Mojiko deluxe smoker any good ?

seeing poppa snakes 'first smoking trial' post ( got me to thinking about buying a smoker, not as good as poppas but a far cheaper model/type.

I saw this advertised at Anaconda and wondering if anyone has similar or better for around the same price? http://www.anacondastores.com/camping-hiking/camp-cooking/camp-cooking-appliances/mojiko-deluxe-smoker-oven/p/BP90022007

It is a Mojiko brand and it seems to be expensive when not on sale at $110, but on the sale price of $40 it seems a reasonable price for a first start up - however, it could be a crappy smoker for all I know.

So any thoughts?

BP90022007-silver-black.jpg

I use a basic Jarvis Walker branded smoker. Simply stainless sheet, spot welded with a press fit lid and a couple of stainless 'cake rack' style shelves. 

Super easy to use and works great for ST, tommie, mullet fillets, snapper wings ect.

Smok'n.jpg

The only issue with this was the actual burner was a piece of s**t. I replaced it with a quality hiking metho burner (Tatonka) which I had in the cupboard anyway.

Back to the Mojiko one: With out actually looking at one in store.....from what i can see off Anaconda's website, it looks ok. If it is indeed all stainless, would be fine.

Looks to have a lot of vents underneath, where the burner goes. Ive found my metho burners to be really sensitive to wind so this might need a bit of sussing out. I find i often need to place bricks up near the venting holes on mine so the flame doesn't go out.

I bought one about 18 months ago on sale,for about $40 as you have said doobie........it is indeed all stainless in construction,and does the job pretty well for the amount I use it anyway.

As Underpants says,the burners are pretty ordinary,and take a bit of fiddling to get them working to their best......mine came with 2 burners for whatever reason,but I only ever use 1........tried 2 burners,but far too much heat,and the sawdust was gone in about 2 mins!

Takes a bit of trial and error,but for $40 if you lose interest,well you've lost nothing really.

Good luck.

Thanks fellas for your input.

I went and had a look today, didn't buy just yet, but it looked ok for $40.  Felt a little thinish but most probably do to a point.

I think I saw 3 burners in it, but as you say outandabout only 1 probably is sufficient.

Good point also underpants about any breeze through the vents.  I don't have any bricks haha but some alfoil should do the trick.

Probably will pick one up for sale ends.

Cheers again.

I would love to have a hark or similar as I see the recipes and the finished products on the Aussie BBQ forum and it makes my mouth drool - but I can only dream - but would also love to have some the BBQs some of these guys have (they are so into theirs meats it is incredible).

But thought a simple smoker for the fish I catch will at least give a different flavour - and you guys seem to be giving it a big tick.

I'm generally thinking of smoking tommies, mullet and salmon, but what other fish do you try or do you put other meats in these little smokers?

Had a squiz at the Mojiko smoker at their Mile End store today (playground at Bunnings, sausage sizzle then tents & hammock at Anaconda....kids :rolleyes:).

Actually looks pretty good (y), better than my JW smoker! I like the drip tray at the bottom- theoretically stops the half cooked fish juices from going into the smoldering sawdust, obviously not the most ideal 'smoking favours' from fish juice!

Will maintain my thoughts regarding the windshield vents and you'll definitely only need the 1 burner to smoke fish.

On another note, the smoker display was right next to 'Smokin' Joe's' wood chips.

IMG_20160424_112334494.jpg

A little strange as these chips are not suitable for the smoker, more for a Webber/kettle style where you can (soak in water for an hr or so then) wack 'em on the heatbeads/charcoal for a bit of smoking effect.

You'd be wanting sawdust not chips.

I had one given to me as a present. They work fine. After one attemp with the burners supplied i threw them a way and got myself a little camping burner from a camping shop. Worked well with a lot more control of the flame.

The  same type of burner used to be supplied with the galvanised Jarvis Walker smokers. They are about 50mm diameter

• 3 weeks later...

Consider buying a weber or similar. I don't have a dedicated smoker and use the bbq, big weber and the smaller weber to smoke all kinds of stuff. The smaller weber is this one http://www.weber.com/grills/series/go-anywhere/go-anywhere-charcoal

Unless you are cold smoking or smoking heaps of stuff hot smoking is easy. On the smaller one I put 3 - 4 briquettes on one side, get going, and place the sawdust suitably wetted on top. Wait for it to smoke and whack the fish in. I can use it to roast a whole chicken as well up to 1.6 kg.

Piccy tells a 1000 words. Whilst not smoking shows the room where you can put the shavings on the coals. I put them both directly on the coals and above.. I find that the weber does just a good a job but can roast and grill/bbq as well compared to just a dedicated smoker. Just play around with the amount of coals you need, whrere to put them for what you want to do.

chook-XL.jpg