The ever changing trends on Spinning reels

Just some observations I've made on spinning reels the last couple of months.

I've noticed a lot of people trying to offload mag sealed reels lately (on forums, Facebook etc.) and even more people seeking out the older model (pre mag seal) Saltiga Zs etc.

It looks like the hype surrounding this magic magnetic oil of the last couple of years has come crashing back to the reality of serviceability for Daiwa. With the company refusing to make their mag seal oil available to the public for self servicing.

Interestingly, Alan Hawk who breaks down and tests spinning reels like no other has no removed all mag sealed reels from his 'lists': http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lists.html

Due to the fact of serviceability for people in countries without Daiwa service centres etc.

I believe the last couple years Daiwa would have dominated the spinning reel market, but it seems now Shimano is coming back to the forefront. Following the success of the Saragosa SW (pretty much 100% waterproof) and Stradic FK along with the refining of the current Stella SW (after some teething issues).

I love my Shimano reels and was recently considering a purchase on a Daiwa, but I think I've changed my mind.

My mid-range Saragosa SW, Aero Ci4 and Rarenium have been flawless so far.

I still love my Daiwa rods though, I wish Shimano would bring in more of their JDM rods (Coltsnipers, Dialunas etc.)

Enough of me rambling on, anyone else have any thoughts or observations on this?

I have no experience with the magseal reels. I have always filled my spin reels with boat trailer wheel bearing grease, it keeps water and sand from getting in for the most part and it's cheap.

As far as Daiwa and Shimano, both companies make reels I like and some I don't like. For smaller spin reels I prefer Shimano's mid-range stuff like the Symetres. Daiwa's medium size star drag overheads like the Sealine X series are brilliant reels, as are the lever drag TLDs from Shimano.

This was in no way meant to be a Daiwa v Shimano thing.

Just an observation on how reel trends can come and go.

Was noticing a lot of people preferring Daiwas older technology to the new.

These were all people who bought a high end, mag sealed Daiwa, who then for some reason changed their minds and preferred the older reel models.

I'm just wondering why this is?

I recently have gone back to the older models. Fairly bullet proof if maintained properly. Was lucky enough to score a new saltiga 4500z and a new catalina 4500z. Love the old school models for their tuffness. Good ones are getting rarer. Also in the process of fixing an old 4500h that had been neglected and abused by a previous owner. Hahaha.

The current saltiga is supposedly a better design in terms of the magseal arrangement but time will tell.

You are spot on the seviceable aspect of the older models compared to the newer reels. Pretty hopeless if you can't even get the oil here in Australia. See how future models evolve. Cheers

20160720_122631.jpg

20160728_100827.jpg

If you have no problems then it's all good. I know of a few issues that mate's have had but love my daiwa gear all the same. Possibly a few guys just unlucky. I still got a couple mag seal certates,last years models that I haven't used but hopefully will give them a good bash this season as I have some more time now.

My mate also got stung buying an interstate magseal catalina on gumtree which was supposedly unused. But had the hassle of sending it away for magseal repair to daiwa. He is still waiting for it last time we spoke.

I picked up the current model saltiga and it felt really nice but don't know anyone that has really given one a good workout yet. Still tempted to buy one. Hahaha

I had a problem with my 2010 Dogfight that wasn't related to the mag seal but to the wrong grease in the anti-reverse clutch. Repaired under warranty. 

The dogfight has been brilliant since then and I can't fault it. It has been smashed around a fair bit and caught some decent fish. I have got a 2015 5500 Expedition that is yet to get a workout but will soon. 

The lack of magseal oil might be a pain for some but sending the reel away ever few years or so for a Daiwa service doesn't bother me too much seeing as how I have never cracked a spinning reel open gearbox/rotor wise. How many people service their own reels to this degree? I'll pull my overheads apart no worries but they are just a glorified winch. 

Saying all this I think as Daiwa goes more and more magseal they will have to trust a greater amount of agents to service these reels. And I think the whole idea of magseal is to remove servicing requirements as all they need is a quick rinse less those non magseal bearings. Time will tell but I won't be selling mine just yet.