Deep Fryer Oils & Tips needed.

Well I have been pondering on buying a deep fryer for a while after seeing a few pics of foods on here that made me think I wish I could do cook some calamari or chips etc like that.

I had caught some squid, ringed them, and tried to ‘deep fry’ them in a wok on the BBQ – not bad, but not that good either.

So in the end I decided to buy a deep fryer (Smith + Nobel twin 3.5L fryer), but now need some advice on from those who are experienced ‘deep fryer chefs’  :) 

Things like:-

• better oils to use

( I have googled a bit and so far it seems Sunflower is quite good along with extra light olive oil. Both have high flash point and good monounsaturated and polyunsaturated amounts)

• how long you use the same oil

( I have read best not to use more than 2 or 3 times – or do you discard after each cook)

• best/cheapest place to buy the good oil

( I have looked in some supermarkets for the Sunflower but don’t see 4L containers or for that matter I don’t even see Extra Light Olive oil.  Are there other places that sell the oils cheaper?  I won’t be deep frying very regularly, so price I suppose won’t matter too much, but if there are some cheaper selling place, why not!)

• tips on cooking our seafood catches

( Love to hear about your deep frying tips, may be step by steps, tasty batters, how to get a great ‘crisp’ etc.)

So any advice, help and tips would be greatly appreciated and I’m sure will help other deep fryer chefs as well.

(ps: the smith+nobel was from Harris Scarfes, but searching for info on the S+N it seems it could be HS own brand – but have my doubts on that)

Hi doobi. I find that using rice oil is good as it has a very high flash point. Also it is good as it does not add it's own taste. As far as

how to use the oil goes, it depends on what has been cooked mainly, as some things will leave sedament in the bottom of your

cooker. This depends on how well the coating has bonded with the fish etc. I change my oil, when I see that it is noticeably darker

than it was when new. Too much sedament in the bottom of cooker, can effect the heating and taste. From time to time either coles 

or woolworths, will have it on special, some times at half price. That is when I buy it and have on hand for when I see it needs

changing. If it is on special at say coles for a fortnight. it then quite often will come on special at woolworths, the next fortnight. The

rice oil that I buy, comes in 3 lt containers, so in your case, it would pay to start with 2 x 3lt. I use the part container for any other

cooking like in a frying pan  and also to top up the fryer, from time to time. The worst thing that you can do with seafood, is over cook

it. Some say fresh is best as the meat retains more moisture. If you cook fresh fish, it will tend to bend while if you cook fish that has

been frozen, it will tend to stay flat.  As far as batter goes, a good one can be made by adding beer to plain flour. Another good one is

to use soda water and flour. Enjoy.

welcome to the fold of health food :D !

Any high smoke point oil (kinda the same as flash point): sunflower, canola, rice bran. Dont touch olive oil it's smoke point is way too low!!  I'm currently using sunflower oil which  i get from Gaganis by the 5lt but a bit of a drive for a Southerner.

I like to keep reusing my oil for as long as i can because it gathers so many awesome flavours, (fish, garlic, chilli & spices :wub: ) given for savory stuff only! Many folk will disagree here but each to their own. The trick is to filter out all the bits between uses so they don't get burnt and make things taste less desirable. I filter into an old oil bottle with a big funnel and a piece of 'chux' style cloth, cheesecloth would be good too. Coffee filter paper is way tooooooo fine tho. Always while the oil is still warm (such that you can put your finger in comfortably) so its not too viscous. Eventually the oil will start to break down and smoke then will have to be discarded.

The small appliance style deep fryers are great as they hold a good volume of oil for smaller sized portions and you can regulate temp with the thermostats. Are a right pain to clean though. I use mine outside on the bbq rather than in the kitchen.

I have two main approaches to fish/meat coverings:

• Salt & pepper: A double coating of spiced flour & egg white is magic. Using cornflour and whatever you like. 5spice, chilli, salt, black & szechuan pepper, carlic & onion powders ect.
  • crumbed. Good old fashioned supermarket breadcrumbs, not a fan of planko. Flour, egg, breadcrumbs, egg, breadcrumbs.

I'm not a fan of batter unless it's banana fritters :wub:  :wub:  but they don't work with my fishy, spicy oil.

I use a varied type of oils pending what I cook ...... but I love cooking with Grape Seed oil - clean as.

I have also purchased a "Fry - Air" Amazing, no oil and quick and juicy meals. Potato chips turn out perfect and no oil required. Comes with all you need to do kebabs including s/s skewers and cradle in the rotisserie. Love it but still like some meals cooked in oil (grape seed preferred)  But will try the Rice bran.

Cheers

Hi doobi. I find that using rice oil is good as it has a very high flash point. Also it is good as it does not add it's own taste. As far as

how to use the oil goes, it depends on what has been cooked mainly, as some things will leave sedament in the bottom of your

cooker. This depends on how well the coating has bonded with the fish etc. I change my oil, when I see that it is noticeably darker

than it was when new. Too much sedament in the bottom of cooker, can effect the heating and taste. From time to time either coles 

or woolworths, will have it on special, some times at half price. That is when I buy it and have on hand for when I see it needs

changing. If it is on special at say coles for a fortnight. it then quite often will come on special at woolworths, the next fortnight. The

rice oil that I buy, comes in 3 lt containers, so in your case, it would pay to start with 2 x 3lt. I use the part container for any other

cooking like in a frying pan  and also to top up the fryer, from time to time. The worst thing that you can do with seafood, is over cook

it. Some say fresh is best as the meat retains more moisture. If you cook fresh fish, it will tend to bend while if you cook fish that has

been frozen, it will tend to stay flat.  As far as batter goes, a good one can be made by adding beer to plain flour. Another good one is

to use soda water and flour. Enjoy.

Thanks for your info snapper and I did see today at Coles they have Rice Bran Oil @ 3L for $19.79 (not on special).

They had Gold Choice Sunflower @ 4L for $18 or a Coles brand @ 4L for $9.75 - a bit of a difference in price.

Is there any notable difference in taste that you have noticed (if you have tried the others of course).

welcome to the fold of health food :D !

Any high smoke point oil (kinda the same as flash point): sunflower, canola, rice bran. Dont touch olive oil it's smoke point is way too low!!  I'm currently using sunflower oil which  i get from Gaganis by the 5lt but a bit of a drive for a Southerner.

I like to keep reusing my oil for as long as i can because it gathers so many awesome flavours, (fish, garlic, chilli & spices :wub: ) given for savory stuff only! Many folk will disagree here but each to their own. The trick is to filter out all the bits between uses so they don't get burnt and make things taste less desirable. I filter into an old oil bottle with a big funnel and a piece of 'chux' style cloth, cheesecloth would be good too. Coffee filter paper is way tooooooo fine tho. Always while the oil is still warm (such that you can put your finger in comfortably) so its not too viscous. Eventually the oil will start to break down and smoke then will have to be discarded.

The small appliance style deep fryers are great as they hold a good volume of oil for smaller sized portions and you can regulate temp with the thermostats. Are a right pain to clean though. I use mine outside on the bbq rather than in the kitchen.

I have two main approaches to fish/meat coverings:

• Salt & pepper: A double coating of spiced flour & egg white is magic. Using cornflour and whatever you like. 5spice, chilli, salt, black & szechuan pepper, carlic & onion powders ect.
  • crumbed. Good old fashioned supermarket breadcrumbs, not a fan of planko. Flour, egg, breadcrumbs, egg, breadcrumbs.

I'm not a fan of batter unless it's banana fritters :wub:  :wub:  but they don't work with my fishy, spicy oil.

Thanks also Underpants and some good info as well.

I don't think I will use olive oil (even though it says you can, as long as it is "extra light".

Your S&P sounds a good mix of spices, so will try that one.

And emptying the oil will be tricky with this unit being a double compartment. They don't seem to come out separately so will need to tilt whole unit and of course oil pours from both compartments at the same time :rolleyes:  

I use a varied type of oils pending what I cook ...... but I love cooking with Grape Seed oil - clean as.

I have also purchased a "Fry - Air" Amazing, no oil and quick and juicy meals. Potato chips turn out perfect and no oil required. Comes with all you need to do kebabs including s/s skewers and cradle in the rotisserie. Love it but still like some meals cooked in oil (grape seed preferred)  But will try the Rice bran.

Cheers

Yes, I heard those Air Fryers are good Panga, but from the ones I saw where a bit more expensive and 'looked' as if they didn't hold too much of say chips.

I regularly arrive home with donuts after fishing and highly recommend cooking them in shortening. Stays solid at room temp and doesn't go rancid as quickly as those healthier oils. 

At least those trans fats and donut sugars give me a high after a disappointing session.  

mmm, I do love them too.

Always loved the "American Hot Donuts" at the Royal Show when I went in the younger days.

They are on the list now :)

Hi again doobie. You have asked the difference between 3 oils, those being Rice Bran Oil, Sunflower Oil and Coles Oil. I must admit that I did buy Coles Homebrand Oil, ( Thankfully, I only did it once ) I have used sunflower Oil and it was OK. The Rice Bran Oil, ticks all the boxes, for me.

cheers snapper.

Yeah I didn't think the Coles one would be any good and see it is refined in Malaysia also.

The Rice Bran is the one I will try first - on your recommendation, so I have someone to fall back on if it doesn't go down well :)  but really, I'm thinking you know your oils ;)

But if by chance it has a 'taste' for me, then like underpants mentions there are others to try as well.

Now peoples, we need more recipes for me (and others here too)  :D

The Winner: Coconut Oil is The Healthiest Oil For Deep Frying

Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is your best choice overall.

Studies have shown that even after 8 hours of continuous deep frying at 365°F (180°C), its quality does not deteriorate (2).

Over 90% of the fatty acids in coconut oil are saturated, which makes it very resistant to heat.

Saturated fats used to be considered unhealthy, but new studies show that they are a completely harmless source of energy for humans (3, 4).

Additionally, coconut oil has numerous health benefits. For example, it can help kill harmful bacteria and viruses, and may even help you lose belly fat (5, 6).

Keep in mind that some varieties can leave a coconut flavor or smell, so I recommend that you try a few different brands until you find one that is suitable.

The Winner: Coconut Oil is The Healthiest Oil For Deep Frying

Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is your best choice overall.

Studies have shown that even after 8 hours of continuous deep frying at 365°F (180°C), its quality does not deteriorate (2).

Over 90% of the fatty acids in coconut oil are saturated, which makes it very resistant to heat.

Saturated fats used to be considered unhealthy, but new studies show that they are a completely harmless source of energy for humans (3, 4).

Additionally, coconut oil has numerous health benefits. For example, it can help kill harmful bacteria and viruses, and may even help you lose belly fat (5, 6).

Keep in mind that some varieties can leave a coconut flavor or smell, so I recommend that you try a few different brands until you find one that is suitable.

Another one to be considered down the list for me nokia - thanks.  Would have thought that coconut oil would leave a 'taste', but it is all test and trial I suppose.

Cheers

Ive seen the infomercials for those. For some reason i actually half watched rather than ignore the ad, which i usually do. This one really intrigued me and actually looked like it would do a good job.

How does it go for meat, like whole or rolled chickens, whole pork/beef scotch, rolled lamb etc on that rotisserie?

$350 tho :unsure: ......

Yeah I didn't think the Coles one would be any good and see it is refined in Malaysia also.

The Rice Bran is the one I will try first - on your recommendation, so I have someone to fall back on if it doesn't go down well :)  but really, I'm thinking you know your oils ;)

But if by chance it has a 'taste' for me, then like underpants mentions there are others to try as well.

Now peoples, we need more recipes for me (and others here too)  :D

Many cooking oils are imported. Checking mine..... Sunflower:Malaysia, Coconut:Thailand, Peanut:China.

The only Australian oil I've got is EVOO which i purchase direct off a local producer, not for deep frying tho :blink: .

Another one to be considered down the list for me nokia - thanks.  Would have thought that coconut oil would leave a 'taste', but it is all test and trial I suppose.

Indeed leaves a taste....delicious, mild, coconut taste :wub: !

The Philips Air Fryer IMO is the best for chips, seafood, meat, pies, roasts, sausages, meat balls, chops etc etc. No oil needed & all cooks much faster. Cooks beautiful juicy steaks. Chips always come out fantastic, whether frozen or cut from a raw potatoe. Vegies like capsicum, beans, pumpkin, onions all come out really good. Can do bacon rashers & if you get the dish with it, you can cook your eggs at the same time whether scrambled or sunny side up or other ways...like a raw egg within a roll scooped out. So many options & so many dishes all oil free. Heating up left overs come out great in lieu of using the microwave where food gets mushy etc. You can also make cakes in it......

Anyway, I have had one for nearly 3 years, bought my daughters one and it gets used daily. Quick & easy& I think a great investment.

Another gadget I have is a Tefal Cook for me. Another brilliant unit which makes fantastic slow cooked meals like stews & caseroles etc, awesome  fall off the bone lamb schanks and soups. Set & forget type cooking.

No more deep fryer for me!!!!!!!!.

They do sound good rybak, but is there really enough room for a full meal?

Meaning, if you have some chops, chips and a small variety of veg - can they all be done at once or do they all need to be done separately?  Thinking timing would be an issue to do all of that.

Like with a deep fryer, mine a twin basket, could do chips one side and say fish the other, but veg would microwaved.

But the air fryer would definitely be healthier.

With the larger model, you can do a full meal at once with a meat/fish dish and chips. Even in the standard unit you can do a couple of steaks, chips and some vegies. Definately healthier...

Probably the best way to buy one is through TVSN  (Chanel 14 on the Tele) or google TVSN as you can pay it off in instalments and if you dont like it after 30 days you get a full refund, no questions asked, as oposed to buying from a retailer & then you are stuck with it.    

ok peoples, if your secret recipes are secret, that is ok.......but I wont tell anyone...honest.

how about then, passing on some tips/tricks of frying foods e.g. how to get the best crisp on chips but still a soft centre, should oil be say 5c hotter than a receipe suggests, is it best to double cook some foods but not others, do you use a temp gauge for a more accurate reading than using the thermostat etc.etc.

There just examples, so can be anything you might have found to do a better job or tastier outcome. Remember, this is not just helping me but all others as well as I'm sure there will be a few tricks of the trade for all.

So bring it on :)

I found, the seceret for crispy tempura batter, you have to dip the fillets, then put the batter in the fridge/freezer while not using it. The colder you can keep it, the crispier it will be, without overcooking the fish.

As far as oils... apparently olive oil is no good for frying, as it burns quick, and leads to becoming carsinagenic.

I use peanut oil alot, as it gets very hot.

I also lay fillets in enough oil to submerse them, and hold them for afew secs just off the bottom of the pan, to let the batter cook alittle, and prevent it sticking to the bottom and coming off.

That realy helps keep the moisture in!

Best way to check if oil is hot enough, is to put a wooden spoon handle in, and bubbles should comeout. (Without a thermometer) and only acouple fillets at a time, or it brings down the oil temp too much.

I havent yet discovered how to keep the batter crispy though as it cools to room temp... have to eat it quick for best results..

Mother/inlaw paid luckily fatherinlaws birthday present. Nearly $2000 for 4 people... 10 courses, set menu. No choices, just sit there and enjoy it... each course matched with a different wine too.. pitty, i dont drink the stuff..

Easily the best cullinary experience of my life!

And that fish would be one of the hilights for me.

I have found the biggest tip for chips is to find the right spud as some are a lot better than others, golden delight is one of my favourite's at the moment.

I also par cook them in the fryer until they just started to colour up and soften drain, before laying out on news paper to cool right down before cooking them properly

My salt and pepper squid is

60g plain flour

40g corn flour

2 teaspoons of pink rock salt

1 t of fine black pepper

1 t of fine chilli powder

1 t of chilli flakes

1 t of 5 spice

1 t of hot paprika

I mix all ingredients in a freezer bag. Dip squid in to beaten egg whites and in the bag to coat then repeat again. The bag idea keeps the mess to a minimum.

And cook in small quantities to keep cooking time to around 1 to 1.5min per batch

As I have said already all I use is rice bran oil

Cheers

Wilda