Iv got a TFO BVK 2 reel and im happy with it.....just wondered what other people are using ?...I fly fished alot in the uk years ago but have just started to get into it again after about 15 years, the gear has changed alot since then !  I went for a mid to low range reel, but noticed some of the sage and abel reels are up there in price.....are they really worth the coin or are you just paying for the name ? Some fly reels are in excess of 1000 bucks , what do you get for the money ? 

Your better off spending the extra money to upgrade your reel on some good quality fly lines. 

Any fish that your likely to tie into down here fly fishing can be stopped by palming the reel. 

Any saltwater use with your reel will just need a good clean after. 

In my opinion, save your money for mid range gear when starting out. Especially in SA as your likely to do some creek bashing when your looking for new spots. 

No sense scratching up your 500 $ Abel reel etc. 

Most reels in the upperrange get you better drag, bearings, fully enclosed etc. All great and if I could afford a 1000 dollar reel I'd likely get one despite what I've said above BUT the quality of the reel doesn't catch you fish in any event ;)

All the advice I found when starting fly fishing was buy the best rod you can afford, then the best lines you can afford and finally whatever reel you can get with the money left over.

Unless you are chasing large game fish the reel is just a line storage device. If you are going to chase bigger fish which in SA would be large salmon, mullies, kingfish, snapper and tuna then you will be a better reel but anything large arbor with a smooth drag should do.

The insane prices for fly fishing gear is more of a status symbol than anything. Like it is in any hobby really.

I've caught up to some good sized barra on my entry level Orvis encounter 8wt combo with no issue.

I agree with sbarnden the reel is just a line storage system. I started with a real cheap silstar reel, BUT! that was too cheap and the foot broke so i bought an ABU  Fly Max and still use it today has been a great little reel. I did upgrade to have a better reel when my mother went to England years ago and got me a Scientific Angler "System 2" reel dirt cheap with no taxes B)  which is a very nice reel and worth the extra money!

I got into Saltwater Flyfishing and bought an Okuma Integrity I 10/11 that reel has been ok for what i wanted BUT! the finish is not that good and i must of not cleaned properly sometime as it has a little corrosion on it doesn't affect the reel just looks a little dodgy :(  Matched to an ABU Gold Max IM6 Graphite rod the combo wasn't that dear, picked the rod up when fishermans paradise closed to move shops  :D

As sbarnden said spend as much as you can on the rod it is along with the line the most important bit! I went with a quality Killwell rod from New Zealand for my main rod and matched with my System 2 reel makes a great light outfit.

I have always used Cortland fly lines but there are many good brands out there. I would go with the simple Double Taper line to start with then move on to the line that best suits the conditions you fish, slow sink,, quick sink, weight forward, intermediate, etc etc. Love my fly fishing wish we had rivers and lakes like the other states  :(

hope this helps a little 

Cheers Chuck

20160513_115310.jpg