I wonder what effect it will have on aquarium fish... many are carp type species.

If the herpes gets in to the rivers, it gets in to the reservoirs, into the water supplies then in to the aquariums.....

Still, its worth it in mho.

Now, something similar for cane toads please.... !  oh.. and feral cats....

From what Ive read it is a species specific strain that is already in a lot of

waterway's throughout America and some Asian countries with no harm

whatsoever to other species or transmition to animals or human's .

It's only carp and the kai ornamental carp that are prone to this disease

that's why there so confident in it , they have been trialing it for ten year's

around the world with great success , have a look on you tube .

80 - 100% death within 24hrs of release .

Just read that release date is 2018  there trying to plan what to do with dead carp recovery

to stop the smell and pollutant , that's all that's holding it back apparently .

Need to release a scavenger that will feed on the dead carp.   .......... piranha and/or caiman...??    :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Dare say they would be running up and down the river in sections with a net to get the floaters. Some people are carrying on like peanuts like this saying stuff like what if we drink the water in Adelaide.. we might catch the herpe's....

*Bangs head on the wall*

Can be used as fertilizer I reckon..

If the government thought about it they could put a tender out to to fertiliser companies to bid for the collection and use of the dead carp

There is already a company that uses carp for fertilizer... called Charlie Carp from memory.

Blackwater event in the making...

Think they'll be having to restock all the natives and start from scratch.

If you have a goldfish bowl with afew fish, and 1 dies... If you don't remove it within a day or so, everything dies.

It's a naturally  occurring disease that started in Asian countries discovered over ten year's ago

and in the countries that have outbreak's in river's it has only killed the carp , as said it is

a species specific disease that only can be caught by carp ,no other fish in the river's that

it has been introduced have been found dead .

were talking millions of tons here,can't see them being collected unless we can bring in a small army of chinamen.....,better speak to Kochie he has connections

cheers b

The catch device at blanchtown has been there 7 year's and caught 250 ton of carp so far apparently so

I think it would be in the thousand's the tons of carp in the river system .

That is contaray to what I've been reading on this virus no nation or state in the world has PURPOSEFULLY   introduced this virus into any waterway anywhere in the world,it has been trialled but not introduced into any river or waterway.

If we do so we will be the first.

That is contaray to what I've been reading on this virus no nation or state in the world has PURPOSEFULLY   introduced this virus into any waterway anywhere in the world,it has been trialled but not introduced into any river or waterway.

If we do so we will be the first.

Yes I agree Cal , my choice of wording may of caused some confusion on this ,what I meant by introduced into waterways

was this wasn't done by an agency of csiro or another like it , It was they think by someone disposing of an ornamental carp into

the river system in America anyway , from what Ive read it occurs naturally in Asian countries . I believe it says above in my post

the words Trialing for ten year's , not releasing it .

If you have more info post it up .

There are lots of good videos/info on youtube about this very issue. 

Interviews and the such. Goes through it pretty precisely. Hard to not agree with some of their points.

It seems pretty safe in theory. 

Still can't help but think that this could turn in to a horror scenario involving genetic mutation and disaster. lol 

They expect the birds to remove a large portion of the dead carp.My father always told me about the days when you could climb a tree and watch big cod swim by.It would be great to see the bottom again.

Agree 100%

My aunty grew up at blanchetown ,her father was lock master .She recall's the water very clear as well b4

the carp ,at the moment it look's like a dirty duck pond .

https://theconversation.com/should-we-release-the-deadly-carp-virus-into-our-rivers-and-water-supplies-57982

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-02/carp-eradication-program-could-cause-pollution-problems/7374658

I am very worried that Chris Pynes name is mentioned with this, a real and definate worry having that imbecile involved with anything .

Yes I agree Cal ,Pyne is as weazly as a used car sales man ,But something must be done.

How many year's have they had the save the murray fund and done sweet f all with it , lets try

something at least , sitting around forming commitees has got no where .You could find someone

to disagree with almost any plan , but then ask them for a solution and they shrug there shoulder's .

How will it destroy fishing as in the article when no one eats carp ,In 5 year's there could be native fish

stock's to catch without the bloody carp .

The murray will still be murky[locks, irrigation,runoff, lack of bankside vegetation,mismanagement will guarantee this], no restocking program......as per usual.

If they can spend  15 mil on a virus, why dont they spend a little more and stock say 50,000 callop and cod fingerlings between each lock [like they do in Vic] , easy and would probably only  cost a couple of hundred grand to do so if that. B)

They will never get rid of carp......

Or cane toads, or rabbits or foxes.

Introducing a virus might make a dent in the populations of carp, but it won't get them all.

Keep stocking as many native fish as possible, best solution I see to diminish carp numbers.

After all, it wasn't carp that drastically affected cod stocks in the River Murray, it was overfishing from humans.

Return the native fish to population levels that they were before carp arrived, and I see them balancing the equation and even out-competing carp for food.