Lip balm for wind knots in braided line - it works !

Firstly, I've tried to find a link on here that someone put up about using lip balm to take out wind knots in braid.  I couldn't find it or on youtube etc (but someone might have the link to add onto this post).

Last year it was the first time in using braid.   Started using braid when I went for the Salmon and found I was getting wind knots (like many of us have probably had).

Usually this would occur on windier days (hence wind knots) or even trying to cast as far as I could.

I didn't know how to get rid of or avoid getting these wind knots, so I just cut the braid but losing say 10 metres or so a time.

I researched on how to avoid these knots but there didn't seem to be any real solution.

Then, in a post on some topic, someone added a link on how to take out out a wind knot in braid using lip balm (Vaseline etc would probably also work), so thought I would store that info in the back of head.

Yesterday I tried for Salmon using a new spool of braid.  The day was a little windy down at Waits and third cast I had a wind knot, but had forgotten to put some lip balm in the bag, so off with 5 metres of line.

Before long another knot but didn't cut it off this time and then another larger knot.  So not wanting to now lose about 20 metres of line I gave up luring and swapped for mullet fishing.

getting home, I decided to try the lip balm on the knots.  The smaller knot was wipe over with the balm and then pulled the line and nothing budged - thought straight away 'stupid idea'.    Put some more balm on the knot and it slid apart without any friction - excellent !!

now for the bigger knot, it was quite entangled and twisted within itself and I knew that this one will be hard and really thought I will have to cut the line.

Tried to ease out some knotting before using the balm but nothing would work lose, so on with the balm and the line started to ease from itself with each careful finger nail gripping of pulling apart.  Took a bit, but it all came lose and not damage to the line.

Long story (sorry), but just wanted to say that the lip balm certainly worked to take out these wind knots and if you haven't tried it, it will be worth trying and save some line and dollars (so put some in with your tackle).

Have to remember that next time, and get some lip balm. Finns 40G is advertised as being so slick you can just pull the knots out, haven't got any to try it but planning on it for one of my setups.

Other than that I've also enjoyed using the cheaper fused braids. That extra stiffness goes a long way to reducing casting knots and haven't had many issues with it.

If you do try this method, I found pulling the line slowly and carefully it just slid the knot away- don't just yank at it.

Will try Keeno's thought as well, and could save a melted balm in the bag ! Although, the line may need a little more than just wetness.  Meaning it may need that extra 'lube' on the surrounding line - but anything is worth a go.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a nasty knot and stupidly had a few more casts, it got worse and had to give up. I used another rod at the time.

When back at home I decided to give the lip balm a go, it worked pretty well with a bit of picking at the knot. I got right to the last knot and couldn't get past it. Looking closely it kinda looked fused haha so couldn't get that bit out.

Lip balm does work though, bloody great tip  (y)