So I'm lucky enough I'm going on a four day fully paid trip to Darwin in August by one of my suppliers

On the Saturday I had a choice of a few different activities. Options varied from the jumping crocs tour, the place that has the clear tub they put you down to the croc in, day spa, free day to your self etc etc

My choice of course was a full day fishing charter which I disappointedly found out today is a off shore charter. Don't get me wrong I'm sure it will be awesome but was really wishing to fulfill a long time dream on flicking some lures in the creeks and catching my first bara.

I also was told today that the day we arrive we have the afternoon to ourselves.

My hand got twitchy straight away thinking free time = fishing

My question is I'm going to chase a half day creek bash charter but who do I go with?

Anyone been with anyone up there that they would recommend?

Thanks

Lucky man keeno, a nice paid for trip :)

I'm surprised you didn't go for the day spa considering how hard you must work lol.

Never been to Darwin, and really nothing interests me up there, but I'm sure you will get on to some fishing whilst your there - good luck and enjoy the time.

My brothers have done a half day barra and crab tour in Darwin with the emphasis on the crabbing and only throwing a few small lures for baby barra around Darwin.

Few landbased spots for Barra if you have access to transport. My Bro caught quite a few legal barra landbased throwing lures or livebaiting mullet in the Darwin area.

Most barra charters are full day and travel a fair away from Darwin.

Also worth landbased fishing from stokes hill wharf, chasing some big diamod scale mullet from behind the deck chair cinema or chasing some milkfish from the rocks near doctors gully

Hi keenfisho

Haven't used a charter up that way for a while now (my favourite has now shifted from Darwin), but here's a link that may be of assistance:

http://www.darwinfishingcharters.net.au

Also, depending on what time in August you are up that way, you may be able to catch some of this:

https://www.airforce.gov.au/pitch-black-2016/?RAAF-3xDAz1/hk42suVVSpr1Cu8g/PIWlvnIr

I was up in Darwin during Pitch Black 2014 and 2016 and it was a blast to see some reasonably exotic aircraft at full noise.

Cheers

af

Thanks all

Will look into it

Knackers I'm up there Thursday Aug 18 till just after midday Sunday 21

From what I've been told we have the Thursday arvo and maybe the Sunday morning to ourselves

Saturday is pre booked with a whole day charter

Big tides that weekend - 7.5 m high, 0.86 low. 

Might be able to take you for a run on Sun morning. Fish the run out in some of the creeks. We'll catch sweet f&*^% in the harbour. What time will they have you back to work?

I call Barra 'unicorns'.

No worries. We'll just have to get out early from the creeks. Some of them I have in mind we won't be leaving until about 5pm if I screw it up! But can always have a flick around the headlands for Barra. The water is still really warm and people have still been catching them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi keenfisho

Haven't used a charter up that way for a while now (my favourite has now shifted from Darwin), but here's a link that may be of assistance:

http://www.darwinfishingcharters.net.au

Also, depending on what time in August you are up that way, you may be able to catch some of this:

https://www.airforce.gov.au/pitch-black-2016/?RAAF-3xDAz1/hk42suVVSpr1Cu8g/PIWlvnIr

I was up in Darwin during Pitch Black 2012 and 2014 and it was a blast to see some reasonably exotic aircraft at full noise.

Cheers

af

...a nice little display to frighten the Barra:

https://www.facebook.com/RoyalAustralianAirForce/videos/vb.88014372638/10154089306072639/?type=2&theater

Cheers

af

P.S. Good luck on your fishing expedition later this week.

Just out the front of the main street in the city, down that steep bank they get massive milkfish on bread. It was on a fishing show. I went there for work, but was lucky enough to be taken onto the navy base by a mate in the army. We fished their breakwater and i managed a small spaniard on metal slug, and 6 queenfish on live fuzaliers i got with a baitjig. Awesome fishing there!! But the humidity realy takes it out of you!!