Hoop Net Regulations

This has me puzzled, I understand there is a regulation size for hoop nets, that being no more than 107cm wide and no more than 92 cm drop, but is there a regulation mesh size as well...I cant find any info on it.

Reason I ask is I bought 3 Hoop nets used for the first time today, large mesh size and the Crabs seem to tangle in it too easily.They are already falling apart with the net segments breaking,  fraying or unraveling. I have some extra strong Cargo net home which I was thinking about using to replace the sloppy netting that's on the shop bought ones, retaining the actual metal rings/hoops. The Cargo net I have is about 1 inch mesh and very strong, I intended to put chicken wire on the bottom hoop for extra strength and weight.

But is the cargo net mesh size illegal to use ?

I don't think mesh size matter. Only mentions hoop size and net depth. It doesn't mention anything about the material the mesh is made from

http://pir.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/92337/Crab_Fishing_in_South_Australia_Recreational_Fishing_Guide_2015.PDF

That's the way it reads to me as well, I have 3 shop bought nets ...2 are large mesh size, about 3inches, and 1 is about 1inch size mesh, so yeah maybe it doesn't matter

I actually rang fisheries on this as a mate told me my yabbie nets made of Hessian were illegal.

They told me mesh size is not a factor just opening sizes and overall sizes .

The rules are often by no means clear is my finding...the Fisheries/PIRSA need to simplify/streamline some of the bulldust they

as said mesh size doesnt matter mate

a big tip tho if a crab thinks hes free he will let go and try get out so when getting them out grab bottom and top and empty like ur holding a bucket and most times they go straight into the bucket same as undersize 1s dangle upside down over the side and  they will let go ;)

Cheers mate, going to reline the nets I bought with some HD cargo net of 1inch mesh to make it even simpler. Yes generally the crabs will let go when inverted in the net, but just as often the buggas twist and turn and completely enmesh themselves in the bigger mesh size such as I bought.

Glad there is a hoop size not a "Hoopsy" size limit  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

sorry, had to do it 

ooooooo....might leave that one alone...he's bigger and meaner looking than I am hehehe

preach