KATO fishing vest absolutely stinks!!!

Recently I purchased a KATO fishing vest as my other one was getting pretty worn out. 

For starters it is a great vest in terms of storage and pockets and weight. Construction wise it is well put together and a happy addition to my fishing gear. 

However..this vest after a few days fishing absolutely STINKS! It seems the material it is made of just isn't up to the job of being breathable or whatever. My last vest didn't smell this bad ever even after a week camping out. Usually my gear gets a good rinse with the hose after every outing but this vest needs a serious soak after every trip. Slightly annoying as I have to unpack it and repack when it is dry. 

As per the label this vest is Kayak Fishing Vest so I would hate to get a wiff of it after kayaking around. I just use it for  walking around streams and creeks and that is bad enough. AND yes I do shower hahahaha. 

Anybody else experience the same thing with this product? I'm seriously considering purchasing a new vest at the moment.  :P

I bought a tailor made fishing vest last time is was in Thailand,for $30 Australian.

All the bells and whistles,more pockets and whatever you can poke a stick at.......it's made of a light weight sort of canvas that breathes really well,and is pretty cooling while walking the flats chasing whiting.

The Thai tailor ( wow,try saying that 10 times really quickly lol ) made them for the bass fisho's on the US tournament scene,and when they were fully embroidered with sponsor logo's etc he was getting $200 US for them!

Since my wife and eldest daughter had some business suits made by him,I tried to "convince him" to sell me a US one for a good price,but he wouldn't come to the party.............

It's unfortunate that a new product should be giving you so much grief already, TheBerg...

However, if you wish to persist with it, try a product called "nilodor" (available in most large supermarkets). If THIS doesn't kill the smell, then you really should consider purchasing another brand of vest...

Cheers

af

It's unfortunate that a new product should be giving you so much grief already, TheBerg...

However, if you wish to persist with it, try a product called "nilodor" (available in most large supermarkets). If THIS doesn't kill the smell, then you really should consider purchasing another brand of vest...

Cheers

af

Might have to give this product a go. 

I'm starting to think this is one of the reasons the vest may have been on sale. Thought it was a bargain at the time haha. 

I bought a tailor made fishing vest last time is was in Thailand,for $30 Australian.

All the bells and whistles,more pockets and whatever you can poke a stick at.......it's made of a light weight sort of canvas that breathes really well,and is pretty cooling while walking the flats chasing whiting.

The Thai tailor ( wow,try saying that 10 times really quickly lol ) made them for the bass fisho's on the US tournament scene,and when they were fully embroidered with sponsor logo's etc he was getting $200 US for them!

Since my wife and eldest daughter had some business suits made by him,I tried to "convince him" to sell me a US one for a good price,but he wouldn't come to the party.............

I've had a few suits made from various parts of Asia. Quality was pretty good depending on how much I decided to shell out for it. 

Next time I'm back in Asia I might consider having one made. After all the ones in the shops come from the same places. :P

I have a Precision Pak vest and love it.

Will never need to wash it and if I do I will just hose it down and hang it in the sun.

Got a Cranka Crab that escaped from its packaging and settled in nicely in one of the pockets.....gonna need some surgery to get that little bugger free.

Other than that, cannot fault it....well ventilated, easy to use and so far only smells like aniseed...I have had it for two years or more and use it very often.

Cost about 100 bucks from St Kilda Tackle and Tucker.

Worth checking out.

I have a Precision Pak vest and love it.

Will never need to wash it and if I do I will just hose it down and hang it in the sun.

Got a Cranka Crab that escaped from its packaging and settled in nicely in one of the pockets.....gonna need some surgery to get that little bugger free.

Other than that, cannot fault it....well ventilated, easy to use and so far only smells like aniseed...I have had it for two years or more and use it very often.

Cost about 100 bucks from St Kilda Tackle and Tucker.

Worth checking out.

You gonna model that one for us Tinks?