Light tackle reel - What & why?

Need to replace the reel on my 1-3kg outfit.

The current Shimano Symetre FL 1000 is 'grabbing' somehow in the retrieve , making it near impossible to work the light lures. I have stripped & lubed twice now, inc bearings for it to return to the same condition after a couple of sessions. Too much time wasted!

Don't want to spend big $ as this is used 90% wading, where it undoubtedly gets splashed more than it should and i cant see a $200 reel being any better than $100 in this regard.

Im not 'brandist' but have generally been a Shimano man....dumb question :rolleyes: , what is the equivalent sized Daiwa to a Shimano 1000?

At this stage im leaning towards a  Sedona FD 1000 (have a 2500 for years which just wont die). With the new Sedona FE now out the remaining FDs are good value too ($54.95 from SneakyFisho)

Thoughts?

The old Sedonas were a nice reel for value. The new ones aren't too bad from what I've heard. Other nice reels around that mark are the current Daiwa Legalis 2014 model, ATC Valiant 

For what you're looking at, a Daiwa 2000, 2504, 2506 would be ideal as each size holds around 120m of PE1. 

http://daiwafishing.com.au/products/spinning-reel-spools-part-1/

You could try what I found has been a great reel Siena 1000. Cheaper $38-$59 depending where you buy. Best price was $38 at BCF sale. Had the reel for two years, it gets rinsed fresh and innox spray after each session and still reels like new.

For this price there is no need to really be concerned about knocks and bumps so more focus can be on fishing and I am sure most fisho's that use or have owned one would agree they are worth it and would likely be on par with most other spin reels under $100 or more.

Hi mate, I use a 1000 Symetre and a 1000 Sienna on my Bream/Flathead/Whatever set ups and love them both. I've had a Sedonna FD(?) 1500 for donkeys years and it's still going strong. For what you want, reliability, and the price I'd recommend any of these. Can't comment on any other brands as I don't use them and sounds like you know about these reels anyway. If you somehow manage to kill a Sienna it doesn't cost much to replace it. ;)

Bought a Symetre 1000FL last night, using the "spend $100 get $20 off" deal from a certain retail chain. Now will have at 2 spools if i cant get the older reel running satisfactorily.

Im actually really surprised with the comments been said about the siennas.

My personal experience with them has been nothing but bad.

Drag clickers breaking drag not working. Not smooth. Feel cheap etc.

Guess bad luck on my part i guess

Had the drag clicker brake on a 2500, as this was not replaceable, meant a new spool - or reel in this case given the negligible price difference! Replaced with a Sedona, which i then fell on and broke. Good thing these spools were interchangeable so the Sienna is still going strong, just with the Sedona spool!

• 3 weeks later...

My sienna 2500 was a great reel for a few years of abuse. However after a few saltwater dunking's it has a sticky drag and even worse, a sticky retrieve where I struggle to turn the handle sometimes. Even after a couple of rebuilds. Still for the price I don't really care, I can always buy another at the price they go for every couple of years and still be less than most other reels of that quality.

The Exage RC with fighting drag comes in a 1000 size which is what I was using for my light work. Bit more expensive but has been a great little reel. Just started to get some lumpyness on the drag and the service noted the felt washers are a bit thin now but has really performed well and came with a spare spool. Caught some great fish on it up to a 5kg eagle ray and bigger that took it screaming into the distance before busting them off. Why I keep getting big rays on tiny bits of squid I don't know. Being able to manipulate the drag with the lever at the back has been useful but not really a must-have feature. Generally I use it to back the drag off enough to pull line through without having to flip the bail or backwind.

I rate daiwa for the salt! ESP the newer ones with mag seal grease (magnetic grease)

They are pricey, but IMO, well worth it! My old luvias had the mag seal, but my 2 sols didn't, and they were really worn till I recently replaced them!

But still put in a great innings after lasting me a good 14 years!

My luvias was the same age, and never serviced, but was still smooth as silk, and dead quiet!

Pity I stood on it!

Very happy with my new luvias and my caldia!!

Jap model daiwa's are the best IMO... Come with all the high performance bearings and long cast spools.

The new luvias has a very fine drag settings!! (You can give it a good turn for very little increase in pressure) ideal for light lines!

Smooth and quiet!

The reals with more drag pressure are much easier to make one click too many and cost you a good fish, with the radiculous amounts of drag pressure they put out!! Seems Really pointless having a 2000 model with more than 3-4 kgs of drag to me!

Unless you're fishing for Barra I guess...

Arid would be the best value for money! But personally, I don't like the spool shape for distance..

But very handy being able to upsize reels by simply changing you're spool size with them!

Got a shimmano symetre also that I won, and very happy with that, but time will tell how long it lasts in the salt...

Not a fan of the plastic rotor it has... Hasn't let me down, but I just don't trust plastic parts!

Too many bad experiences in the past buying reels that weren't all metal parts!

1 word of advice if you have a daiwa... Don't spray any aerosol lubes on them!!

Just strips the magnetic grease of them.

In fact any reel!

It helps when they're seized up... But really grease is the way to go!

I was given a can of inox free with my sols, and they were never the same after that!

They still lasted, but always ran slightly rough, and got noisier as the years passed, until the sound of winding was louder than the drags...

But they did get a lot of abuse in there time with me :) plenty big carp, bream, schoolies, snapped and eagle Ray's...

Not at all what 2000 size models are designed to do battle with :) :)