Overfishing in SAI

Hello everybody my name is Raff.

I'm currently doing a school project on overfishing and I would like your opinions on it.

What I'm after is instances of overfishing in South Australia. Any stories, experiences or just general knowledge would be very helpful and much appreciated.

I'm looking forward to seeing the responses 

Thank You

Raff

I know a group called SAFA was highlighting an episode of overfishing by commercials in this state,it seems they have gone well over their quota of squid but also there seems to be no penalty for doing so.Im sure if you contact SAFA the might be able to poinbt you in the right direction.

cheers nereus

hi Raff111 Interesting topic this over fishing. Not really sure what it means but i will add some input.

My extended family first started fishing in SA in 1925 professionally.

IN the Late 1960,s early 1970.s  there were 14 family members fishing for a living in a small country town.(West Coast).  At that  time there were 3 fish factories and approximately 70 plus professional fisherman targeting whiting in the town . No one became rich from fishing but most made a living.

Over time my family members slowly diminished fishing. Some due to old age, health reasons , other employment , the area being remote...etc. This also happened to the  the other fishermen.

Today June 2016 there is one processor and about 10 professional fishermen.

During that period no one had GPS units and relied on line of sight to get to their particular fishing grounds.

IMO and that of my fore fathers, fishing happens in cycles. Not every year is a good year. as far as fish catch is concerned. Not all months of the year will give you good catch,s of fish.

Do we do a survey on the poor fish catch months, November, December , January and early Febuary, the months were the Southerly wind is a factor and put the catch rate down to over fishing?. The family  have diaries that show that nothing has changed in respect to the mentioned months that go back to the 1930,s. Is this not he time of year, the holiday months  when most people who have a boat go fishing. Is their catch rate subject to seasonal factors or over fishing?

An old saying is a good year on the land equates to a good year on the sea.

hey mate,

You should have a read through the current status of sa fishery reports from the Govt http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/236904/SA-Marine-Scalefish-Fishery-Status-Report.pdf

in these you will find examples of fisheries that have been or still are overfished. (ie mud cockles in the port river, garfish stocks and some stocks of KGW and snapper).  You need to know that the fish stock of species are split into regions, ie upper spencer gulf, lower spencer gulf, gulf st Vincent, SE etc. so a species may be classed as overfished (or the nicer term they use "transitional depleting") in one area but not (or sustainable) in another.

Also look at the recreational fishing survey http://pir.sa.gov.au/fishing/publications/rec_fishing_survey (which has results that  are somewhat controversial)

After you have grasped the content of these Gov't report (probably good to  google search some of the older reports too to get some historic changes)

I would then then look at some of the opinions from recreational fishing groups such as this, SAFA and RECfish sa (search this site on these groups submissions to the govt (haven't got time to find the links sorry))

summarise the information from all types of reports then draw your own conclusions.

Top marks right there :)

hey mate,

You should have a read through the current status of sa fishery reports from the Govt http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/236904/SA-Marine-Scalefish-Fishery-Status-Report.pdf

in these you will find examples of fisheries that have been or still are overfished. (ie mud cockles in the port river, garfish stocks and some stocks of KGW and snapper).  You need to know that the fish stock of species are split into regions, ie upper spencer gulf, lower spencer gulf, gulf st Vincent, SE etc. so a species may be classed as overfished (or the nicer term they use "transitional depleting") in one area but not (or sustainable) in another.

Also look at the recreational fishing survey http://pir.sa.gov.au/fishing/publications/rec_fishing_survey (which has results that  are somewhat controversial)

After you have grasped the content of these Gov't report (probably good to  google search some of the older reports too to get some historic changes)

I would then then look at some of the opinions from recreational fishing groups such as this, SAFA and RECfish sa (search this site on these groups submissions to the govt (haven't got time to find the links sorry))

summarise the information from all types of reports then draw your own conclusions.

Top marks right there :)

Good advice but don't forget Raff is probably only 14 or 15 years old, so some of those links may be information overload!