Fishery staff need to catch up on rules.

Whilst down on the Port Noarlunga jetty this morning, Fisheries made a visit about 8ish.

People at the end of the jetty, but within the legal fishing area, were fishing and crabbing.

Fisheries had a brief chat to them before moving on.

Later I went up to them just to mention that crabbing was not allowed on the jetty as it classed as an aquatic reserve.

They advised that the Fishery guys did not know if they could use crab nets or not, so let them be.

I advised they need to check the PIRSA site to confirm what I said and they were all fine with what I said, but as Fisheries didn't give them a definite answer they would keep crabbing.

I accept that the signage at the beginning of the jetty is not very informative about the rules and the signs towards the end of the jetty are a bit confusing, but hell, should Fisheries know the rulles - especially for th is on non crabbing jetty.

Rant finished!

Wow, that's not very reassuring. Was it Fishwatch volunteers or actual fisheries officers?

That I don't know Plankton.

Maybe actual staff - only on the thought that volunteers may work in their area of living and would/should know the rules - but really don't know.

So the fisho's that were crabbing today,come back next time for a few crabs,get busted and try and tell inspectors it was "ok last time".......well,they don't have a leg to stand on!

I guess it's a case of the signage needed to be improved for the reserve,but then again the fisho's need to take it upon themselves to know the rules surely?.........ignorance is no excuse

the no crabbing sign at the start of the jetty isn't there anymore. it only says no crabbing and fishing after the yellow line at the end of the jetty. apparently even having a crab net on jetty is illegal as its classed as intent to use as one of the local jetty jumpers informed me on monday. he also said i should read the rules before fishing there i then commented that jetty jumping is banned and theres a sign saying so he then went on to say my crab net which hadn't even left my fishing trolley was hurting the fish etc he was about as bright as a spud in a sack of onions. p.s only had the net to land any big fish or squid but no big fish were caught.

So the fisho's that were crabbing today,come back next time for a few crabs,get busted and try and tell inspectors it was "ok last time".......well,they don't have a leg to stand on!

I guess it's a case of the signage needed to be improved for the reserve,but then again the fisho's need to take it upon themselves to know the rules surely?.........ignorance is no excuse

Totally agree and the signage is non existent about fishing/crabbing and only mentions about the aquatic reserve and it's purpose etc.  The yellow line towards the end of the jetty is completely worn off between the the 2 signs for no fishing/crabbing.

For say non locals visiting the jetty for the first time would not be aware about no crabbing at the start of the jetty.  They walk towards the end and see a sign No fishing/crabbing past these signs, so presume it is ok before the signs - so this does not help the cause.

The PIRSA pdf states "Prohibited Activities Bait digging, spear fishing, line fishing within 25m of the reef or within 50m of the end of the jetty or collecting or removing any other marine organisms is prohibited."  If fishers did take the time to read this part, to them they would think "it doesn't say anything about crabbing, so ok". (not knowing 'other marine organisms' are crabs etc.

There needs to be a "fishing for Dummies" on the PIRSA site :) but seriously, it needs to be a little more descriptive etc. and jetty certainly needs to be updated with signs at the start of the jetty (and renewed yellow paint !).

apparently even having a crab net on jetty is illegal as its classed as intent to use as one of the local jetty jumpers informed me on monday. he also said i should read the rules before fishing there i then commented that jetty jumping is banned and theres a sign saying so he then went on to say my crab net which hadn't even left my fishing trolley was hurting the fish etc he was about as bright as a spud in a sack of onions. p.s only had the net to land any big fish or squid but no big fish were caught.

haha "Bright as a spud in a sack of onions" :)  I think you're being kind to him :)

I don't think having the crab yet with you is illegal because of "intent" as the same could said with having 5 rods with you that you "intend" to put all 5 lines in the water.

I saw someone help another guy pull up a squid last Monday using crab yet due to squid size - not a problem doing that.

There used to be a warning painted on the ground as you walked onto the jetty about no crabbing allowed, but it's been years since it was legible and I'm not even sure it's still there. If the government wants people to understand and follow the rules then regulations need to be clearly and simply stated with prominent signage. And people representing PIRSA need to know the regs with complete accuracy. :rolleyes:

Use of crab nets purely to assist hauling up a large fish or squid potentially generates a bit of a grey area at Noarlunga.
The Regs state

fishing activity or fishing means the act of taking an aquatic resource, or an act preparatory to, or involved in, the taking of an aquatic resource;

thus it could be technically argued that a crab net lift is part of the act of fishing, and as Noarlunga jetty is "line fishing" only, any use (as opposed to possession!?) of crab nets is illegal there.

The pdf itself is a little confusing.
On the one hand the text refers to "line fishing" in Permitted Activities - fair enough.
However - the map diagram light green area (jetty slot cutout) states "No fishing other than from the jetty or the beach" - the obvious intent being no boat fishing (one would presume...), but not precluding crab nets on the jetty by inference...because...it is the large medium green area which states "Line fishing only".
Which could "make sense" to some as an elaboration on the generic statement regarding line fishing in the main text.

Confusing, much?
:(

10._AqResWeb.pdf

An instance where Regs (from the Aquatic Reserves instrument) make for simpler reading than public information brochures...
Doesn`t get much clearer than this;

5—Authorised fishing activities in aquatic reserves

(1) For the purposes of section 76 of the Act, a person may engage in a fishing activity in an aquatic reserve as follows:

(d) Port Noarlunga Reef Aquatic Reserve—taking fish by using a hand line or rod and line, but not—

(i) from within 25 metres of any part that becomes exposed at low water of Horseshoe Reef, the northern Port Noarlunga Reef or the southern Port Noarlunga Reef; or

(ii) from the last 50 metres of the western end of the Port Noarlunga Jetty; or

(iii) from a boat within Port Noarlunga Reef Boat Fishing Exclusion Zone;

And here`s a potential curveball from the Evidentiary Provisions of the Fisheries Act regarding bringing a crab net onto Noarlunga jetty?

(7) In proceedings for an offence against this Act, if it is proved that on a particular day in proximity to waters to which this Act applies, or an area of such waters specified in the complaint, a person had in his or her possession or control a device that is prohibited under this Act or the use of which is prohibited in such waters or area of waters, it will be presumed, in the absence of proof to the contrary, that the person had used that device for the purpose of taking aquatic resources in such waters or area of waters on that day.

Wow, that is a curveball.

And again, this information is hard to find for the normal people, so new signage definitely needs placing at the start of the jetty, as who would of thought just taking a crab net onto the jetty could have someone faced with a fine.

Good info kon.

The average person does not get to read this mumbo jumbo let alone understand it.....it seems that as with most government departments the only qualification needed to get a job is to be nothing more than a " Spin Doctor "

On another note....are there any worthwhile crabs to be caught off the Noarlunga jetty ?

The average person does not get to read this mumbo jumbo let alone understand it.....it seems that as with most government departments the only qualification needed to get a job is to be nothing more than a " Spin Doctor "

On another note....are there any worthwhile crabs to be caught off the Noarlunga jetty ?

Not many, if any, Bluey's - just sand crabs (and not worth the trouble).