Hey all,

Got an email from BCF and seriously considering picking up a 4000 2016 Ci4 + at ~$280 ish on special.

Now, this reel would be used for lure casting Salmon, spinning for smaller kings,local mulloway live baiting and snapper.

I'm wondering if the Ci4 body would be strong enough to withstand fishing like this? Or is I likely to flex under the load of a decent Mulloway or ~80cm king?

Any opinions much appreciated.

Cheers

Don't do it

Just got a used one delivered about a year old,looked as new.Then i turned the handle..what is that noise?

Never had anything like that on a 1000 or 4000fg,then i got on forums and i wished i read forum reviews before spending the money.

I typed in noisy shimano stradic and shimano grinding sound and many just said they are now junk for the money,they have a short life.I'll get my money back and buy something else and keep away from shimano gear

So much for shimano,lots of other brands out there to choose from but for the price of a new stradic..no thanks

Don't do it

Just got a used one delivered about a year old,looked as new.Then i turned the handle..what is that noise?

Never had anything like that on a 1000 or 4000fg,then i got on forums and i wished i read forum reviews before spending the money.

I typed in noisy shimano stradic and shimano grinding sound and many just said they are now junk for the money,they have a short life.I'll get my money back and buy something else and keep away from shimano gear

So much for shimano,lots of other brands out there to choose from but for the price of a new stradic..no thanks

Any info as to why they do that or anything? Personally havent heard much bad about stradics.... although i dont have the newest model

Apparently they are all getting the same type of sound best described as a "noisy reel" with the end result being it's wearing out.Some replies were to check the line roller bearing but those reels didn't have line on the roller for that being the issue.

I really wanted one of these reels for my flathead lure casting and just disappointed to know that shimano stradics are now a short life reel

PS..

if i was so impressed having this Ci4+ i would have spent the money on a new one and had 2 of them,but that's not happening now

I have used stradic and rarenium Ci4 & Ci4+ for close to 10 years.

And they are always getting abused and immersed as a wading fisherman.

Never had a problem. Occasionally get them serviced every 3 years or so. Otherwise a quick spray over them before fishing is all they have needed.

Highly recommend them.

Cheers, Des

@SurfcaztR perhaps you should post up those links to your issues with the Ci4`s.

This would allow us fellow fishers read them as well gaining more insight as to the problems you have encountered.

Perhaps even allow for some quick and easy remedies / maintenance fixes to help you out.

" A problem shared is a problem halved ". So they say.......

SF

Took my stradic ci4 to cairns few months back (3000) loaded it with 20lb ppwer pro caught spanish maks all day up to a metre no problem!

I reckon this may be one of the problems with these smaller reels that have good drags. We fish them too hard. Not having a go at you lureaddict (I have caught big golden trevally on mine on SPs, it is good fun), but I would have thought that a 3000 stradic was a 10lb line max fishing reel and setting a realistic drag. I have one as well and it is only a 2500 body with a larger spool. I know people like to fish light but low-mid price 2500 size reels for me are my tommy, salmon trout, flathead and whiting reels. Of course you can catch larger stuff but if it is done day in and day out then surely it will start to have an effect on anti reverse clutches, gears etc.

"I reckon this may be one of the problems with these smaller reels that have good drags. We fish them too hard."

Yes could be very much the case

I was thinking about doing a short vid for youtube showing 4 other reels being the same size and the stradic,think of it this way.

Whatever reel you got that runs smoothly with standardl noise-now amplify that sound by 4 times and you got the stradic sound.Still runs smoothly,no play in rotor,handle or spool shaft.No grinding sound so it's not bearings.Over 50 years of fishing and over 100 reels (tackle junkie) never heard anything like it before

Any way your money your choice

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=64612

http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-174157.html

Looking at the black gold, would people recommend the 3000 or 4000?

The 3500 would be nice judging by the daiwa site, but I don't think that'll be in store here ;/

If Your interested mate we have the full range in store at work.... They certainly seem like a good bit of kit and well priced to. 

The 3500 would be nice judging by the daiwa site, but I don't think that'll be in store here ;/

If Your interested mate we have the full range in store at work.... They certainly seem like a good bit of kit and well priced to. 

Tell us how much?

Was playing with a saltist nero the other day and they seemed all right. Had a bad experience with a cheaper daiwa so have been reluctant to go back.

"I reckon this may be one of the problems with these smaller reels that have good drags. We fish them too hard."

Yes could be very much the case

I was thinking about doing a short vid for youtube showing 4 other reels being the same size and the stradic,think of it this way.

Whatever reel you got that runs smoothly with standardl noise-now amplify that sound by 4 times and you got the stradic sound.Still runs smoothly,no play in rotor,handle or spool shaft.No grinding sound so it's not bearings.Over 50 years of fishing and over 100 reels (tackle junkie) never heard anything like it before

Any way your money your choice

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=64612

http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-174157.html

I was having a look on google as well and it seems nobody has tried to fix the problem or worked out what it is - just noisy. It could be something simple like the wrong grease on the anti-reverse clutch or a dodgy one. Happened to my Saltiga Dogfight, sent it back for warranty works. Stuff happens, even with expensive well regarded gear.

Tell us how much?

Was playing with a saltist nero the other day and they seemed all right. Had a bad experience with a cheaper daiwa so have been reluctant to go back.

2000 starts at $189.95 to the 8000 at $249.95. Thats the general price Australia wide at the moment.

When I head down, I reckon I'll have a good play with the Aird X aswell. Similar specs to the BG SW.

They won't last saltwater fishing,classed as a fresh water reel.

See, I've never understood that. I appreciate you letting me know, but why make a real that can't stand up to saltwater fishing, I'm guessing due to corrosion etc, then mark it corrosion resistant? Should make everything to a standard that can cope in a marine (not necessarily harsh) environment. 

Thanks for letting me know though fella. I'll still have a play though, cause you know, you can never not enjoy having a play with 1/2 decent gear ;)

I had a play with one and I still prefer my FG Rarenium Ci4+'s value wise....plenty of sellers selling them at sub $180 now also.

I totally agree with the fishing too hard statement on the smaller reels....the advertised drag specs are often rather dubious at best.....a drag rating should be what the reel can sustain over time not what its best capacity is over a couple minutes.

Classic example is my FG Rarenium 4000...11kg drag lol yet my 2012 Catalina 4000H is rated at 10kg ;)