Waders - what are you wearing?

Looking at a long overdue upgrade of the old Horne waders to something lighter, more breathable and comfortable to hit the beaches this winter chasing salmon on lures. I'm thinking neoprene waist high pants and water proof boots with mobility in mind and interested to hear what you are using that keeps you dry and warm and doesn't feel like your in a sack race at a school sports carnival.

I brought mine with me from the US. They're LL Bean breathable waders with the stocking foot, so you need wading boots as well. Back there we fished from the rocks mostly, so proper lace up boots were much safer and comfortable. I know many people prefer boot foot waders on the sand, but I have to say that the stocking foot/lace up boot system is very comfortable if you want/need to walk a bit. The lightweight breathable waders are awesome too, not sure what's available around here, but if you can find some I highly recommend them.

I always thought about getting wading pants and boots that you see guys use in trout streams...

But dont know how it would actually work.

I hate the feeling of wearing full length waders as you mentioned for comfort and movibility, as well as the fact they are dangerous if you get caught up in the swell or fall over.

I just bought some thigh waders for me trout stalking this winter. They look like they have plenty of freedom to walk around with but fairly high up to cover most areas getting wet.

Is that the Mojiko's or similar? I notice anaconda has the neoprene 1/2 price a couple of times a year but they never have the right size and when I've asked I get told sorry can't order them in they are a run out item....

I think I started a similar thread last winter but never bought anything so this has re kindled my interest....had enough of freezing in the water and shaking, looks a bit dodgy.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Southie, I'm heading down a similar path but thinking hipster type (not trendy beards and boutique beer). Something with a built in boot. Fly N Dry in Tassie do one, bit expensive but would be a good option for a long session with lots of walking. One wave over the top of thigh length waders and its game over, back to the car and down to the pub, though not a bad back up plan!

Keep the suggestions coming, there's sure to be an ideal setup someone's using.

Is that the Mojiko's or similar? I notice anaconda has the neoprene 1/2 price a couple of times a year but they never have the right size and when I've asked I get told sorry can't order them in they are a run out item....

I think I started a similar thread last winter but never bought anything so this has re kindled my interest....had enough of freezing in the water and shaking, looks a bit dodgy.

The Mojiko neoprene waders are good for the price. I had mine for 3 years. I used mine for everything going through blackberry bushes trouting, rock hopping sliding etc. After 3 years the rough trout trekking got the better of them. Tore a hole just above the thigh. So being h

The ideas man i am i cut below the hole and turned them into thigh waders. Lasted another 2 years.

So for the price they are pretty good for what they are. They are warm and fairly snug. The only downside is movibility i like to be able to walk freely.

Fairly sure got my last pair as a present from the kids but pretty sure wife got them from bcf for $30 or $40

By memory I think they are Shakespeare

On a slightly different route I'm struggling to find kids waders.

My kids love fishing the flats with me but winter is too cold for them to wear shoes and shorts

Don't really want them to have the standard style as I'd be worried if they fall over

Can you get the neoprene type in kids sizes?

I've got vision ikon breathable waders. Got them when I was fly fishing in Helsinki and love them. Feels just like wearing clothes and can layer what I've got under them for the temperature I expect. Don't think I could go to anything but breathable now because of the comfort and flexibility factor. Price is a bit of an issue though, waders and boots set me back about $500 off. Looking at getting some new lightweight shoes now for boating and kayaking which will be easier to swim in if I tip over and won't scratch the deck like my studded rock hopping boots would. The other big advantage with breathable, a lot safer if you wind up swimming in them!

Simms Freestone. 

Light weight. Breathable. Neoprene boot so you need to pick up a wading boot. Much prefer this option as the external boot provides a lot more support then a build in rubber one. 

Works well for when it gets a bit colder. Keeps you dry even if your not wading out ie. pushing through wet foliage etc.  No need for them in the summer at all. 

Not to mention they are pretty tough. 

I hate wearing waders and avoid them for as long into the cooler weather as i can! I don't care about being dry as long as i'm not cold. Give me some neoprene booties/shorts/thermals/fleece jumper/beanie/waterproof jacket for the surf stuff.

Otherwise, if i had a 12mm 'long john' wettie and i'd be laughing! I love the freedom afforded by a wetsuit. You never get 'swamped', as you can swim anytime you get a bit over zealous. However it's the ability to take a wizz whenever that is sooooo convenient!

My fist pair were a cheapish pair of Shakespear's that lasted much longer than i thought they would (5ish years). I patched 1 hole and then a increasing number of pin prick holes eventually made them unusable.I replaced these with a pair of 'El cheapo Mojiko nylons which i've yet to wear, were 40% off so super cheap.

Last year, i also bought a pair of Mojiko neoprenes. I :censored: hate Anaconda but also at 40% off, i thought they were a reasonable gamble to test (the usually waaay more expensive) neoprene style. I used these 5+ times wading for salmon last winter (ie in waist deep water at <12deg for 2+hrs at a time) and they performed well. First time i wore thermal longs underneath and was too hot, especially walking out. 2nd time i just went undies and the sweat/condensation on my legs was too uncomfortable. 3rd time i wore my 2XU tights and they were magic! Not sure how well they will last but will certainly be giving them a good run once the water temp is down again.

I have both neoprene and hornes, both have their good points but neoprenes can be a huge pain in the you know what to get in and out of and you sweat like a dog in them and your clothes and socks end up getting soaked anyhow with sweat.

And the Hornes type always end up getting a hole in them somewhere so you end up getting one soaked leg ,nothing worse.

You get repair kits ,but yeah it happens, not that keen on waders,only winter but  neos are probably the lesser of the 2 evils.

The ones I have you can fold them over and wear them like a pair of pants,or pull them up full length,Hodgemans i think they are called,wearing them like that instead of full length seems better. B)

I also purchased the Mojiko nylon last year (40% off and currently have them for 30% off) and have them to be ok, although as they don't breath my thin trackie pants underneath are a little moist at times from condensation/sweat - but mainly on the warmer days after winter.

I'd prefer to have breathable ones but for me they are a bit costly as I'm cheap skate like keenfisho.

I tried on the neoprene type at the same time to compare, but found them to be a bit 'clingy' to my body and so not as easy to put on or take off.

Especially if in a difficult situation of say being dumped by a wave and you need to get them off quickly, I'd feel more comfortable with anything that doesn't 'cling' to you.

• 1 month later...

Went through the same dilemma recently.

Have used the mojiko neoprenes, but far too warm even for the middle of winter. Got back to the car drenched in sweat every time.

They would be great for stationary bait fishing, but not for walking and flicking lures.

I have now gone with some 3mm Neoprene wetsuit pants and a pair of hard sole dive boots.

They haven't seen water yet, but I am definitely more mobile.

The added bonus is I can now fish the rocky points at the ends of beaches etc. with no fear of falling in and not being able to get out the waders. Should be able to just swim out of trouble if worse comes to worst.

I mostly fish shallow rivers, wetlands or lakes and find thigh waders more versatile.

I still have a pair of Prox chest waders which are made of a tougher material than the nylon my Shakespeare thigh waters have.

Been very happy with them, been in some sharp rocky situations and no leaks....touch wood...and good grippy and comfy boots.

I would probably give myself a hernia trying to put on neoprenes, sure doesn't look pretty watching some folks trying either.

Also remember with full neoprenes, .......err...they are very unforgiving for us less than perfect fishos,so if you have a beer gut,skinny legs, or  any other  feature  of interest, they will accentuate it.  Strongly advised you take them off before getting out the car at a servo,going into a shop  ect...to avoid funny stares ! :lol:  :lol:  :rolleyes:

I'm using the light weight breathable waders now days and have done for the past four years, the ones I use are Redington Pro Sonic with the stocking foot. I also have the Korkers wading boots with the interchangeable soles which are great.

Both the waders & wading boots are light weight and since getting them I've been able to cover a lot more distance on the rivers. I wore the heavy PVC Hornes waders with the rubber Blundstone boots for 10 years, they were very good but just so hot & heavy plus there wasn't any grip on a slippery rocky river bottom.. I can now cover around three kilometers of river in a four hour spin session as whereas before I could only cover around 1.5 kms max with the heavy PVS waders. Then there was the walk back to the car as well after fishing..The breathable wader I use weren't cheap but by hell they were well worth spending the extra $$ to buy them. I now have 2 pairs of each as a spare pair is essential when trout fishing the rivers 4-5 days a week during the open season. But I'm just going on river fishing here in Tasmania, not beach or boat fishing as many of you guys do, so you wouldn't need to go for this set up..

cheers

Adrian

Redington pro sonic waders.jpg

Redington Pro Sonic waders..

Korkers boots interchangeable soles..jpg

Korkers wading boots.

Variety of Korker soles.jpg

I have the felt studded & rubber studded soles as well as plain felt & rubber soles, the latter come with the boots when purchased.

Just one more brown that&#39;s all. Meander River, Meander. (15-12-15) (Medium).JPG

Tough day on the Meander River.. much better with the light weight wading gear that's for sure..

LOON OUTDOORS UV Wader glue...jpg

Here's a handy item to carry with you when wading too, it's a UV glue that's will dry instantly in the sun, so if you get a small hole or a seam starts to leak, just put some onto the leaking area and it will dry in a matter of a minute in the sun.. 

Still got my old set of hornes. With the heavy duty boot. Have been awesome and never leaked. Hopefully I can still fit in them, hahaha. Haven't worn them in a while. hahaha

They're still a great wader for sure and perfect for beach fishing etc, Hornes made mine to order as I had them reinforced similar to what they use at the oyster farms, they were perfect for when I had to bush bash to get to a river and blackberry bushes didn't damage them at all. But for the amount fishing I do in the rivers they were really just not good enough in the end due to there weight & lack of grip on the river bottom. I still have them hanging up in the shed as a spare pair for visitors who want to have a session in a river..  :D   

cheers

Adrian