Carp herpes is only stage 1 of there plan , there still working on the daughter less

carp plan as well ,but the daughter less carp program will take 30 yrs to see any effect .

That's why herpes is plan 1 .

Good Point. 

From what I understand using the two methods together is going to have the most effect. 

The herpes is like the initial knock on the head to get numbers down to a "more" realistic manageable number for other programs to be implemented. 

• 3 months later...

First they said it would take around 30 years to rid the river of carp with the virus now they are worried about oxygen depletion form a massive die off.Which one is it?Can we trust these idiots with our river,i think not.I hope they are basing their decision on more study and research then they did before they introduced the no take zones.

First they said it would take around 30 years to rid the river of carp with the virus now they are worried about oxygen depletion form a massive die off.Which one is it?Can we trust these idiots with our river,i think not.I hope they are basing their decision on more study and research then they did before they introduced the no take zones.

The river has been oxygen depleted before. Before all the locks, dams in NSW and Vic, the river used to dry into a series of muddy pools. Sure, there will be some short term pain but I think the long term gain is worth it. I also think the CSIRO has learnt a thing or two since Cane Toads. The work they do up here killing Salvinia weed in Kakadu is nothing short of fantastic. They just need more funding, that Abbott cut, and needs to be restored.