Banana Theory ~ Myth Busted!

few days ago we planned to go out today,, while reading alot online about the banana being bad luck i decided to test it outwell 3 of us on the boat 3 bananastold the boys about this 'bad luck' banana thing and they were happy to give it ago!well.. launch at StKilda at 7.30 am (was half a car park full of traliers by then)..this is what we getPosted Imageanyway headed straight to semi reef still giggling about this banana theory.. few bits of banter going on..this is after about 2hrsPosted Imageso were giggling thinking this is actually the best haul we have had in a LONG timemaking sure banana is photographed ;DPosted Imagemite i add in this session these crabs were latching on to EVERYTHING including one time 1 crab 2 claws BOTH on the fuel line :o will be changing that set up ASAPOur 20ltr buckets were that full this is twice tipped inPosted Imageback to the property were everything got tipped out and cleanedPosted ImagePosted Imageround about counting was48 crabs37 garnot bad for 4hrs and 3 bananas onboard :)not one undersize crab in the total haul.. we threw back probably bout 2 gar 2 puffers (pain) and 3 trumpetersnow how can you say bananas on a boat are bad luck ? ;D

:icon_lol:I took someone snapper fishing over to the shoals the other day and I and the rest of the crew nearly died when one bloke pulled out a banana... we never got any snapper which we were targeting only very big whiting :-\Went locally the other day in someone elses boat(without bananas) and we bagged out on big snapper .fish. .fishswim.

Guest addict

never ever mention the word BANNANA especially around anything to do with fishing :-X.You may have jagged a few gar but remember crabs arent scale fish lol.Great post and i liked the way you tried to prove the theory wrong

Geez boys you gotta grow up soon and forget all these old wives tales about a lump or two of fruit giving you bad luck ::) ::) ???I worked with a "Sparky" who only used white conduits for his beach rod rests 'cos he swore that the fish could sense an orange one in the sand and would go off the bite ??? ::) ::) ::)Another well known Adelaide fishing identity (now deceased) wrote in one of his books that if fishing for Snapper on a full moon night, you should always immediately cover your Snapper with sack cloth as the flesh would become soft with "MOONBURN" ??? ??? ::) ::)Gotta add that I've been fishing for a lot longer than I care to remember and this is the first time I've heard of the "BANANA" theory.I guess I'd better respect it or I wont get an invite out fishing with you boys :stir: :icon_e_biggrin:Cheers, tonyb.

Guest matty_G

I think i noticed snapper rods in the background of one of those photos? perhaps you were actually fishin for snapper and the banannas only brought you gar n crabs therefore makin the banana theory correct? :stir: :stir: :stir: lol

2 gar rigs 1 squid rig 1 rig MrG uses for sharks.. 1 whiting rig.. other rod wasnt used..the funny thing about colours.. we did seem to notice the rod with orange beads above the hooks didnt catch much gar at all.. one with no beads caught mostthe rock/sand crab hitched a ride most the way.. he was stuck to a bluey (with no choice of his own).. he was returned to the water at a later time

launch at StKilda at 7.30 am (was half a car park full of traliers by then)..

:icon_lol: you would have drove staright past LL jnr and Myself as we fished the channel :icon_lol: Wave hello next time ::) I was wearing a blue trackies, long sleeve tan shirt and a blue sleeveless jacket and black Daiwa cap ??? ring any bells ??? :icon_lol:Great report Goldie ;)

one eyed ? least that would have made the trip special lol

- it was foul hooked in the gut!
Reckon you'd better check with Jagger on that one Tyke, he's our acknowledged expert in that department and I even heard he was issuing certificates for placement and quality of the strike!!!Anal orifices max your Grade to "First Class" and then a sliding scale kicks in as you drift off the "Bullseye" :icon_lol: :icon_lol:Cheers,tonyb.

My wife is an absolute expert at catching toadies,if any toadies are caught on a fishing trip, she'll be the one that caught it/them.She even caught 2 small toadies on the one hook once, I'll add a photo later if I can find a copy (I didn't take it)However, my reason for replying, she catches one eyed toadies regularly and on 2 occasions caught a Toadie with NO eyes (in the same location) I might mention that it was in good condition and so assume it is still able to find food., we always return them without harm.John JvS08

Reckon you'd better check with Jagger on that one Tyke, he's our acknowledged expert in that department and I even heard he was issuing certificates for placement and quality of the strike!!!Anal orifices max your Grade to "First Class" and then a sliding scale kicks in as you drift off the "Bullseye" Cheers,tonyb.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:Actualy managed an entire days fishing without jagging one up the clacker the other day. Gee.. must be losing my edge ;D :fishing:

Actualy managed an entire days fishing without jagging one up the clacker the other day. Gee.. must be losing my edge ;D :fishing:

BULLLSHIIIIIT!!!There's not a single person on S&H believes that Jags :stir: :stir:, you trying to clean up your tarnished reputation and make out you're some sort of an :angel: :angel: :angel: mate?? :icon_e_biggrin: :icon_e_biggrin: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:Cheers, Tony.

not a bad haul the goldie I recon it is about time to start fishing crabbing the shallows again . Thank you best wishes BB

[ : I was wearing a blue trackies, long sleeve tan shirt and a blue sleeveless jacket and black Daiwa cap ??? ring any bells ??? :icon_lol:Great report Goldie ;)

what happened to the FORD hat ?

BULLLSHIIIIIT!!!There's not a single person on S&H believes that

Made up for it today guys, I was fishing for reddies and still managed to get a couple with the rear trebles half way up the you know what !!! Even managed to jag a carp which shot off a million miles an hour labing me nothing but a scale. .hissy.The sad thing about it all is that it makes the fish feel 3 x larger than what it is >:( :oIt's been happening to me all my fishing life, others see me at it and just think it's stange.... hehehee... ( can't balme them ) I just keep telling myself that same old saying.... You don't paint pictures, you just write the score ..... :icon_lol:
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He always makes a huge fuss about not having bannanas anywhere near him but it scares the fish away. I dont know how! He must think its the smell,

Here's the one version of the fact behind the myth:

Bananas are considered bad luck on a fishing boat by many captains. There is a basis for this belief. It may be a myth, but it can influence your catch.The bad luck theory of bananas is derived from the misfortune of stevedores unloading banana boats from Central America. The cargo most often contained biting spiders that not only were painful, but occasionally deadly. Stevedores considered it bad luck to be assigned to unloading a banana boat. This is the truth behind the myth.The effect that this superstition has on anglers is real. As you know from reading the first installment in this fishing clinic, Karma is very important. The mere thought of bad luck can cause an imbalance in the captain and/or crew's Ying and Yang. The imbalance results in a poor catch. Bananas are bad luck only for those who believe they are bad luck. However, one superstitious crewmember can affect an entire boat's Karma. Many boats product fine catches with bananas onboard. Typically these boats are yellow and have names like Chiquita. By over playing the banana myth, Karma on these boats is maintained even with superstitious crewmembers onboard.The belief that the smell or oil in bananas causes the bad luck is totally false. This theory has been proven incorrect. Captains have used banana skins for lures and caught fish on them. The impact that the banana myth has had on fishermen highlights the important lesson in The Zen Of Fishing. Maintaining proper balance while fishing requires an uncluttered mind. Superstition clutters the mind, creating imbalance. Clear your mental slate before fishing.Counter to the bad luck superstition, good luck thoughts can also create imbalance. A favorite lure can often become a good luck charm. Losing that lure creates bad luck. An angler knowing the Zen of fishing will avoid good or bad luck superstitions. Too many thoughts make being one with the fish more difficult. Remember the primitive brain is the key to harmony. Simplify your thoughts to simplify oneness.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/125124/how_to_catch_more_fish_the_banana_myth.html

Some more interesting trivia theories...

One superstition is that boats carrying bananas don't catch fish. The origin of this belief dates back to the Caribbean trade of the 1700s. The wooden sailing boats of that time had to move quickly to deliver bananas before they spoiled, and fishermen had a hard time trolling for fish on such fast-moving boats, which is how the superstition came about. Another superstition that originated during that time is that bananas will cause a boat to sink. This belief developed after many boats never made it to their destinations, and all of the doomed boats were carrying bananas.One of the creepier superstitions is that banana cargo could actually kill a man. In actuality, fermenting bananas do give off methane gas, which could conceivably get trapped below deck and kill any crew members unlucky enough to be working in the hold. Another popular theory was that venomous spiders hitched rides in bananas, and once those bananas were onboard, the boat would be host to any number of lethal critters. And then, of course, there's the theory that banana peels cause crew members to slip and fall on deck.

Another source perhaps gives a more believable origin to this superstition...

Back in the days of the transatlantic crossings by wooden sailing ships many hazards would befall the captains, crew and passengers. Disease, pirates, shipwrecks, storms, etc., claimed the lives of a good percentage of the captains, crew and passengers attempting the dangerous voyage. Needless to say, a transatlantic crossing in the 17th and 18th centuries was a very risky endeavor. Often the vessels would stop along the way in tropical islands to gather provisions such as food and water. There the passengers and crew would often purchase wooden crates of bananas from the locals and bring them aboard the ship. These crates would have all manner of critters in them such as bugs, spiders, vermin and snakes. These critters would make their way into the bilges of the ships, multiply, and then find their way into the captain's quarters. The captains circulated the rumor that bananas were bad luck in an attempt to keep the critters off the ship and out of their cabin. The crew and passengers were more than eager to follow suit because of the inherent risk of the crossing. So, if the captain announced prior to the voyage that bananas were bad luck and not allowed aboard the vessel, everyone complied. You must remember that these were the days of burning witches and the like, so superstitions were taken very seriously.

Believe whatever you like, I still like bananas, but strictly while being a land lubber!!!Tight Lines! :fishing:[glow=red,2,300]See Ya at the River Bank...[/glow]