SAFFA Clarification..

A recent fishing trip put me in the path of a pretty hostile landowner. Knocked on his door to ask him if I could access spot X from his property. He comes out of his house so quick I had to take a few steps back. I started to explain that that I was hoping to go for a fish but before I could even introduce myself or get a friendly conversation going he interrupted me and asked if I was a member of SAFFA. I'm not so I said no. Turns out that was the wrong thing to say. He then asked me what I was doing here..I replied 'hoping' to go for a fish. Next thing I know he has launched into this whole talk about how he has a 'moral' obligation to SAFFA to not allow non-members access. Apparently I was the first non-member to come buy in 8 years and ask to fish spot X;and he has been asked by SAFFA to  not allow anyone but members access to spot X. I politely listened....asked if he could make an exception. He started with the whole moral obligation lecture thing again so I just nodded while walking away saying thanks anyway. Half way back to my bike he tauntingly says 'yeah sorry mate'. 

...after a 200 km ride that day and fishing another spot with no success I felt like just cracking the throttle and ripping/dusting up his driveway.'yeah sorry mate'. Not to mention it was a SAFFA member who keyed me up on the spot to go and check out in the first place. Anyways..

All said and done I was able to have a fish, albeit from a real long trek into another location. So all was good at the end of the day.

BUT..in terms of clarification. 

Am I right in thinking that SAFFA stocks water for ALL to enjoy; you don't need to be a club member to go fishing? (with the exception of their leased land etc.)

And technically speaking, while it is ultimately up to the discretion of the landowner who they allow on their property...this whole "moral obligation and denying non-associated members fishing access" talk is just a load of BS and probably never materialized under SAFFA directive? 

Hmmmmm, if I'm not mistaken there was a report that came out years ago that essentially shut down legal trout stocking in all but a couple of creeks/rivers. I think the Broughton and maybe the light are still stocked? Can anyone confirm?

It me it sounds as if SAFFA have struck up a deal with the bloke to stock the stretch of river/creek with trout in return for allowing them to fish it. Who knows, maybe some money changed hands. They just say that they'd prefer only club members fish the river and thus he only lets them in?

Really wouldn't suprise me, ultimately its his choice who he has in his property regardless.

Is the spot a dam or creek?

Do you mean safwaa?

It is a dam and you actually mean safwaa then you are mistaken about it being stocked for all.

Safwaa has dams all over the state that they look after and stock with agreements with the owners and yes they are for club members only and the member that told you how to get there has broken the rules of being a member (I think, I'm not a member)

No it wasn't a dam, a nice little stream.  Certainly not a Safwaa property. I completely understand that side of things though. I'm not a member either but certainly makes sense for private dams to limit access. 

From what I gather though essentially all streams/rivers are crown land up to the high water mark excluding periods of flood. So essentially you just can't cross private land to get to it but you can stand in it and on the bank and fish without  trespassing if you gain access elsewhere. My thought process is that if your going to stock crown land then all can technically fish it. 

I'm not sure if I'm right though about the whole crown land thing. going to have to do some research. lol 

Might have hit the nail on the head there.  I'm starting to think I just caught the guy on a bad day. All seems a bit political and elitist though if you ask me. Recommending that only members be allowed to fish etc..is exactly the reason why I go fishing. To get away from all the bs. hahaha

I think if I was paying membership to cover costs of restocking streams etc I'd be hesitant to allow just anybody to have a free lunch so to speak. Problem being with allowing just anybody and everybody fish these selective areas it would get crowded and overfished very quickly, and likely destroyed. Imagine what it would be like if you paid yearly membership and rolled up to find a crowd of people all splashing around in one spot , raping the stream/dam, leaving litter behind, leaving farm gates open, disturbing grazing stock, vandalism  etc etc etc because there were no restrictions or security in place. Most people would do the right thing I'm sure, but the redneck element is out there, we see it on a regular basis everywhere. Sadly in life it is, and always will be a minority who will spoil it for the majority....friggin' human nature. If I were a farmer/landholder I would not be happy having just anybody at any time trudging across my property, disturbing my privacy, no more so that I like sales persons, or religious peddlars crossing my yard knocking on my door. { Door to door peddlars of anything get a very hostile reception and abuse from me when they disturb my privacy }

Simple solution, become a member if you want to fish those special waters, or fish with the multitude in non restricted areas and take your chances, and likely be even more disappointed. :)

he is right in what hes saying mate (besides the attitude) safwaa members pay too fish and stock these places if u would like to become a member see Rob (B Crusher) at the Dorsal Fin he has the register forms there if ur into fresh water fishing well worth it imo ..there are strict rules that u MUST obey but plenty of fish on offer too ..go see Rob at the DF he will fill u in on everythink u need too know and has the forms at the shop too register mate ;)

I think if I was paying membership to cover costs of restocking streams etc I'd be hesitant to allow just anybody to have a free lunch so to speak. Problem being with allowing just anybody and everybody fish these selective areas it would get crowded and overfished very quickly, and likely destroyed. Imagine what it would be like if you paid yearly membership and rolled up to find a crowd of people all splashing around in one spot , raping the stream/dam, leaving litter behind, leaving farm gates open, disturbing grazing stock, vandalism  etc etc etc because there were no restrictions or security in place. Most people would do the right thing I'm sure, but the redneck element is out there, we see it on a regular basis everywhere. Sadly in life it is, and always will be a minority who will spoil it for the majority....friggin' human nature. If I were a farmer/landholder I would not be happy having just anybody at any time trudging across my property, disturbing my privacy, no more so that I like sales persons, or religious peddlars crossing my yard knocking on my door. { Door to door peddlars of anything get a very hostile reception and abuse from me when they disturb my privacy }

Simple solution, become a member if you want to fish those special waters, or fish with the multitude in non restricted areas and take your chances, and likely be even more disappointed. :)

Makes total sense. In terms of SAFFA I know they stock the Broughton for example and promote it as a tourist/fishing location for all people to enjoy. It's no secret that a local guy up there allows people access to the river. Just figured it would be the same in all naturally occurring river/streams that are stocked. I'm pretty sure after they stock a naturally occurring river/stream they don't technically own those fish regardless of membership or anything else.  Short of tagging or genetic testing you just can't prove that fish is stocked or naturally spawned in any event. And if that fish goes upstream or downstream to another property who owns it then?  Although I can see arguments both ways.

In short though completely up to the property owner to deny anyone access across his land to the water. I was just put off by the way he was talking about it. Sounded to me like he thought he owned the actual water and fish etc. I've heard talk of certain land titles being that restrictive etc. so who knows. But I'm not about to march down to the land titles office and figure it out haha. 

Completely agree with you on the point of the few spoiling it for the many. Happens to often. May have previously happened hence the attitude. 

By the sounds of it though..if you can't beat them..join them. Might be an option to consider now. 

Quote..........." And if that fish goes upstream or downstream to another property who owns it then ".....not so much a matter of who owns it then, but who owns the land to gain access to the fish wherever they are. If nobody owns the land where the fish travel to then it's open season. But I feel a little for farmers who own property and dont wish to allow just anybody trudging across their land, no more so than I like people entering my property without prior arrangement.

I have met a few Saffa Members and they are a big bunch of Tools. The membership fees and the Trouble you have to go through to become a member are ridiculous.... 

As for there stocking and the like of Entering properties and that. We have a stretch of water That SaFFA actually stock and we simply asked the land owner to fish it and he didn't mind so long as we rang him. I think it's pot luck on who the people are. Some care some don't.

I am lucky as I know Quiet a few spots (down south) where Saffa Stock and use there creeks and streams through peoples property. What I usually do is during winter fish the "crown" land areas above and below the stocking Areas as trout move in accordance of water levels and if there is food or not. 

IF you want to find more trout spots mate, try find a PDF document on Google. IT had all the stocking and findings of trout in certain streams and the likes. For the life of me I cant find it anywhere, IT was very useful when i started trout fishing 5-6 years ago.

Quote..........." And if that fish goes upstream or downstream to another property who owns it then ".....not so much a matter of who owns it then, but who owns the land to gain access to the fish wherever they are. If nobody owns the land where the fish travel to then it's open season. But I feel a little for farmers who own property and dont wish to allow just anybody trudging across their land, no more so than I like people entering my property without prior arrangement.

Makes total sense. If I owned a nice spot of land I would appreciate people staying off of it without permission. 

I guess my main concern was I didn't like how I was spoken to and how it was suggested that the fish were owned by SAFFA.

When I find some time I might do some research on riparian rights in SA. Clearly I'm not up to speed on the actual practice. It is to my understanding though that unless by special agreement all naturally occurring rivers and streams are crown land therefore you can fish it if you can gain access. Sort of felt like I was being told that even so, that section of river/stream was off limits to me because of the absence of said SAFFA membership. Just didn't sit well with me. 

Google "Review of Trout Stocking in South Australia - Wayne Fulton 2004" - you should find a couple of links to a 5.48MB PDF document.

Cheers

af

I've been using this as the trout bible for a little bit. Very helpful to get the wheels turning. I think another one should be due out shortly will be an interesting read. :)

I have met a few Saffa Members and they are a big bunch of Tools. The membership fees and the Trouble you have to go through to become a member are ridiculous.... 

As for there stocking and the like of Entering properties and that. We have a stretch of water That SaFFA actually stock and we simply asked the land owner to fish it and he didn't mind so long as we rang him. I think it's pot luck on who the people are. Some care some don't.

I am lucky as I know Quiet a few spots (down south) where Saffa Stock and use there creeks and streams through peoples property. What I usually do is during winter fish the "crown" land areas above and below the stocking Areas as trout move in accordance of water levels and if there is food or not. 

IF you want to find more trout spots mate, try find a PDF document on Google. IT had all the stocking and findings of trout in certain streams and the likes. For the life of me I cant find it anywhere, IT was very useful when i started trout fishing 5-6 years ago.

I've met a few nice guys from SAFFA can't say anything bad about them at this stage. I think this particular property owner whether he was a member or not was just a tool. I have looked at the membership requirements and it does look pretty political. There are some spots that I fish at the moment that if I joined up technically as per their constitution I would not be able to fish unaccompanied. Whether or not that is strictly enforced..I don't know. But I would rather not give up a year fishing my usual spots to be chaperoned around. I fish solo most days..and occasionally with a mate at least when it comes to freshwater. Just don't know if it really suits me. 

How are your freshwater fishing endeavours going Berg? Found many places? Had much success?

Getting there slowly bud. Have come across a few nice spots. The quest is never over though. 

I had ideal fishing conditions the other day and not a bite. The time before that it was stinking hot and terrible fishing conditions and the fish were blowing up.  :huh:

Also snapped my rod tip the last time I was out so things will be a bit slow while I wait for a replacement to come in lol 

I actually have a few phone numbers up my sleeve to get access to a few properties and one of these have told me in person that the area was recently ish stocked by SAFFA . So there are areas out there still being stocked but to find out exactly where you would have to join and i have heard that even then it would take you a few years in the club to find out . Not sure if it is true but apparently there are also groups within SAFFA that stock seperatly , but if you know a few people within the club then you have probably got more insight than most and i would like to be clarified ? Good luck with your hunting anyway fella , hope you get onto a few .

I actually have a few phone numbers up my sleeve to get access to a few properties and one of these have told me in person that the area was recently ish stocked by SAFFA . So there are areas out there still being stocked but to find out exactly where you would have to join and i have heard that even then it would take you a few years in the club to find out . Not sure if it is true but apparently there are also groups within SAFFA that stock seperatly , but if you know a few people within the club then you have probably got more insight than most and i would like to be clarified ? Good luck with your hunting anyway fella , hope you get onto a few .

I have heard similar thoughts on the matter. Lots of secret stocking going on and tight lipped individuals. I'm sure there is some element of truth to it all. Hell, if I had a nice little rocky creek with some riffles and pools running through my land I would stock it up and keep it secret, keep it safe. A bit of research on SAFFA and word of mouth talk has given me a pretty good idea of the club. So far I have got on to some nice trout but there have been more days than not of creek/stream scoping and door knocking. Only so many hours in a day before you have to pack it. Has been fun though. I'm pretty keen to check out the Broughton in a few weeks time. Atleast there I know I can fish in peace without worrying about access and the lot. 

• 2 weeks later...

The fly club stock more streams and rivers than you think. some on stocking days (august/september) some by individuals of the club who are tight lipped. the land owners dont get paid any kind of monies from the club 90% of the time they dont let you on because of either rubbish left in the past, a threat to any form of livestock or if its some of the dams they dont want people tracking thru there properties to get to them. i personally know of 16 streams that hold trout and not all are club access only. TheBerg if you were down south i have a feeling i know the property owner and which stream you are talking about and dont worry he has been known to approach people with a shotty. basically from a landowners point of view its like someone walking in your back yard at your house looking to play ball with your dog. alot of fish are lure caught and do quite extensive damage to the fish with either swiped hookups on the eyes or jaws or inhaled trebles which harms the fish even if it looks like its been released well and with our climate if stocking stopped natural breeding is a lot harder if they are stressed from the aforementioned. these hard to access waters are usually fly only which alleviates alot of this damage to the fish. you will be surprised if you go to fly fishing instead of spin you will actually improve your quality of fish as the food source can be matched better with a fly for a feed rather than a lure for a defensive strike, well it did for me anyway. TheBerg if you do happen to find a good spot or are lucky enough to gain access to some private waters for your own sake and relationship with the owner DONT tell a sole or take anyone or it will be lost faster than it was gained.
happy travel
vas deferen B)

All my fishing is done on the fly. :) It gets pretty addictive once you start to get the ball rolling. I agree with you on your comments in regards to lure fishing but that being said I have nothing against those that like to fish that way. 

Given that trout fishing in SA is very limited and a very limited resource I do think it is important to fish in a way that is less harmful to trout or at least in a way that has the potential to do less harm to the fish. That being said, having the liberty to fish how you like is half the fun of fishing. In terms of harming the fish, fish handling techniques certainly need to be taught and passed on appropriately. I'm sure this is one of the biggest factors in fish fatalities in any species. Dragging them up on the bank, dropping them, holding them wrong etc. will kill a fish faster than a hook will (with the exception of a gut hook etc.). We all at some point have slipped up I'm sure. 

In regards to the fly club: 

It is a great thing what the club is able to achieve. A lot of time, effort and money goes into sustaining the trout population in SA so it is certainly reasonable for them to be selective and secretive to some degree. I think there is a mix of opinions within the club itself. Some are more open to the idea of an inclusive trout fishery and others  are a bit more conservative. My main issue is with landowners that are just jerks from the get go. If you knock on their door and ask, all they have to do is give you a polite 'no'. I'm not a fan of pointless speeches and BS drabble. Just be straight and extend the same courtesy I extended to you. Chances are we will run into each other again at some point. However, if your entering land without permission then by all means you can't complain about being approached with a shotty or catching a round of salt in the ass. 

Since my altercation with said landowner I've done a bit more research and had the pleasure of talking to a few members of the fly club. It seems to me that what I have described has been on ongoing issue for some time now. What it comes down to in SA is putting in the time, effort, a lot of door knocking, hand shaking, trial and error, making and maintaining connections and just doing the right thing by the fishery. If your doing that then eventually your going to get into some good fish and happy times. Putting in the groundwork is important.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

I reckon your bad experience comes more down to the landowner than a reflection of SAFFA. The club actually allow members to take guests on to properties, provided they fish with fly only and follow the rules. SAFFA is a group of guys who live and breathe their fly-fishing... Good for them IMHO, one person having a bad experience with a grouchy landowner isn't reason to bag an entire club who have done a huge amount for trout + flyfishing in this state. The reality is that catch + release trout require careful handling - this unfortunately isn't the case with many fishos. You're also right that lures can damage trout, regardless of the anglers best intentions. Seems fair enough that people are protective of their fisheries when these things are considered :rolleyes:

Even from the landowners perspective - people who have to deal with poachers have a short fuse when it comes to such things. Sounds like "a moral obligation to SAFFA" was his way of saying no. Forget about him and move onto the next property - happy fishing B)

I reckon your bad experience comes more down to the landowner than a reflection of SAFFA. The club actually allow members to take guests on to properties, provided they fish with fly only and follow the rules. SAFFA is a group of guys who live and breathe their fly-fishing... Good for them IMHO, one person having a bad experience with a grouchy landowner isn't reason to bag an entire club who have done a huge amount for trout + flyfishing in this state. The reality is that catch + release trout require careful handling - this unfortunately isn't the case with many fishos. You're also right that lures can damage trout, regardless of the anglers best intentions. Seems fair enough that people are protective of their fisheries when these things are considered :rolleyes:

Even from the landowners perspective - people who have to deal with poachers have a short fuse when it comes to such things. Sounds like "a moral obligation to SAFFA" was his way of saying no. Forget about him and move onto the next property - happy fishing B)

If you read my comments carefully I haven't actually bagged the fly fishing club. More to the point my comments were more directed at the land owner. As I said before, I have met a few members, I respect and GREATLY appreciate what they do for SA. What I wasn't happy about was doing the RIGHT thing by not encroaching on his land and ASKING first only to get turned away rudely. If it is any consolation apparently a few SAFFA members have butted heads with land owners regarding access to water they have been given permission to stock. Therefore it seems the situation has just not been confined to only my experience. 

Regardless it seems to be the luck of the draw on who's door you knock on. I suppose also I was a bit shocked given that I have never been turned down before by a land owner and generally form a pretty decent relationship with them. Afterthought on the matter and a bit of research has clarified my initial concerns. It seems I was struggling with reconciling a right to the fish with the right to access.  :lol: