u leave home and keep in mind the weatherman gets it wrong too ;)

stay safe and have fun i love being on the water its so relaxing and great theropy..Tightlines.. ;)B)

Thanks hoopsy

Its my lads 13th birthday in March so I have got the boat etc all organised so that morning I can suprise wake his lazy arse up at 5AM(nah he's pretty good :P ) and tell him to get dressed son where going fishing.....then he will see the boat and hopefully a smile from ear to ear as he will expect its going to be land based.....he loves his fishing and has wanted me to get a boat for a while.

If all goes to plan this time next year Ill have a nice 15ft+ half cab to comfortably house the whole family when heading out I have a 5 year old boy also plus the missus obviously.

This boat wont go any further than a few kms out even though its been allot further Im told by previous owner.

As mentioned Garden Island is a good ramp and free, OH ramp is much steeper and had a few sizeable holes when I last used it, but it is free, Snowdens a good ramp but has a fee ($7 I think). All these places have a bad rap for cars being broken into while you're out fishing. You can launch from the beach at Snowdens for free from the boat club ramps, but you will need to drive on the beach at certain times of the tide. If you find you like beach launching then Largs yacht club is a good spot, also free.

Good luck and have a good time. :)

I'm confident in it all but in the same breath very open to making sure the i's and t's are crossed so to speak.

hope your only crossing the "t's" and not your "i's"  :lol: makes it hard to see straight

I have some spots out from Nth Haven I can share. Not too far from the break walls for Squid, crabs and the odd KGW to help get your kids hooked.

hope your only crossing the "t's" and not your "i's"  :lol: makes it hard to see straight

I have some spots out from Nth Haven I can share. Not too far from the break walls for Squid, crabs and the odd KGW to help get your kids hooked.

Lol yep as straight as a dogs back leg :)

We would really appreciate that would I require a GPS or are we talking landmarks for a rough location?

I think Ill invest in a sounder/GPS shortly I don't think the first few trips will have one though.

We would really appreciate that would I require a GPS or are we talking landmarks for a rough location?

I think Ill invest in a sounder/GPS shortly I don't think the first few trips will have one though.

I have a hand held GPS (with marks) that you can use till you decide what you want to buy. 

I have a hand held GPS (with marks) that you can use till you decide what you want to buy. 

That's very generous of you cheers :worthy:  :boat:

After seeing how much some are maybe I can get one sooner....what's a good entry level device that will see me out with this boat?

Hey Cranky243, just make sure no one helps you as you go through your check list as that's how things get stuffed up. I've seen boats end up on the ramp because somebody helped. Happy & safe sailing

Thanks Squid Inc that reminds me I need to make some easy to see labels/stickers on my console of what expires when and what needs doing when etc.