Onkaparinga Breaming!

Ever since the first time I hit the Onk this season, I've been hitting it almost every week! It started off with a slow session on the salmon, so our plan B was to fish the Onk, although we didn't have the right gear, we emphasised and managed to land a few good fish! 4 fish were landed the first time between James and I. Biggest went 37.5cm.   :D 
 edit.jpg

DSC02610.JPG

chomp (2).jpg

DSC02613.JPG

DSC02599.JPG

The fish turned off for a while so we finished the day off at the jetty. A nice school came by and James and I landed 2 fish each around 45cm! We were stoked and wanted to do it again.
DSC02616.JPG

The next time we headed down, it was a lot more breezy and cold. :rain: The water was a chocolate milk colour and our hopes were lost. We started flicking and soon found a school! We both landed a decent fish each and dropped some too. We continued and found another school, same thing happens. Biggest fish went 39cm and FAT! But the majority of fish were over 35cm. Killa fun.  :headbang:

Onk Bream.jpg

DSC02677.JPG

DSC02679.JPG

DSC02658.JPG

DSC02660.JPG

DSC02665.JPG

DSC02670.JPG

DSC02678.JPG

set.jpg

DSC02683.JPG

DSC02685.JPG

DSC02688.JPG

DSC02692.JPG

DSC02693.JPG

DSC02689.JPG

Once the tides changed, the fish turned off so we decided to check out the jetty again.. Unfortunately, the salmon did not want to play this time.  :unsure:

With the bloodworm run taking place around metro waters, we hit the Onk again!  :facepalm:  :laugh: This time the condition were nice. We were welcomed to the spot with a glassed off river and a slight breeze. The water wasn't as murky as last time, but it was still quite dirty. We fished the same spots, and soon found a school. They weren't as active today, but in the end, we managed a couple of good fish. James hooked a bream that would have easily tipped 40cm but unfortunately it spat the hook! :censored:  Loved the photos James took today, epic!!  :rolleyes: 

DSC02725.JPG

asd.jpg

DSC02733.JPG

DSC02735.JPG

DSC02762.JPG

DSC02771.JPG

DSC02773.JPG

I had planned to fish with Nathan, Kwok and Kelvin on Sunday. Same plans! It was one of the best days (weather wise), but the fishing wasn't up to standards. As Nathan and I moved along, Kelvin and Kwok decided to hit another spot in the Onk. They caught a lot more than we did! We worked hard for the fish all day, but I only managed 3. Biggest went 35cm.

rt.jpg

DSC02832.JPG

DSC02829.JPG

DSC02850.JPGDSC02855.JPG

Now for my trip to Port Augusta! I'm sure there will be a report, unless I donut!!  :laugh: 
Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed the report.  :)  :fishing: 

Cheers for the great feedback S&Hers! Half the photos and fish were taken by James and a couple from Nathan. Credit to them :) 

I swear you are sponsored by Z-Man mate.

Either that or you are bribing the bream with the motor oil Grubz again.

Were you using the HB bent minnows this time, I know you have also been having luck with the OSPs??

Haven't had any luck with the Bent minnows on bream around this time of year. Salmon trout have been smashing them though! Cannot wait for Summer to arrive  :excited:

Think I might try the Onk this weekend.

@Alex, seems like you've got the bream pretty sussed, do you find that tide makes much of a difference chasing them in the Onk? Any other tips you wouldn't mind sharing?

I could return the favour by sharing all the fishing techniques I try that don't work, so you know what to avoid. :lol:

Think I might try the Onk this weekend.

@Alex, seems like you've got the bream pretty sussed, do you find that tide makes much of a difference chasing them in the Onk? Any other tips you wouldn't mind sharing?

I could return the favour by sharing all the fishing techniques I try that don't work, so you know what to avoid. :lol:

Hey Plankton. Happy to help! The tides aren't much of a fuss, only when it's running hard, it can be pretty hard to keep the lure close to the bottom! The slack of the tides are good to fish, but I find run in tides are also good to fish, as it lets in fresh seawater. But then again, the bream would be feeding on things coming down with the dropping tide! 

You can always trust a Zman 2.5" Grub to do the job :P. But I'm sure a lot of other lures would go well too. 

Best of luck mate! Let us know your luck.  :)  :fishing:

Here's a little video I put together. 

Thanks Alex, I'll let you know how I go, hopefully have some nice photos to share as well.

I do have some little grubs, so I'll definitely start off with them.

My biggest issue with bream on sp's is patience, it seems they prefer the lure to be moving very slowly and I struggle with that.

That's a very good point, I struggled with that when I first started targeting them. But once you land a few, you will feel more confident and persistent. Always worth the reward when you catch one, nonetheless.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Had another fantastic time down at the Onk this arvo, only fished for 3 hours! I landed a dozen with the 2 biggest being 37cm and 35cm. Dropped quite a few including one that would have been similar to the biggest, if not bigger. My mate (Blan) landed his first bream on lure, followed by 3 more! All fish were caught on the ol' trust worthy Zman Grubz. Always feel confident using them.  :P

DSC03137.JPG

DSC03139.JPG

z.jpg

DSC03149.JPG

DSC03155.JPG

DSC03156.JPG

DSC03158.JPG

DSC03160.JPG

Hoping to get onto them again, sometime soon!  :fishing:

Nearly fell off my chair, when the tree branch snapped. (Laughing loudly)

Funniest Home Video winner there !!

I noticed that the fishing outfit never touched the water, good effort.

As for the waders filling up, a whole new ballgame there, swan dive included.

At least no one was hurt in the making of your movie.

Your pictures, write ups and video's are fantastic.

Nearly fell off my chair, when the tree branch snapped. (Laughing loudly)

Funniest Home Video winner there !!

I noticed that the fishing outfit never touched the water, good effort.

As for the waders filling up, a whole new ballgame there, swan dive included.

At least no one was hurt in the making of your movie.

Your pictures, write ups and video's are fantastic.

Lmao! Still gives me a buzz when I think about it.  :lol: A fishermans first instinct, keep the rod and reel dry!  :ph34r:

Some great photos taken Alex, loved the video clip too, well done.. Have to call you the "Onkaparinga Bream King" I reckon..

I've taken a few dives during my days of trout fishing rivers too, always try & save the rod & reel first as well.. :D

cheers

Adrian

Cheers Adrian! Call me what you like, I'm no king.  :P:lol: 

I've seen your recent reports too! Some fantastic waterways you're fishing and lovely fish also!  :)