Only a couple of Salmon but always a nice little rush!

Well conditions for Monday (yesterday) were going to be ok even though there was for generally Northerly winds at a moderate strength forecast – and I hate the wind, but thought I need to get out and find some more Salmon.

A low tide was for 12.30pm, so I had a plan to hit a couple of beaches with all intent of making sure I was at Pt Willunga for the low tide.  The reason being of 2 things 1) mainly Salmon but as a “by catch” I was hoping to recover a Gold Halco 40g lure I lost last Friday. 

I had snagged it not far out at all and with the line busting I thought just maybe at low tide I might find it. 

The low was for .5m so I wasn’t hopeful, which proved to be the case as not low enough – bugga.

So the car is packed, and my new first choice of rod is the Diawa Seabass 110MH (11’) is lured up and I head to Southport about 10.30am.

IMGP6051.JPG

Conditions didn’t look too bad, only one noticeable gutter.

IMGP6037.JPG

IMGP6039.JPG

IMGP6040.JPG

Normally I have been parking down near the Pt Noarlunga surf club and flick lures up to Southport and return.  But today I thought I would park by the Southport footbridge and spend about an 1 ½ hours between the club house and the river mouth.

IMGP6041.JPG

On to the beach and no-one else fishing, so straight down to the water flicking my trusty old successful lure and casting close to 70 - 80mts with my new weapon. 

My lure looks well-worn but from using other lures like the Halco’s for example, this one has been my best performer in catching Salmon – it’s like, if the ‘other’ lures aren’t doing their job I get out my “Mr Reliant”.

IMGP6052.JPG

Gradually reached that shown gutter and got a hit after a couple of casts.  It gave an ok fight so I knew it wasn’t big, but hey it was a start. 

But nothing more after that one, so started walking towards the mouth and with the tide low I was able to out in the shallows to reach hopefully a little deeper water.

I noticed now that someone else had turned up flicking lures as well.

Scanning the area there was a shadow, but it didn’t seem to be moving so it could be some weed – hopefully not. 

So first cast just passed it I retrieved a little faster and with rod slightly higher than normal making sure that if it was weed I didn’t get caught in it.

Bang !!  Lure taken and it was fighting very well.  Rod bent nicely, drag tightened slightly as it was taking a little bit of line and slowly side stepping back to the beach to land this sambo.

Retrieved the hook, bled it and straight back for more.  I signaled the other guy fishing trying to point out to come down here as there was a school and thought he should in the fun – he politely waved back but didn’t come down, so my signaling needs improving.

Just as well he didn’t come down as he must have known, as the next 20 or so casts there were no more Salmon. The shadow remained, so gathered it must have been weed with just unlucky Salmon strolling by.

The other fisherman had now left and wasn’t far behind, but first stop was to Fishing Wholesalers for a weigh in of .830g (40cm)– so not bad.

IMGP6047.JPG

Off now to Pt Willunga for my lost lure (which as mentioned wasn’t to be seen).  Conditions were about the same as Southport but did seem slightly windier – did I mention I hate the wind!

IMGP6042.JPG

IMGP6043.JPG

Walked up just past the reef where I had caught a couple of dozen ST’s last Friday releasing the small ones and kept a dozen nice sized ones.

Bang !! Another fighter and of equally strength as the previous one.  Beached and bled and only just a little shy of the first one in weight but a few cms longer (43cm)

Unfortunately nothing else along the beach and by now it was about 2pm, so decided to gut this one.  It had just eaten with 2 small fish inside its gut.

IMGP6049.JPG

On the way home I thought Maslins Beach is worth a try with all the new gutters since the storms. 

I had estimated close to 18 gutters along the whole beach from last visit and they all looked so fishable.

On arriving at the bottom carpark, I noticed the small creek outlet had opened up even more than last Friday. Previously it no drainage out to sea and was generally a little bit of ‘pond’ dirty water. Now it has had the sad sides carved away with a near 2mt drop and a nice flush out with a bit of a stream happening towards the sea.

IMGP6044.JPG

IMGP6045.JPG

IMGP6046.JPG

Walked the beach with nothing even touching the lure but there was a nice calmness around – yes the wind had dropped significantly – at last, but I was on my way now – typical !!

Got home to clean up and of course the dog has her nose up and could smell there was something in this for her. 

She likes fish, so she wanted to get in on the act, she got her S&H beanie for a photo knowing she would enjoy some tea tonight.

IMGP6053.JPG

IMGP6050.JPG

IMGP6055.JPG

Hope you enjoyed the read.

Nice weapon and a good few salmon to reward the day Doobie.  Pity you couldn't salvage your lost lure, maybe next time :)

The 'weapon' was proudly sold to me by Southie whilst I was at the Fishing Wholesalers new opening weekend - he knows his stuff !!  And honestly I am very happy with the purchase. :)

Thanks for the report Doobie. Those Seabass rods are great, I've got the 9'6" model myself. ;)

I passed on the salmon this weekend to have a go at some bream on lures, should have stuck with salmon fishing. :unsure:

Saw on FB that a shark was laying into some seals down at Southport, hope he eats them all. Might be time to break out the big rod as well, anyone know where I can buy seal chunks? :sh

Nice weapon and a good few salmon to reward the day Doobie. Pity you couldn't salvage your lost lure, maybe next time :)

The 'weapon' was proudly sold to me by Southie whilst I was at the Fishing Wholesalers new opening weekend - he knows his stuff !! And honestly I am very happy with the purchase. :)

Glad you like it mate. Always happy to help anyone out... if i sold people crap and not suited for them then we wouldn't have customers come through.

Comments like that make me enjoy my job even more.

Well done mate great report!

Thanks for the report Doobie. Those Seabass rods are great, I've got the 9'6" model myself. ;)

I passed on the salmon this weekend to have a go at some bream on lures, should have stuck with salmon fishing. :unsure:

Saw on FB that a shark was laying into some seals down at Southport, hope he eats them all. Might be time to break out the big rod as well, anyone know where I can buy seal chunks? :sh

Yes I've been converted to them now as well.

Yeah read about the shark.  I didn't see any seals yesterday, but they are there somewhere - although one less now :)

Great report & pics doobie, Boy I used to love fishing those areas back when I lived in Sth Australia.. thanks for bringing back some good memories mate.. (y)

cheers

Adrian

Glad to help Ardian and I gather you were a southerner then.

But I'm sure you will be getting into those trout now though :)

As above.

Bloody fantastic report :clap: Great photos that speak for themselves :)  This is  (posts and photos) we all  need to  do to make the site #1 IMO.

Cheers

Cheers Panga and I hope everyone can make the effort to make S&H no. 1.

A few reports lately with attached photos are all a worthy read for all us.

Nice weapon and a good few salmon to reward the day Doobie. Pity you couldn't salvage your lost lure, maybe next time :)

The 'weapon' was proudly sold to me by Southie whilst I was at the Fishing Wholesalers new opening weekend - he knows his stuff !! And honestly I am very happy with the purchase. :)

Glad you like it mate. Always happy to help anyone out... if i sold people crap and not suited for them then we wouldn't have customers come through.

Comments like that make me enjoy my job even more.

Well done mate great report!

No worries Southie - glad to do business with you and more to come ;)

Thanks for the read with great photos. Must get the poppers out and head down that way.Would like to get some salmon on the surface. Regards, HBt.

Well whenever you do, we'll point you in the right direction.

Poppers are so good with the Salmon.  I came across a big school in the shallows at Maslins not long back, but hadn't packed the poppers  :facepalm: would have been amazing.

As above.

Bloody fantastic report :clap: Great photos that speak for themselves :)  This is  (posts and photos) we all  need to  do to make the site #1 IMO.

Cheers

Brilliant Report ... loved it

PS - S & H is already no. 1 

As above.

Cheers

Brilliant Report ... loved it

PS - S & H is already no. 1 

You are right Chief, and how we were thinking it wasn't already the No.1 fishing site entirely inexcusable  :blush:

Here's to keeping S&H No.1 :d/   (y)