Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the site so forgive me if I have posted this in an inappropriate category! For a long time now I've been subjected to hearing the seemingly endless stories of my cousins'  successful snook fishing sessions on the planks of the Pt Hughes and Moonta Bay jetties... so much so that I have decided to have a crack at targeting this species myself closer to the year's end. In the past, the majority of my fishing has been focused upon land based bream and salmon and so I certainly see snook as a new and exciting challenge. If possible, I'd really appreciate some advice regarding optimal gear, lures/baits, conditions etc for snook in the context of the Copper Triangle area's jetties.

Cheers,

Sammydubs

Always watch others catching them as snook will accumulate in a certain area,so once you know where they are then you can have a crack at them.

We would target then at night with a small chunk of bait exposed hook under a light pencil float

I should add that it was at a darker part of the jetty with a weedy bottom,they didn't seem to get caught anywhere else on that jetty

Hi bud. Snook can't resist a slowly retrieved unweighted blue bait or frogmouth pilchard. Fish with a fluorocarbon leader around 20lb. Thin but thick enough to cop a few nicks from the fish etc. Can also fish them under a small float too like previously mentioned. Small fish strips present well under a float too.

Lures work well too like plastics or hard bodies,metals.

Something to think about also is if u are fishing light u may need a decent crab net handy to use to land the fish. Seems over kill to some but school mulloway and rat kings take these baits also and have seen too many good fish lost to unprepared anglers. Just a little tip. Good luck. Cheers.

I'm showing my age here.I used to go to the fish markets and buy gar fish fillets for around $1.50 a kilo and turn them into an esky full of snook. I would use 3 1/0s ganged on 20lb line with no weight.With the wind to your back cast as far past the light as possible (at night) and a very slow retrieve pausing to let it sink.This method worked well on the old Rapid bay jetty, Wallaroo and Port Vic.Good luck

Under the jetty light, unweighted half garfish or pilchard and you will have a ball. Any clear surface lures such as the bassday sugapen will also work if the snook are I'm the mood which they often are. Using heavier gear when chucking $20 lures near planks. Sometimes a crab net will come in handy if you hook some of the larger models.

I don't bother trying to catch them during the day.

Not the location you are after but my best success has been shore jigging for them while wading off Marino rocks.

Caught a lot on slim metal jigs such as leadfish and also silver halco twisters.

Definitely a viable target wading if you can cover rocky and weedy ground.

Had some nice follows and sightings wading on the northern flats out over the deeper weedbeds but not in the channels.

• 2 weeks later...

read a sa angler article many years ago on the subject which was a great help and used some or the info to great effect when modified for different areas and my style....

two hooks snooded the first pushed from underneath the baits head through the top used as a tow point and the second through the bait towards the rear....

was around a size 1 and a size 6 or 8 on a 10-12lb leader (checked after each fish) blue bait were the best with froggies a close second and whit bait ad a back up. unweighted or a split shot or two and slowly retrieved with long pauses.....

worked well for me on any jetty around and after dark.