Kingfish live baiting combo.

Ok so ive been wanting to have a go at the Port Augusta kingies for some time now and will be heading up in the next few weeks depending on weather tides ect. I have a lure throwing outfit (50lb terez 10000 saragosa 50lb braid) which will be rigged ready to go should the opportunity arise. I want to

to by a combo to live bait with and possibly a down rigger. Dont want to spend a million dollars thinking $400 or there abouts.thinking 24kg overhead set up. Thinking of buying a TLD 25 spooling with 50lb mono and suitable rod with whats left-over.

Any thoughts?

What are you guys using?

50lb momo yes? No? My thinking is mono less likely to get snapped of on structure.

Would love to hear some opinions and other options cheers guys.

I have caught a few kings up there live baiting with a TLD 25 with 50lb mono and worked fine. I have since gone away from this as I have been throwing the livies around a bit, not really casting but lobbing them out the back. I would happily use a TLD if all I was doing was downrigging. Otherwise I would go a Fin-nor, saltist or maybe even a stradic.

Daiwa demon blood spin stick i would choose. Just going by a show i watch on tv...

Id probrably have half my reel spooled with 25lb braid purely for capacity.. because its 2-3 times thinner than monno. Youd want 800meters to play with atleast imo..

Mono will also fatigue after afew good fish, and loose alot of strength, so worth taking extra to respool if the action is hot, or you need 2 put the breaks on a big fish.

I learned that the hard way in a yellowfin tuna comp...

@lureaddict. This is another fish I target since I caught my first one in July 1998 at Pt Augusta. 

I use a TLD 15, 25 & a Penn Senator II - 113H. All have caught a Kingie or two on 24kg overhead rods like a Beastmaster 5.5ft. The TLD's are spooled with 60lb & 80lb braid respectively and the Penn with 50lb mono. Make sure you have a gimble belt/bucket!!!.  The TLD 20 will be ample spooled with either braid or mono. Good luck.....

• 3 months later...