The Life Straw, Essential Part Of My River Fishing.

I'm not one for carrying backpacks or drink bottles when river fishing as I like to fish as light as possible. This small item is an essential part of my river fishing.. it's called the Life Straw.

Here's what I carry with me at all times when trout fishing the rivers since suffering a severe stomach & bowel infection from drinking the water direct from the rivers here in Tassie..I finished up being on a special Government authorised script for two weeks. It's called a Life Straw and it's used in many countries around the world where the drinking water is polluted. It filters 99.99999% of bacteria etc out of the water as you suck the water up through it.. I've always drank the water straight out of the rivers when trout fishing until the day I became very ill. It hit me around 5 hours after getting home from the Leven River after a fishing session I had. I did as I normally did and that was to drink the water straight from the river not realising ( or even thinking) about the run off from the paddocks that had cattle in them. We had quite a bit of rain several days earlier and I didn't even give it a thought.. I do now and that's why I spent $28.00 on the Life Straw which I have used for nearly two trout seasons now. It can filter 1000 litres of water so it's will last me quite a few seasons yet..

cheers

Adrian

Life straw.. (Medium).JPG

very interesting , I wonder if it would work in all dirty water types or just maybe clear water supply ....??? I  once became very ill , in Queensland drinking water straight from a clear running creek , like yourself , I thought it was clean and never thought about it, until I was crook as , a week that I will not forget . handy little device .. :)

Can see that she didn't read the instructions as you're supposed to immerse the filter end in the water for around 10-20 seconds before sucking on it, and in that video clip with the amount of cow dung that went in it, well it only natural that it will clog up the filter and make it that much harder to suck water through it. If i came across a river that was as polluted as thick as that one there's no way I'd be in fishing it any way, though if I was in a predicament where that was the only way of getting fluid into the body i would use the life straw in it.  

Now if only they could come up with a cost effective one to use on seawater, that would be a great seller

I don't think you could keep that one on the shelves. It would be in every emergency/first aid kit on every boat. You name it. 

Yeah, dead right, imagine the billions of dollars you would make if you were to invent such a thing