Kangaroo Island Trip 2016!

Well my mate asked me along another Kangaroo Island trip last holidays! Arrived back home last week with an experience we will never forget.  :)

DSC02203.JPG

When we first arrived on Hanson bay, we got out of the car for a quick stretch and collected some fresh air on the front porch. We looked at the first bay to see a massive patch of "seaweed/reef" that was never there before? After a long analysis, I realised it was a salmon school that was incredibly close to shore!!  :o:excited:  We quickly started to unpack but my mates mum told us to grab the rods and go so we did!  :lol: 
It was the closest school I have ever seen and the salmon weren't small! We hooked up every cast for a good 25 minutes before the school moved out deeper. Biggest went 70cm and they were all around 65-70cm. Awesome fun while it lasted and we already collected a feed. lol  :P 
DSC02186.JPG

The next day we woke up at 6:30am to find another huge school (possibly the same one) being chased in close by a couple of hungry seals!  

Same thing happened, we ran down and hooked up every cast for a solid 25 minutes before the school moved back out. Crazy stuff!!  :headbang:

DSC02195.JPG

DSC02196.JPG

DSC02197.JPG

DSC02199.JPG

After had some time to relax and eat, we headed down to the river and realised that it was full of feeding bream!!! We used surface lures (OSP Bent Minnows) for the majority of the time, landing dozens of healthy fish including a 36.5cm one! 

DSC02219.JPG

DSC02227.JPG

DSC02235.JPG

DSC02244.JPG

Went back home for dinner and played a couple of board games before I headed back to the river for a solo flick. Caught another half a dozen or so before dark.  :)

DSC02247.JPG

DSC02250.JPG

DSC02256.JPG

The next day we woke up early once again, but this time we couldn't see any schools so we headed straight for the river. Within the first half hour of using surface lures, they seemed a bit slow because it was freezing!! So we switched to Zman grubz, cranka crabs and dragon maggots. This turned out trumps and we found ourselves catching one almost every cast in one specific spot.  B) Not huge but they were fun little fish. 

DSC02280.JPG

DSC02282.JPG

DSC02266.JPG

DSC02269.JPG

DSC02272.JPG

DSC02275.JPG

DSC02286.JPG

After about 3-4 hours, we went back to the shack to get our energy back, when my mates mum comes in and informs us of a big salmon school on the second bay! We grabbed the big rods and ran down to give it a suss. Standing on the cliff at the start of the second bay, I spotted the school! It was out far unfortunately so we waited (impatiently).  :laugh:

DSC02310.JPG

DSC02311.JPG

DSC02314.JPG

After a long wait, we realised there was another smaller school further down the bay, but this one was closer!  :clap:

We followed it around the place, landing a fish every few casts into the school before one fish broke my hook! For the next 20 minutes, I was casting into the school with a hookless slug and watching them chase it all the way to the shore. It was an amazing sight.  (y)

DSC02323.JPG

DSC02318.JPG

DSC02326.JPG

DSC02331.JPG

After the school moved out far and wide, we  decided to call it a day as we were buggered...  :wacko:

The next day, we headed north towards Kingscote! Expecting the best, it ended up being rough and windy at the jetty but we fished it anyways. It was real slow but we managed to land 2 tiny squid (kept for bait), a few red mullet, a leather jacket and a troutie! 

DSC02334.JPG

DSC02340.JPG

On the way home, we stopped at Vivvone bay for a quick night flick. After landing about half a dozen nice tommies on plastics, along with a couple of tiny trevally, it was time to go. On the way home, a 4x4 with a barcrusher boat overtook us at high speeds. Then another one which looked quite familar? After a second look, I realised it was the Paul's boat, "True Blue" and the Ifish crew! LOL  :lol: Hope they didn't hit any wallabies.  :rolleyes:

The next few days we only fished the river as there were no salmon schools in sight! 

We landed over 30 bream on the OSP Bent Minnows including some bruisers that were 35cm+! :excited: We had clear visions on most of the hookups! It was insane!!!! 
DSC02346.JPG

DSC02355.JPG

e.jpg

DSC02362.JPG

DSC02369.JPG

DSC02378.JPG

DSC02383.JPG

DSC02385.JPG

DSC02387.JPG

Overall, it was one of the best holidays I've had! None of it would have happened without one of my best mates, John and his lovely family!  :) 

And to finish this new thread, here's the longest video I've made on my YouTube channel!!  ;) Cheers! 

One of your best reports yet mate, just brilliant.

Been thinking of a KI holiday for a while, you just motivated me to get there sooner.

You have been having some success recently with those OSP Bent Minnows on bream, they look like they would cast well, cover more water if landbased.

Also that salmon fishing looks and sounds insane, reminds me of some good sessions over Yorkes chasing schools of nice fish up and down the beach.

Worth the travelling time to experience it.

seen the Tittle Alex and KI and thought this is gonna be a good post and wasnt disapointed ;)  great work young fella some solid sambos there ;)..we use to fish Vivvone Bay alot years ago huge barracutta and sharks at night..thing i loved about the place is u never knew what u were gonna hook onto ;) ..Top post mate best ive read in a long time well done B)

Fantastic mate!...........ooooh man, now i'm seriously :censored:  jealous tho! Havent had a trip there for 4 seasons and was trying to head over this month. Now my mate's just landed a new contract :(

I too have experienced the 'odd looking reef' at Hanson bay, although we weren't familiar with the beach's layout at the time and intentionally avoided casting to the 'rocks'  :facepalm:  !!

Top report mate! Love the surface lure action no better way to catch a fish IMO. The skiny water bream are something else over on the island, got my pb 43cm bream in a skiny little creek last visit and he was probably the smallest of the school.Going over for work wed. Morn coming back thurs night 7.30pm ferry

Any hot tips alex😆😆

IMAG0610_1.jpg

Top report mate! Love the surface lure action no better way to catch a fish IMO. The skiny water bream are something else over on the island, got my pb 43cm bream in a skiny little creek last visit and he was probably the smallest of the school.Going over for work wed. Morn coming back thurs night 7.30pm ferry

Any hot tips alex

Awesome dude! I should be asking you for hot tips with that quality bream!! LOL. Good luck! Sounds like you found a killa spot :) 

Just watched the video. Fantastic but nearly had me crying too!

Have never seen salmon in Hanson's first bay, never seen a big school of large, healthy Greenbacks either, let alone within shore casting distance!

Plus, all with the sun out in that beautiful Autumn weather.......wearing shorts!

You are fortunate to have experienced that and may not be able to repeat it either! Luckily those memories will be with you for the rest of your life.

Thanks for sharing the footage.....man i'm sooooo :censored:  envious!

BTW, what was that 'sinking soft stickbait'?

Just watched the video. Fantastic but nearly had me crying too!

Have never seen salmon in Hanson's first bay, never seen a big school of large, healthy Greenbacks either, let alone within shore casting distance!

Plus, all with the sun out in that beautiful Autumn weather.......wearing shorts!

You are fortunate to have experienced that and may not be able to repeat it either! Luckily those memories will be with you for the rest of your life.

Thanks for sharing the footage.....man i'm sooooo :censored:  envious!

BTW, what was that 'sinking soft stickbait'?

Thank you for the great feedback Underpants! It is an experience I will keep for a lifetime, one of the most insane fishing trips I've ever had!  :) 

The sinking stick bait is an Atomic Seekerz Semi-hardz. 

• 2 years later...