Review - Daiwa Trout Bag

Coming from a background of lure fishing from the shore back in the US I've always used shoulder bags for carrying my tackle. My beloved Aquaskinz bag that I have used for years finally gave out from all the exposure to salt and sun and I needed a replacement.

Shoulder fishing bags don't seem to be as popular over here, and most of the ones that are available don't match what I want.

I had seen the Daiwa Trout bag online and liked what it seemed to offer, but couldn't find one in any of my local shops. I took a punt and ordered one from an online shop.

The bag is the perfect size for what I wanted, with easily accessed lure storage and spots for common tools and accessories without being too big or cumbersome.

20160706_173536.jpg

There's a main compartment that holds tackle boxes, leader spools, sunnies, a beanie and gloves, some packets of sp's and my tagging kit. It also has a front flap pocket, another on the side that I use for a small tape measure and scissors, a pliers holder and mesh water bottle pocket on the other side and a small zip pocket on the front.

20160706_173931.jpg

20160706_174225.jpg

A feature that I borrowed from the US style surf bags that I've used in the past is a row of tubes for holding my salmon lures. Trying to dig through a bag for a tackle box and then getting the box open, getting a lure out and putting it away can be tricky while wading in the surf. I made this row of tubes out of 20mm pvc and taped it together with ordinary packing tape. It sits in the front flap pocket for quick and easy access.

20160706_173639.jpg

20160706_173704.jpg

One of the best features of the bag is the second strap that connects in the front and keeps the bag from moving around or falling forward when casting or leaning down. It has a quick release clip for when you want to swing the bag around and get inside.

20160706_173616.jpg

Cost was $50, if you do a bit of catch and release lure fishing for salmon or bream or in the freshwater it's definitely worth a look.

Awesome little bag

I'm currently using one I got from bcf. Can't remember the brand but more a bum bag style that I throw over my head and shoulder but that looks like a great bag for my flats fishing.

What website did you order it from

I got it from Motackle, but a couple other places have it as well.

Last time i checked ray annes had a healthy supply only about 30 bux too

I saw it listed on their website and liked the price, but when I was there about a month ago they didn't have any.

I like the shoulder bag style too and had been eyeing off that same bag for a year or so. Even just as a slightly-less-camp-looking man bag :rolleyes: , it looks the goods!

Ended up grabbing a Plano Lumbar Fishing Pack, which is more a bum bag style but also has a shoulder sling attachment.  Bought it online from the UK, delivered for AU$44, less than 1/2 the price in-store here (WTF)!

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/en/Plano-Lumber-Fishing-Pack-3500/m-22977.aspx

plano.jpg

Couldn't find one in local shops you say? Hmmm . . . Looks like a great idea Mate, reckon the Guru might start playing around with the sewing machine soon ;)

Do it !!

My original old general purpose shoulder bag, wading bag etc is made from super heavy duty, woven poly tarp material. Actually came from one of the sales reps when i was working underground at Mt Isa and is made from mine ventilation ducting. Super simple, tough and even water resistant.

vent bag.jpg

The only vaguely similar thing i've been able to find since are those yellow ones that MOTackle sell. A mate has 2 and they are ok. However whilst pretty cheap they are just a little flimsy, mainly due to the lighter grade material.

http://www.motackle.com.au/beach-shoulder-bag.html

The lure tube idea is quite popular with surfcasters throwing lures back where I grew up. The tubes can be different sizes to accommodate any size lure, even the big wooden ones we used back there. I have made up similar setups for boat fishing as well and it works great.

Here's the bag I've just retired, these guys make the best in the business, mine held a ridiculous amount of lures and tackle without being very big and it was incredibly easy to quickly access anything you needed. When I started using it over here I simply removed the big tubes from the main compartment and used it for the sort of items I now have in the same section of the Daiwa bag.

http://www.aquaskinz.com/index.php5?mode=item&cid=3&pid=2&alt=1

nice one mate!

You should of said something! I got one hidding behind me desk in my office at work...

Might become useful for me now with that top idea you've created ;)

:lol:  I asked about them awhile back before you worked there, they said they'd gotten them when they first came out but hadn't sold well and weren't going to be restocked. Must have been one lost in the back room, you should make use of it.

nice one mate!

You should of said something! I got one hidding behind me desk in my office at work...

Might become useful for me now with that top idea you've created ;)

:lol:  I asked about them awhile back before you worked there, they said they'd gotten them when they first came out but hadn't sold well and weren't going to be restocked. Must have been one lost in the back room, you should make use of it.

When I first started there and looked around at what my office will be that bag caught my eye. Have been eyeing it off ever since!