Good Whiting Boat Rod

I'll be heading back to SA soon and don't have a dedicated KGW rod. I use all sorts of stuff for whiting but nothing dedicated. Best so far is a 3000 sized shimano stradic on a 7 ft pflueger trion 3-6 kg rod. The rod is really good, when the fish are not on the bite it will load up nicely not pulling the bait from their mouths. I have found some rods, like my wilson and rapala all graphite 2-4 kg rods, just want to spring back really quickly with a light load on them. I can imagine the whiting just mouthing the bait with slight pressure and then having ripped out of their mouths, if that makes any sense. The pflueger is just too long for a boat rod at 7 ft. Would prefer 6 - 6 1/12 in the boat.

Any recommendations?

I had a Silstar Crystal tip that was 6 foot 6 and rated 3 to 5 kg for years..........that was a great rod that was very light in the tip and good low down grunt..........I used it land based for bream and salmon trout mainly.........father-in-law uses it now for exactly what you want it for!

I'd reckon you'd still get them,or similar.........cheap and cheerful too.

Good luck with your search

Lots of choices out there with different budget ranges. Kg killa are a great rod for around $90.00. Saltiga bay jigger to the other $$$$$ extreme. The bay jigger style of rods are great to put in a rod holder too with their longer butt.If chasing a more deeper bottom bashing whiting rod just up size slightly with a size bigger. I run a saltiga 62s for this kind of thing. Very versatile rod too. Cheers

as much as i love all the tackle i have and constantly look at new outfits i cant go past a combo that's worked for me and a few mates fro years  not just for kgs but very effective on them for me in the boat and Evan some of the jetties...

the cheep old Jarvis walker or pflugger nimble/nibble tips, were around 25-30 bucks at the big stores.....

power in the butt and load up all 7 through 9 ft of em, great for braid and the very touchy fish wont feel a thing till you hit em....

1500-2500 reel with 6lb braid, sweet!

yeh i own and use much better (read more expensive) gear but you cant go wrong especially in shallow water.